testtest

SA’s warranty and rust coverage

I don't know what the obsession is with a subpar finish. Technology has evolved and there are much more durable, corrosion resistant, and all around better finishes that don't need to be babied or tended to on a regular basis. Although it looks nice, there's no other purpose or functionality for bluing. I refuse to buy or own a blued handgun. I've learned my lesson and had my headaches and battles with rust, finishes wearing off, etc in the past. Plus, unless the blued gun is babied and not used regularly, they tend to wear, tear, and not look as nice anyway.

Corrosion resistance, functionality, less maintenance, durability, etc is why I prefer stainless, nitride, anodized, cerakote, and other IMHO "better" finishes over prioritizing looks.

@az4783054 Unless a handgun came unfinished with imperfections from the factory, I'm not aware of any manufacturer who would have taken a gun back for finish wear. That's pretty standard, so I would not hold a grudge against Springfield. That could have been any manufacturer for any firearm you own.

Last edited:
I got 2 Colt 1911’s in blue finish, nothing wrong with a blue finish, it’s not a subpar finish like you stated, yes you need to take care of it a little more, but nothing beats a gun with a blue finish, looks better then the black finish or parkerized, but just not as durable

I won't hold a grudge, but I won't forget the lack of customer support. I have a stainless .45acp Garrison and a .45acp Ronin that have been perfect out of the box.

The cost to SA to re-blue would have been minimal. I think what bothers me more than anything is that SA received the pistol on March 27th and said it would take "two to four weeks" to evaluate, but it took them this long to say NO. Yet when I inquired where the pistol was in queue, I was told "they're working on it" which left me with a false hope of a resolution.

I spent 26+ years in LE, owned and carried a number of blued revolver and 1911 pistols over the years. I never experienced bluing deterioration on Colt or S&W.

I won't hold a grudge, but I won't forget the lack of customer support. I have a stainless .45acp Garrison and a .45acp Ronin that have been perfect out of the box.

The cost to SA to re-blue would have been minimal. I think what bothers me more than anything is that SA received the pistol on March 27th and said it would take "two to four weeks" to evaluate, but it took them this long to say NO. Yet when I inquired where the pistol was in queue, I was told "they're working on it" which left me with a false hope of a resolution.

I spent 26+ years in LE, owned and carried a number of blued revolver and 1911 pistols over the years. I never experienced bluing deterioration on Colt or S&W.
These days it's pretty much the same every where.

I got 2 Colt 1911’s in blue finish, nothing wrong with a blue finish, it’s not a subpar finish like you stated, yes you need to take care of it a little more, but nothing beats a gun with a blue finish, looks better then the black finish or parkerized, but just not as durable
I 100% agree that it's a beautiful finish and looks better than other black finishes. There have been a few beautiful preload Smiths that were for sale that almost changed my mind, so I get they appeal. As for being subpar, I meant only when it comes to durability and rust protection in comparison to other finishes.

I've had blue guns that started rusting, while carrying them in a holster, while temporarily being stored in my vehicle, while being stored in my home, etc. For me, it's just not worth the extra hassle and lack of protection to gain looks anymore. I've seen threads like this were people, myself included, lube and took care of our blued guns, but still had to deal with rust forming from time to time.

I had simular issues with my parkerized AR15s and shotguns, so now I'm strictly nitride barrels and components. Nothing worse than grabbing a firearm that has been stored away only to find it covered in surface rust.

I 100% agree that it's a beautiful finish and looks better than other black finishes. There have been a few beautiful preload Smiths that were for sale that almost changed my mind, so I get they appeal. As for being subpar, I meant only when it comes to durability and rust protection in comparison to other finishes.

I've had blue guns that started rusting, while carrying them in a holster, while temporarily being stored in my vehicle, while being stored in my home, etc. For me, it's just not worth the extra hassle and lack of protection to gain looks anymore. I've seen threads like this were people, myself included, lube and took care of our blued guns, but still had to deal with rust forming from time to time.

I had simular issues with my parkerized AR15s and shotguns, so now I'm strictly nitride barrels and components. Nothing worse than grabbing a firearm that has been stored away only to find it covered in surface rust.
Yea, blue is a little more attentive to take care of, I remember the bluing of old, Colts Royal Blue was beautiful, S&W of old also had great bluing.

I pleaded my case with facts, not emotion or anger...
1683761752425.jpeg

You may have already voided your warranty by having someone else work on it instead of sending it back to Springfield, plus most manufacturers won’t cover finish issues, especially if it’s rust.
View attachment 38757
Yes agreed 100 %, Springfield will only warranty the work from a Springfield Armory Certified Armorer that has been certified only by their approved instructors.

The internal work to correct the return to battery/QC frame/slide burrs, raised electric pencil stencil of serial number and out of spec disconnector done by an independent 1911 gunsmith had nothing to do with the deterioration of the finish bluing.

If an issue ever re-occurs related to what that shop did to correct the Garrison return to battery, I have confidence the independent shop would stand behind their work. I would not expect Springfield to warranty the independent shops work.

Update 06/02/23: I'm very happy to report that Springfield returned my 9mm (formerly blued) Garrison today via 2 day Fedex yesterday. They received it on 03/27/23, so eight weeks of anxiety, but definitely worth it. They applied a satin black Cerakote finish on the frame, slide and controls. I would have been happy with just the frame being coated.

It is absolutely stunning. It is the same finish they apply to their 1911 Operator. The barrel bushing and trigger were left in oem satin aluminum finish. It was returned well lubed so I've been racking the slide to insure the Cerakote did not build up and result in the failure to return to battery issue that the pistol exhibited when I first bought it. I have to wait to shoot it while our home is under two large remodeling projects.

I would like to thank Mike B. and Kody B. for their customer service and answering my dozens of messages.

Last edited:
Back