testtest

Saturday Range Trip 04/13/2024

belladonna

Professional
I did go to the range yesterday, and earlier than usual which was nice, because there were more employees than customers. There was only one other guy in the range shooting an AR. The mister came, but did not shoot (and no Glock fondling was involved this time :cool: ). I brought the Reflex, VP9 an VP9SK. I didn't bring as many magazines this time, as my shoulder was giving me a little grief and I don't want to aggravate it.

Well, I was less than enchanted with myself with the Reflex. It's plain to see I am not used to its snappiness (not as snappy as my Hellcat, but darn close). I do need to train with it though, because it's one of my summer guns. The first target is what I did with the Reflex. I brought five mags for that because they were already loaded and I wanted to empty them the fun way.

IMG_4195.jpeg

I think I was doing okay until I started aiming at the smaller circles... couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, lol. Anyway, the first three mags went smoothly. The last two rounds in the fourth mag would not fire. I cleared that first FTF, same thing. I cleared that one, drop the empty mag and insert the last full mag. I tried with the first three rounds in that mag...all three failed to feed. By then I had had enough of that and decided to pack it away to investigate further when I got home. I am guessing it's the ammo - or the mags (but two of them?). Probably the ammo, because the gun functions properly otherwise.

I only had the two free targets I get per visit with my membership, so I unloaded the VP9 and the SK into the same one. I only brought three 17rd mags for each of them. They went through all of the ammo with no problems at all. I kinda tore a hole in the target and it made me feel better, so I tried aiming for the smaller circles...and they flew everywhere. Sigh... (here's where I would LOVE an eye roll emoji!)

IMG_4196.jpeg

It's getting easier, not sure that my accuracy is improving...next time I'll remember to put a bunch of targets in the mister's truck like the pile I have in mine. My arm is hurting like a bugger this morning, the only reason why I don't ever shoot two days in a row (until I break down and find out what the problem is 😒

So that was Saturday..besides the impromptu drive to Frazee. Our friends from SD were there and he is a retired firefighter from that department.

As usual, I welcome your thoughts and constructive comments :).

If I may be so emboldened, I'll again suggest to bring your target closer until accuracy satisfies you. Gaining confidence always results a better, more consistent shooter. With that said, you're doing fine; but I, for one, will dearly love it when I open a future range report that has you beaming with praise for your achievements! (I'll not be alone) It will happen, and very soon, I'm certain. FWIW.

Only suggestion I have is this. If you don't have any " snap caps " get some . If you do have them use them to practice at home. Practice proper grip , and focus on your trigger pull . It takes a lot of rounds down range and a lot of focus to get to the point where you don't have to think about those things , you just do them.

It will come so don't put yourself down on your shooting. None of us started out being target shooters. When I bought my first handgun , a Ruger Security - Six .357 , I put 50 to 100 rounds through it every night. I lived in the country and had my own range setup .

You are doing fine.

PS ; Don't let that shoulder go.

If I may be so emboldened, I'll again suggest to bring your target closer until accuracy satisfies you. Gaining confidence always results a better, more consistent shooter. With that said, you're doing fine; but I, for one, will dearly love it when I open a future range report that has you beaming with praise for your achievements! (I'll not be alone) It will happen, and very soon, I'm certain. FWIW.
Only suggestion I have is this. If you don't have any " snap caps " get some . If you do have them use them to practice at home. Practice proper grip , and focus on your trigger pull . It takes a lot of rounds down range and a lot of focus to get to the point where you don't have to think about those things , you just do them.

It will come so don't put yourself down on your shooting. None of us started out being target shooters. When I bought my first handgun , a Ruger Security - Six .357 , I put 50 to 100 rounds through it every night. I lived in the country and had my own range setup .

You are doing fine.

PS ; Don't let that shoulder go.
Thank you guys. I know I am my own worst critic. I did recently order a dry fire system (Mantis X) and I do have some snap caps as well. I need to maybe do half an hour dry fire exercises every day after work. Trouble is, if the husband is home I have to worry about supper and by the time all that's done, I have to go to bed for the 3AM wake up call.

I know, I know...discipline. Create the good habits. :)

And thank you...yes, I keep wanting to do 10 yards. The nearest setting is 15 feet, then it goes 7 yards, then 10 and then farther. I will suck it up and set it closer next time. I understand what what you are getting at.

you obviously encountered the magnetic repulsive force that emanates from the smaller circle targets. I have experienced that phenomenon too! :)

Good that you got in some practice, Bella. I think there are a few here (me!) that need to do that too.

Thank you guys. I know I am my own worst critic. I did recently order a dry fire system (Mantis X) and I do have some snap caps as well. I need to maybe do half an hour dry fire exercises every day after work. Trouble is, if the husband is home I have to worry about supper and by the time all that's done, I have to go to bed for the 3AM wake up call.

You will love the MantisX. It’s effective and a huge ammo saver. I have found the courses to be particularly useful.
Give us a range report on how you are doing with it.

You will love the MantisX. It’s effective and a huge ammo saver. I have found the courses to be particularly useful.
Give us a range report on how you are doing with it.
I was thinking of the same thing, but I couldn't remember what it was called....

You’ll love Mantis X, I’ve been using it for 4 years. You will see a direct correlation to what you work on with Mantis X and how you perform at the range.

Btw, it’s 2024, men can cook too! 👨‍🍳👨‍🍳👨‍🍳

So I hear from @KillerFord1977 😎😎😎

You’ll love Mantis X, I’ve been using it for 4 years. You will see a direct correlation to what you work on with Mantis X and how you perform at the range.

Btw, it’s 2024, men can cook too! 👨‍🍳👨‍🍳👨‍🍳

So I hear from @KillerFord1977 😎😎😎
You know, as I was writing that I had a feeling someone would allude to the culinary abilities of the male gender😂. He does when he’s hungry enough, but for a guy who’s younger than me, he’s pretty old school. 🙄😎

Limit the mantis work to 15 minutes. After that you may be re-enforcing bad habits. I used to do a lot of dry fire and found that i’d get tired and sloppy. 15 quality minutes is better than 30 minutes of sloppy work.
I also agree on bringing that target into 5 yds and don’t leave there till you’re getting a grouping thst is satisfactory to you. I don’t go out beyond 10 yds for practice (although i’ll send it to 40 yds for fun 😁).

Limit the mantis work to 15 minutes. After that you may be re-enforcing bad habits. I used to do a lot of dry fire and found that i’d get tired and sloppy. 15 quality minutes is better than 30 minutes of sloppy work.
I also agree on bringing that target into 5 yds and don’t leave there till you’re getting a grouping thst is satisfactory to you. I don’t go out beyond 10 yds for practice (although i’ll send it to 40 yds for fun 😁).
Thank you, and yes...you are not the first person to tell me to bring the target closer. I'll listen this time. I also remember reading about starting on Mantis with about 10 to 15 minutes because, like you said, with fatigue comes sloppiness. Don't want to reinforce bad habits.

Thank you, and yes...you are not the first person to tell me to bring the target closer. I'll listen this time. I also remember reading about starting on Mantis with about 10 to 15 minutes because, like you said, with fatigue comes sloppiness. Don't want to reinforce bad habits.
I learned the hard way. I would spend up to an hour dry firing and would get frustrated. The other thing is that the “accuracy” observed during dry fire does not carry over into live fire. I thought i was so awesome in my basement. Then i went to the range and my bubble was burst! 🤣
It did help with my trigger pull though.

And remember slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. You're going to perfectly execute fundamentals very, very slowly. Over and over and over and over. Speed will come naturally after you have perfected your fundamentals. I know you know all the bullet points ( see what I did there ? ) but I'm gonna lay some truth on ya. It's the trigger press man. 90% of it is the trigger press.

Back