testtest

Seems like Colt is introducing new 2020 Python

Shooting a revolver is way different than a pistol especially a striker fired one.

Pythons have a point in the trigger return that appears to be a reset but isn't because of the geometry. If you don't let it go to its real reset you can lock things up.

Shooting a revolver is way different than a pistol especially a striker fired one.

Pythons have a point in the trigger return that appears to be a reset but isn't because of the geometry. If you don't let it go to its real reset you can lock things up.
That's interesting to know Talyn, Thanks

Sold many in my day, never could quite swing one for myself.... :mad:
Well here’s your chance SMSgtRod. It’s almost like Colt was thinking about you when they decided to reintroduce the Python. “We got to get this gun to SMSgtRod!”. And it’s 1/2 the price I paid for my used Python. 😖

Well here’s your chance SMSgtRod. It’s almost like Colt was thinking about you when they decided to reintroduce the Python. “We got to get this gun to SMSgtRod!”. And it’s 1/2 the price I paid for my used Python. 😖
Yeah but, is it like movie sequel? When something comes back I'm so leery, it's not the real thing.
Dimensionally is it exact????
Loved the Colt Cobra I had....

Yeah but, is it like movie sequel? When something comes back I'm so leery, it's not the real thing.
Dimensionally is it exact????
Loved the Colt Cobra I had....
Well, some of the reviews seem to think it’s better. I just take them as 2 separate entities like my reproduction Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine and my 1942 Saginaw M1 Carbine. One to shoot frequently the other a few times and keep as the investment.

Well, some of the reviews seem to think it’s better. I just take them as 2 separate entities like my reproduction Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine and my 1942 Saginaw M1 Carbine. One to shoot frequently the other a few times and keep as the investment.
For me the old timer would be the one to shoot. History is great.....

So, your saying Hickok45 doesn’t know how to shoot a python.......lol.......ok
I saw the video and "pull trigger, no bang" concerned me (one at 30:42 of his video). Looks like the cylinder doesn't rotate on trigger pull thus "firing" on already shot cartridge. It's not the only video I saw or read about that this occurring. It's why I responded to SMSgtRod above, that I'll wait awhile before purchasing, so Colt can work out the problems. I was burnt twice with 4 Sig P320's (Voluntary Update Program AKA Drop fire recall), and 2 Ruger's Mark IV pistols with safety selector issues where it appeared on but you could still fire the pistol. Both companies customer service department's were fantastic, it was just a hassle sending them in and waiting for return. I don't want to go through that here, hence the wait.

So, your saying Hickok45 doesn’t know how to shoot a python.......lol.......ok

Anyone can shoot a revolver but not all know how to shoot revolvers well, and different makes/models vary because the lock work varies (as Hackathorn stated) and he clearly pointed out how to run the Python trigger vs a S&W. Watch the vid at the times posted.

In the case of the Pythons' cylinders failing to advance, it's a case of function with the hand failing to rebound. The hand is connected to the trigger. So if someone is releasing the Python trigger short of its real reset, but at the "false" point, the hand won't advance and the cylinder will not advance or lock up as Ken Hackathorn said it would. Ken Hackathorn also pointed out that the Python lockwork is different than a S&W which has a rebound coil spring which makes the S&W reset more distinct.

Hackathorn also stated that most folks are used to semi-auto resets (especially striker-fired) and try to hit that point exactly in order to go faster. He pointed out the Python idiosyncrasies to the shooter in the vid which requires the trigger to be fully released. IMO the average Joe with little/no familiarity in shooting Pythons (maybe because they can't afford an original or know someone with a Python) expects it to shoot the same as everything else, needs to figure it out if they want/get one.

An analogy is short-stroking a pump shotgun. Is it a defect in the shotgun or human error when the shotgun fails to operate properly when short-stroked? Another is if a shooter rides the slide release on a 1911 when gripped and wonders why it won't lock back on empty.

Even Hickok45 still shot the Python fine after the stoppage happened. IMO, he, and others felt the false reset point (characteristic if the Python lockwork function) and short-stroked the trigger.

My original Python shoots different than my 686, and when I take the Python out I have to reintroduce myself to it since I don't shoot it much at all compared to my 686. And I have to do the same when shooting any revolver vs the semis that I have, as well as the differences between the semis.

But, maybe there could be something in a run of Pythons that needs to be tweaked. I guess we'll see.

And I would easily say Ken Hackathorn has more experience that Hickok45 does.

My .02

Last edited:
Anyone can shoot a revolver but not all know how to shoot revolvers well, and different makes/models vary because the lock work varies (as Hackathorn stated) and he clearly pointed out how to run the Python trigger vs a S&W. Watch the vid at the times posted.

In the case of the Pythons' cylinders failing to advance, it's a case of function with the hand failing to rebound. The hand is connected to the trigger. So if someone is releasing the Python trigger short of its real reset, but at the "false" point the hand won't advance and the cylinder will not advance or lock up as Ken Hackathorn said it would because the Python lockwork is different than a S&W which has a rebound coil spring.

An analogy is short-stroking a pump shotgun. Is it a defect in the shotgun or human error when the shotgun fails to operate properly when short-stroked. Another is if a shooter rides the slide release on a 1911 when gripped and wonders why it won't lock back on empty.

Even Hickok45 still shot the Python fine after the stoppage happened. IMO, he, and others felt the false reset point (characteristic if the Python lockwork function) and short-stroked the trigger.

But, maybe there could be something in a run of Pythons that needs to be tweaked. I guess we'll see.

And I would easily say Ken Hackathorn has more experience that Hickok45 does.

My .02
Well, they may both be right. Hickok45 mentioned he had the issue before they started recording and I think he had the issue more than once in the video (I just hastily found one zooming towards the end). He has an old Python (so I'm guessing he familiar with shooting them, although I believe Colt did tweak the trigger mechanism in the new one). He mentions in the video that he like the new one a lot (in fact better than the original one he has), and plans on getting one eventually. As for me, I'm just going to wait and see. Perhaps you're correct with Ken Hackathorn's explanation and I'm curious if Colt will address the issue if more people report similar occurrences. I do appreciate your research and comments Talyn, the more input I (and others) have the better to make a wiser decision on purchase.

Well, they may both be right. Hickok45 mentioned he had the issue before they started recording and I think he had the issue more than once in the video (I just hastily found one zooming towards the end). He has an old Python (so I'm guessing he familiar with shooting them, although I believe Colt did tweak the trigger mechanism in the new one). He mentions in the video that he like the new one a lot (in fact better than the original one he has), and plans on getting one eventually. As for me, I'm just going to wait and see. Perhaps you're correct with Ken Hackathorn's explanation and I'm curious if Colt will address the issue if more people report similar occurrences. I do appreciate your research and comments Talyn, the more input I (and others) have the better to make a wiser decision on purchase.

Yes, the lock-work on the original and new Pythons aren't the same.

The Ken Hackathorn vid has him pointing out the difference that the new one doesn't stack like the old one (although I take difference with Ken stating the old Pythons had a crappy trigger). Yes, it stacks but then why did the Python get the rep for having a wonderful trigger pull? Mine stacks but its' hardly noticeable, and Ken acknowledged he's a S&W guy, and likely runs tuned revolvers. Every wheelgun has its idiosyncrasies, as do many semis. Heck my 1911's feel weird since I shoot my XDm 5.25 Competition so much in IPSC shoots.

IMO there's a lot less variability between striker fired pistols due to their very similar fire control system design, but there's still variability there.

I'm sure when I get a chance at checking out a new Python I'll notice the differences between the two.

I'm more interested in a new King Cobra Target than another Python because I have a Python and I'd like to have the smaller frame new Colt first.

Not getting into a he said/he said scenario over this, I am 59 years old here, I have owned 4 colt pythons over the years, all pre-strike guns, 3 were perfect, one all the lands shot out of the barrel, hence it became a smooth bore, had to go back to factory, so I know all about the trigger pulls on a python. It doesn’t matter if your or my guy said this or that, but to me, there may be an issue, after all, it’s a colt firearm, and they were in financial trouble again when they were developing this new python. My thoughts on this is a timing issue, not a big issue though more of an inconvenience.

Back