testtest

saint victor pistol help

I have saint victor ar pistol i change the barrel length so my suppressor would work, and it worked great with the suppressor on but it wouldn't fire unsuppressed i told change the buffer weight so i changed the buffer weight and it still will not fire unsuppressed i been next thing is change to heavier buffer spring does anybody know else i could try.

I have saint victor ar pistol i change the barrel length so my suppressor would work, and it worked great with the suppressor on but it wouldn't fire unsuppressed i told change the buffer weight so i changed the buffer weight and it still will not fire unsuppressed i been next thing is change to heavier buffer spring does anybody know else i could try.
Is this a .300blk pistol?

Are you using subsonic ammo?

If you are using .300blk subsonic ammo without a suppressor you will most likely end up with cycling failures.

Unless you find the right balance of parts shooting unsuppressed .300blk subsonic rounds will most not cycle properly. It's kinda a roll of the dice with subsonic .300blk ammo.

I'm not sure how a change in barrel length would help in the case of .300blk ammo considering practically all .300blk AR's use a pistol length gas system except for the rare few that don't.

Is this a .300blk pistol?

Are you using subsonic ammo?

If you are using .300blk subsonic ammo without a suppressor you will most likely end up with cycling failures.

Unless you find the right balance of parts shooting unsuppressed .300blk subsonic rounds will most not cycle properly. It's kinda a roll of the dice with subsonic .300blk ammo.

I'm not sure how a change in barrel length would help in the case of .300blk ammo considering practically all .300blk AR's use a pistol length gas system except for the rare few that don't.

Sigh. These aren’t tinkertoys.

You’ve added so many variables in that it’s impossible to say exactly what the problem is.

Personally, don’t see the point of putting on a new barrel just to run a can; why not buy a complete upper at that point? Much less hassle.

But, it sounds like you’re undergassed without a can. New gas block will work (I like JP), or—smarter move—build a new upper with an adjustable gas key BCG.

Or just buy the correct barrel length the first time.

it shoots fine with the supressor on its doesnt shoot with no supressor on it do think still its needs a change of gas block because i am using the factory gas block
Contact Springfield Armory customer service because it sounds like they need to see your firearm for potential warranty work. Your rifle should work from the factory with correct cycling without the need of a suppressor. Is this a new firearm or did you buy it used?

Springfield Armory Customer Service

1-800-680-6866

Contact Springfield Armory customer service because it sounds like they need to see your firearm for potential warranty work. Your rifle should work from the factory with correct cycling without the need of a suppressor. Is this a new firearm or did you buy it used?

Springfield Armory Customer Service

1-800-680-6866
He swapped barrels…don’t think warranty covers that.

Sigh. These aren’t tinkertoys.

You’ve added so many variables in that it’s impossible to say exactly what the problem is.

Personally, don’t see the point of putting on a new barrel just to run a can; why not buy a complete upper at that point? Much less hassle.

But, it sounds like you’re undergassed without a can. New gas block will work (I like JP), or—smarter move—build a new upper with an adjustable gas key BCG.

Or just buy the correct barrel length the first time.
They are exactly tinkertoys. It's just that you shouldn't go swapping stuff around until you understand how they all work together. He messed with the buffer weight and now it won't fire without a can. There's a 99% chance if he puts the original buffer assembly back on it it will fire without a can. At that point swapping to an adjustable gas block will enable him to adjust the gas so it will run a can. That said, at that point it may or may not run without a can without adjusting the gas block again. If it were me and I was putting a suppressor on one, it would be a dedicated suppressed firearm. Which brings us right back around to where he is now since it runs fine suppressed.

I don't know much about suppressors, but I think running a single unit both ways usually requires different ammo depending on if you're shooting suppressed or not. I don't think there are many out there running fine both ways using the same ammo without making some sort of adjustment. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

He swapped barrels…don’t think warranty covers that.
I misread and did not see that thank you for pointing that out.

It looks like it would be hard to figure out the root cause without knowing the current barrels OAL and the new barrels OAL for the correct spring and buffer weight combo. And if the member is using a light weight skeletonized BCG that can play into the variables.

They are exactly tinkertoys. It's just that you shouldn't go swapping stuff around until you understand how they all work together. He messed with the buffer weight and now it won't fire without a can. There's a 99% chance if he puts the original buffer assembly back on it it will fire without a can. At that point swapping to an adjustable gas block will enable him to adjust the gas so it will run a can. That said, at that point it may or may not run without a can without adjusting the gas block again. If it were me and I was putting a suppressor on one, it would be a dedicated suppressed firearm. Which brings us right back around to where he is now since it runs fine suppressed.

I don't know much about suppressors, but I think running a single unit both ways usually requires different ammo depending on if you're shooting suppressed or not. I don't think there are many out there running fine both ways using the same ammo without making some sort of adjustment. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Different ammo is not required for proper cycling when swapping between suppressed vs unsuppressed depending on the caliber even without using an adjustable gas block. A majority of my rifles don't have an adjustable gas block and they run without issue.

Some calibers like 5.56 subsonic ammo will not cycle no matter if you are shooting suppressed or unsuppressed and certain subsonic rounds like .300blk subsonic won't cycle reliably without a suppressor. Subsonic 9mm will cycle reliably no matter if shot suppressed or unsuppressed.

Supersonic rounds of most any caliber will cycle reliably in an AR shooting suppressed or unsuppressed with the occasional firearm fairing better with an adjustable gas block.

As you know already, people that Frankenstein their AR's operating system without doing any homework can run into problems.

Different ammo is not required for proper cycling when swapping between suppressed vs unsuppressed depending on the caliber even without using an adjustable gas block. A majority of my rifles don't have an adjustable gas block and they run without issue.

Some calibers like 5.56 subsonic ammo will not cycle no matter if you are shooting suppressed or unsuppressed and certain subsonic rounds like .300blk subsonic won't cycle reliably without a suppressor. Subsonic 9mm will cycle reliably no matter if shot suppressed or unsuppressed.

Supersonic rounds of most any caliber will cycle reliably in an AR shooting suppressed or unsuppressed with the occasional firearm fairing better with an adjustable gas block.

As you know already, people that Frankenstein their AR's operating system without doing any homework can run into problems.
Is the issue with the barrel lengths because of the length of the gas tube or what ? I would assume changing the barrel length would be fine as long as you use the proper gas tube and the right buffer weight/length.

I think maybe at this point I agree with @HansGruber. Put the upper back the way it came and just build another gun for the suppressor using the extra barrel.

Is the issue with the barrel lengths because of the length of the gas tube or what ? I would assume changing the barrel length would be fine as long as you use the proper gas tube and the right buffer weight/length.

I think maybe at this point I agree with @HansGruber. Put the upper back the way it came and just build another gun for the suppressor using the extra barrel.
The gas tube would need to match the gas system length of the current barrel or the bolt would not operate at all because of added or lack of length of the gas tube. Each barrel has its own gas length predetermined by the placement of the gas port hole in the barrel which also needs to correspond to the appropriate gas tube length for the bcg to operate as the tube sits inside the gas key of the bcg when its locked into the barrel extension.

Here's a picture of different gas tube lengths for comparison.

Screenshot_20230618_213535_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Back