testtest

Shoot faster

I myself don't shoot fast, makes no sense to me, unless its a self defense situation, you see on all these gun shows how the pull the trigger as fast as they can, why.......makes no sense unless its just for the camera
not only that, but for me, 1 or 2 boxes of ammo at best go to the range.

the faster i shoot, the faster the ammo is gone.

like anyone else, i practice for self defensive/home defensive reasons, not to be in any sort of competitive scenario.

and for the record, nope, i never had anyone tell me to shoot faster........as i know how to tell them to go fly a kite, or do some sort of self probing of thier orifice.

Accuracy
Then speed

Beating your opponent to the first shot, accurate and ON TARGET !!!

We run speed drills all the time, but we learned the skill of accuracy first.
Speed means nothing if you can’t hit the target.
This is why learning to shoot while moving is so important. You dont need 1” groups, but you better have speed and ability to hit on target while not making yourself a big fat target either.

53996CB1-F811-41AF-85B5-C9EDCED393A0.jpeg

Last edited:
… oh, and my instructor tells me to shoot faster all the time…he pushes me to the edge, as he knows my accuracy is there.. where is my personal line between ultimate speed and accuracy. I have learned my own ability on where that line is.
I can put a 1 second draw and shoot on target as second nature now, but its taken a yr of monthly training to do so…

Taking out the X ring is all fine and dandy. But back when I was shooting IDPA, speed counted. Smooth draw, flash sight picture and fire. If you can keep 'em in the zero down zone (8"), that's plenty good enough.

As for regular range practice. Ammo is expensive. I'm gonna take my sweet time and enjoy it. ;)

All the bromides and clichés are nice and technique is in there somewhere, but having the confidence that you will have command of the moment when it comes will become the difference maker. Do I practice a lot of rapid fire? No, but I can make make multiple head shots at 25yds and I can put 3 rds into a three inch area in 1 second at bad breath distance because I train, train, train. I know my skills are sound and most importantly, I know what my fight or flight response is.

There is a balance between speed and accuracy. You cannot miss fast enough to win. If you are outrunning your ability to hit, slow down until you are getting consistent hits. I have seen too many students show up wanting to go fast but missing a lot. Its one of the things I do not like about timed competitions-competitors can miss targets but still win if they are going fast enough.

You own responsibility for every round you fire and every one of them is going to hit something before it stops. 70-75% accuracy is not good enough.

Shoot for accuracy and speed will come. You also need to do some precision work also because you may have only a small portion of the target to work with. Failure drills, the Mozambique drill is a step in the right direction but work beyond that for the best precision you can manage, as quick as you can.

Your speed/accuracy balance will depend on skill and will, your gun, and gear, but age is a factor. So I am saying in a nutshell, go as fast as you can, but do not sacrifice accuracy to do so.

There is a balance between speed and accuracy. You cannot miss fast enough to win. If you are outrunning your ability to hit, slow down until you are getting consistent hits. I have seen too many students show up wanting to go fast but missing a lot. Its one of the things I do not like about timed competitions-competitors can miss targets but still win if they are going fast enough.

You own responsibility for every round you fire and every one of them is going to hit something before it stops. 70-75% accuracy is not good enough.

Shoot for accuracy and speed will come. You also need to do some precision work also because you may have only a small portion of the target to work with. Failure drills, the Mozambique drill is a step in the right direction but work beyond that for the best precision you can manage, as quick as you can.

Your speed/accuracy balance will depend on skill and will, your gun, and gear, but age is a factor. So I am saying in a nutshell, go as fast as you can, but do not sacrifice accuracy to do so.
5” and 3” targets in one on a 8.5 x 11 paper
Speed drill ..
2 mags .. 10 rd and 3 rd.. reload required..

Teaches accuracy and speed
78D3D38D-068F-439B-B4F6-49B20E00B144.jpeg

Accuracy
Then speed

Beating your opponent to the first shot, accurate and ON TARGET !!!

We run speed drills all the time, but we learned the skill of accuracy first.
Speed means nothing if you can’t hit the target.
This is why learning to shoot while moving is so important. You dont need 1” groups, but you better have speed and ability to hit on target while not making yourself a big fat target either.

View attachment 41932
Amen Brother. Repetitive Training 2 rounds, holster, 3 rounds holster. Center mass, always center mass Gun Control is hitting the center mass to stop the threat DRT(dead right there)...but you go home later to your wife

Back