testtest

Shoot faster

Hi,

I haven't practiced my quick draw for a while, thanks to Mr. @KillerFord1977. ;) But I think my accuracy has improved. Perhaps now I can try to build up some speed again, on my laser range first. When I was "prepping the trigger" I could put hits on target in the 1.4 to 1.8 second range (on a good day) from 5 to 7 yards. I'll have to work to get there again. Presentation fundamentals, smooth repetition, and muscle memory is the key for me. Thanks for sharing the article.

I haven't practiced like this for a while....

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

I haven't practiced my quick draw for a while, thanks to Mr. @KillerFord1977. ;) But I think my accuracy has improved. Perhaps now I can try to build up some speed again, on my laser range first. When I was "prepping the trigger" I could put hits on target in the 1.4 to 1.8 second range (on a good day) from 5 to 7 yards. I'll have to work to get there again. Presentation fundamentals, smooth repetition, and muscle memory is the key for me. Thanks for sharing the article.

I haven't practiced like this for a while....

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Your accuracy is coming along wouldn't you say 👍

Guys like JJ Racaza always say slow or fast doesn't matter, might as well make it fast and train like that. Train to shoot fast, accuracy will come... Easier said than done and probably very unpopular at the range spraying 3-4 targets across the firing lanes :)
Accuracy first
Speed later
Doesnt matter how super slow or fast, if you cant hit your aimpoint, 1 round or 20 wont matter

Accuracy first
Speed later
Doesnt matter how super slow or fast, if you cant hit your aimpoint, 1 round or 20 wont matter
I hear you, but imagine the constant excuse you can get if you're missing the target by doing it his way: "I train for speed, accuracy will come" JJ is crazy fast and accurate at the same time, so his recommendations only apply to guys of his caliber, we're OK doing what we're doing :D

Accuracy first
Speed later
Yes Killerford1977 is right on.
Racaza is an anomaly. He has been shooting for speed since he was in 3rd grade and is in the top 1% of speed shooters. Then there are the rest of us.

Wyatt Earp said it. There is no substitute for accuracy, no matter how fast. Build the foundation of accuracy then increase speed. If you start missing, slow down. Don't outrun your headlights. Speed comes with practice.

Yes Killerford1977 is right on.
Racaza is an anomaly. He has been shooting for speed since he was in 3rd grade and is in the top 1% of speed shooters. Then there are the rest of us.

Wyatt Earp said it. There is no substitute for accuracy, no matter how fast. Build the foundation of accuracy then increase speed. If you start missing, slow down. Don't outrun your headlights. Speed comes with practice.
Of course @KillerFord1977 is right, there was no argument there. JJ is a freak of nature no doubt, his suggestions apply to people at his level, so really a dozen people in the world :D

I myself don't shoot fast, makes no sense to me, unless its a self defense situation, you see on all these gun shows how they pull the trigger as fast as they can, why.......makes no sense unless its just for the camera
Killer and I were at the range the other day showing off and the young guy in the next lane was shooting unbelievably fast. I expected to see a crazy shotgun pattern, but when I stepped back to observe he was putting all his shots in the head box of an IDPA target at 7 yards. Turns out he is a competitive shooter. It was pretty impressive and I’m not easily impressed. What’s more, his girlfriend shot as well as he did. Both of them looked to be mid-twenties. It was nice to see that level of competence at the range for once.

Back