testtest

Shooting tips!

RandomHero

Custom
Founding Member
OK, I know that there are many articles out there on teaching techniques of shooting. But reading it in an article is one thing, having a community of shooters that you can communicate with is a whole different story. What shooting tips can you provide to those that are on here and new to shooting? What tricks or drills do you practice to hone in your skill?
Here is the GunLink Pistol Correction Chart that is an excellent resource to aid new shooters in becoming more proficient.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191030-171404.png
    Screenshot_20191030-171404.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Screenshot_20191030-171336.png
    Screenshot_20191030-171336.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 495
If you can, find a range (if available) or make a moving target. Could also do drills to transition between several targets spread apart.

i fired thousands if not 10000 rounds thru my pistol for years.

Years ago I was deer hunting and went to leave my stand. A varmit was running around my area about 15-20 yards out, so I decided to do him in. Pulled my pistol and let a round go at him.. then a few more...couldnt hit him to save my life. Was either a smidge low or such...
Took my 7th round to kill it. Had to stop and think about leading a target and all that skill stuff we know but dont always practice.

realized i spent all my time shooting paper at 7-15 yards with pistols but didnt do any movement for “muscle memory” like I do with an AR or scoped rifle for animals on the jog.

Focus on the front sight with a handgun.

This. And keep both your eyes open. If you find that too difficult at least make sure you are keeping your dominant eye open. I figured out I was cross eye dominant, which makes sense since I am ambidextrous in a lot of things, including pistols and long guns. My corrective action was to train myself to shoot with both eyes open without sacrificing speed on target acquisition. This is done by, you guessed it, focusing on the front sight and the target.

On trigger finger placement and "the pistol correction chart/target," here's some caveats:

-----

Regarding focus of the eyes on the target, sights, or anywhere in between, because of modern technology - specifically, the "micro" red-dot sight that can now be easily (and durably!) mounted on even handguns - we should start to propagate the knowledge that while front-sight-focus is still the way to go with traditional ironsights (handgun or long-gun), however, the proper eye focus to use with red-dot sights is TARGET FOCUS.

I found a good drill from my local range...

-8.5”x11” standard letter size
-Circle ring targets in varying sizes
-Start with larger circle targets and work towards smaller target circles
-Start at 3 yards. Master that and then work towards 7, 10, then 15 yards over time

i am at 10 yards now after months of drills on the larger circles

can only hit the smaller ones at 7 yards .. getting old sucks on the eyes 😉😡😁
D838DB41-7A1E-463F-8FFC-C4E08E68CC6A.jpeg
8F886CF4-9447-4446-B3DF-DFA3269CE222.jpeg

Back