testtest

Should I carry a spare magazine

I had a Mec-Gar magazine for my AMT Hard Baller .45 ACP 1911, a few years ago. I was demonstrating a drill for our police recruits with the new magazine when the magazine literally fell apart. Needless to say I threw it away. I will never own another Mec-Gar magazine.
I always buy magazines made by the manufacturer of the gun. Might not be necessary to be that careful, but in fact, I want everything working for me if I ever have to shoot for real. If you choose the best in each category -- magazines made by the mfgr; the bullet that always feeds, shoots, and ejects without any failures in your gun; etc. -- then you will have the best chance of success if you ever have to shoot for real. That's why I don't hesitate to spend the extra money required to get a magazine made by the mfgr; and that's why I carry only Spear Gold Dot 124 gr hollow point 9mm in my Beretta, because it is the one bullet which has never ever failed to work in my Beretta. And that's why I replaced the stupid plasic guide rod in my Beretta with a stainless steel guide rod - the plastic one was starting to bend.

I always buy magazines made by the manufacturer of the gun. Might not be necessary to be that careful, but in fact, I want everything working for me if I ever have to shoot for real. If you choose the best in each category -- magazines made by the mfgr; the bullet that always feeds, shoots, and ejects without any failures in your gun; etc. -- then you will have the best chance of success if you ever have to shoot for real. That's why I don't hesitate to spend the extra money required to get a magazine made by the mfgr; and that's why I carry only Spear Gold Dot 124 gr hollow point 9mm in my Beretta, because it is the one bullet which has never ever failed to work in my Beretta. And that's why I replaced the stupid plasic guide rod in my Beretta with a stainless steel guide rod - the plastic one was starting to bend.

Yep. OEM mags are best and I always buy plenty of them.

I bought a high quality steel magazine by Target Sports that was described as a Rock Island 1911 magazine, that did exactly what @Susquash said- fell apart. I guess the duct tape should have been a giveaway. 🙄
I throw them in my range bag and expect them to work. Maybe I am wrong but I expect them to work. so I will at least stick with name brands.

I'm in the habit of checking my handgun and my spare mag/mags out after I get home from running around. The mag pouches I use keep the mags from getting dirty for the most part, but I check them anyway. I do routine maintenance on my handguns and my mags to make sure they are oiled, free of debris, and ready to be used at any moment. Even the mags and handguns that aren't in my EDC rotation, I still like to take them out, break them down, and make sure they are cleaned, oiled, and ready to go. I did this to my nightstand handgun last night, my Springfield XD Mod 2 .45 Service Model. It has been in my nightstand for several months, ready to go, but I broke it down, cleaned and oiled it up just in case. Then I wanted to go shoot it...lol

@
I'm in the habit of checking my handgun and my spare mag/mags out after I get home from running around. The mag pouches I use keep the mags from getting dirty for the most part, but I check them anyway. I do routine maintenance on my handguns and my mags to make sure they are oiled, free of debris, and ready to be used at any moment. Even the mags and handguns that aren't in my EDC rotation, I still like to take them out, break them down, and make sure they are cleaned, oiled, and ready to go. I did this to my nightstand handgun last night, my Springfield XD Mod 2 .45 Service Model. It has been in my nightstand for several months, ready to go, but I broke it down, cleaned and oiled it up just in case. Then I wanted to go shoot it...lol
This brings up another question that might be addressed else where, do you clean or do maintenance on your magazines? I have cleaned and inspected, some, on occassion.

^ I segregate my magazines into "serious use" and "range/training/practice use."

This primary division allows my vetted (for function) defensive magazines to be babied, while the range/training/practice magazines are the only ones exposed to use/abuse.

The former, because of how I store/carry them, only gets occasional inspection - same goes with the magazines that are in the gun (I remove and don my EDC "in situ" with the holster; while my staged HD guns simply rest undisturbed in their holsters, inside quick-access safes). My longest test duration for function/feed was two years, and this is currently my refresh cycle.

The range/practice/training magazines are maintained as-necessary: I really only go after them when they've been exposed to mud or sand/dirt. Occasionally, if I haven't cleaned them for a long time and I have a class for which I deem it necessary to insure that my firearm is in tip-top working order (so as to reduce the likelihood of stoppage or malfunction during class), I'll preemptively clean the mags. Otherwise, I use these mags to benchmark just how dirty I can get the mags/gun, so that I have an idea of what to expect should things really go sideways, and I don't have the ability to maintain my defensive weapons.

I have shot close to 800 rounds from my factory magazines and they are yet to fail feeding.
Why are people so worried about them failing? Does anyone has a story about factory magazines failing on you? Might as well worry about the whole gun failing.

There is a difference between being "worried" about something and simply conducting a risk assessment. Considering what the resulting damage may be from a magazine failure and considering the overall cost and effort to mitigate such potential for substantial loss, just about any analysis of risk would probably identify the cheap and near effortless remedy as good policy. Risk assessing 101 ( potential for high lost vs low cost to remedy) = action plan. Depending on how high the loss is considered to be, the likely hood of it happening is not as important as the need to safeguard against it. In this example, we are talking LIFE-safety.

As far as you shooting 800 rounds without a problem, I'll say this. You might ride a motorcycle 8000 mile without a helmet and have no problem. Its not really a problem until it is and once it is a problem, its too late to do anything about it.

I have had a magazine failure 3-4 times during training over many years. I didnt expect any of the failures to occur and there were no warning signs. I had a 5th mag crap out because of a cracked base plate when I briefly dropped it on gravel. I have a 6th magazine get dislodged during force on force training and slide across the floor directly in the path of my training adversary. I could not safety retrieve the mag and had to use my reload. The magazine dislodged while I was taking cover as it impacted a hard corner (pushing the mag release).

The point is that crap happens. People simply need to decide how important it is to them to be able to manage a critical failure. If someone doesnt want to carry a 10oz magazine that cost $20 bucks.. ok fine.

There is a difference between being "worried" about something and simply conducting a risk assessment. Considering what the resulting damage may be from a magazine failure and considering the overall cost and effort to mitigate such potential for substantial loss, just about any analysis of risk would probably identify the cheap and near effortless remedy as good policy.
Risk assessment. Consider the risk of getting hit by a lighting strike. Would you wear a tinfoil cap and down conductor all the time?

What's the risk that a factory magazine, seldom used, cleaned monthly, would fail? Is not worrying me that much to keep it on me.
Rather add a personal electrical shock device for that weight and size: https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Gun-Anti-Grab-Technology-Intimidating-Flashlight/dp/B075K3PC7Y

I had a Mec-Gar magazine for my AMT Hard Baller .45 ACP 1911, a few years ago. I was demonstrating a drill for our police recruits with the new magazine when the magazine literally fell apart. Needless to say I threw it away. I will never own another Mec-Gar magazine.
I bought my Mec-G’s when I first got into 1911s and didn’t know what was what regarding mags.
I must say they’ve done just fine for me so far. But I clean ‘em pretty regularly.
I will start inspecting them more closely however!

So, before I begin, I'd like to say that I think the point of this thread is to explore both the pros and cons of carrying a spare magazine.

And with that in-mind, I'd like to further that exploration by taking up some counter-points: not because I believe that either @KASHIRA-3 or @SoNic are either more right or more wrong, but rather just to further an already excellent debate. :)

So, with that said:

There is a difference between being "worried" about something and simply conducting a risk assessment. Considering what the resulting damage may be from a magazine failure and considering the overall cost and effort to mitigate such potential for substantial loss, just about any analysis of risk would probably identify the cheap and near effortless remedy as good policy. Risk assessing 101 ( potential for high lost vs low cost to remedy) = action plan. Depending on how high the loss is considered to be, the likely hood of it happening is not as important as the need to safeguard against it. In this example, we are talking LIFE-safety.

So if we take this view, then wouldn't the expense be irrelevant, and perhaps given the weight/size, we'd be better off carrying a second gun?

My 19-round XDm9 magazine full-stack with nineteen 147 gr. Federal HSTs comes in at 362 grams (a hair below 12.8 oz.), with an OE SA X-Tension (to not only bridge the gap, but more importantly, to serve as the overtravel stop that the XDm lacks).

My S&W M&P 340 (Centennial AirLite) comes in at 455 grams (just shy of 16.1 ounces), with a full cylinder of five Speer 135 gr. +P Short Barrel GDHPs.

My Kahr PM9 with 7 rounds of 147 gr. Speer GDHPs comes in at 561 grams (right below 19.8 ounces).

The J-frame is a paragon of concealed carry and virtually disappears in either an IWB or ankle holster. The Kahr is slimmer and makes for even more discrete carry as a pocket-gun, and again all but disappears at the waist.

Couldn't one argue that if there's a problem with the primary weapon, that given the time it takes to remediate even a simple "Type 1 Malfunction" or stoppage, it's better to just go to a backup weapon (doubly so if the backup is ready-at-hand, instead of riding in deeper concealment)? That if we do take that worst-possible-case scenario and play it out, we should account for the possibility of that failure-to-fire to potentially be a true malfunction of the weapon?

Certainly, the way that the late Louis Awerbuck presents it, that makes a lot more sense than carrying a spare mag....

Risk assessment. Consider the risk of getting hit by a lighting strike. Would you wear a tinfoil cap and down conductor all the time?

What's the risk that a factory magazine, seldom used, cleaned monthly, would fail? Is not worrying me that much to keep it on me.
Rather add a personal electrical shock device for that weight and size: https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Gun-Anti-Grab-Technology-Intimidating-Flashlight/dp/B075K3PC7Y

Given modern technique, I'm really hesitant to go the way of a pain-compliance, contact, weapon as a lethal-force alternative/backup.

Arguably, this is why we have gone away from the old irritant "Mace" formulation ("CN/CS") to the modern inflammatory-agent we see in "OC."

Anything that relies on pain to inflict compliance will be just that much more highly variable in terms of its effectiveness, particularly against mentally altered or simply more determined aggressors. And given the contact-weapon nature of "stun guns" and the like (which needs to be clearly distinguished from a true "TASER" - which, itself should be noted can be used in "Drive Stun" mode to elicit pain compliance...a technique which, as both the DOJ and PERF noted, is of limited effectiveness and may even prove counterproductive), I'm even more hesitant to recommend its use in a lethal-force context (i.e. given that we're looking to replace a magazine of ammunition with its presence).

I'd much rather have that space taken up by either OC - which would allow me to further expand my use-of-force spectrum, to "give me a tool between harsh language and the gun," as we discussed in another thread - or even a knife, or, better yet, a proper high-powered flashlight (versus the rather anemic one that's incorporated into the tool cited above), which can itself potentially help the user avoid problems to begin with.

What's the risk that a factory magazine, seldom used, cleaned monthly, would fail?

^ Forgot to specifically address this one. My bad. :)

Remember that one cycle of the magazine spring is just that, one cycle - it doesn't matter if it's actual live-fire use, dry-fire, or if you're unloading the magazine of its ammo to clean it.

It's the cycling of the magazine spring that wears it out.

How fast that happens depends in large part on that particular make/model of gun...hence, mag - and hence, the magazine spring itself.

It's a free-ish country. Carry a spare, don't carry a spare, I don't care. You do you.

^ This is the way I see it, too. :)

There's a laundry list of pros and cons - much of it well-addressed by the article cited in the OP, I feel - and FWIW, I really like these more nuanced debates, as it helps me flush out and rinse through my own logic.

Those "Change My Mind" memes?

1630373953736.png

^ That's pretty much the way the voices in my head talk *_all night_* when I weigh-out issues like this.

As I've taught/told my daughter, it's much harder living in this world when you see shades of grey (or is it gray? see? ;) ). I told her that as a Jew (her mother is Jewish, so by matriarchal line, that means she is, too), she owes it to herself to try to see things from the Palestinian point of view, too.

I know, I'm crazy. I argue with myself all the time. 😁

I'm really not to try to convince anyone of any one or another way of thinking. I'd rather that they arrive at their own conclusions, after thoroughly flushing out all the possibilities and permutations. We all have different needs, we all lead different lives. What any one of us may think of as indispensable may well be the first thing another is willing to let go of.....

I would think that if you are going to carry a spare gun rather than a spare magazine, that you should carry an identical spare gun. In this way, in case of whatever kind of fail, you can scavenge ammo, magazines, etc. from one gun for the other gun.

I'm with Bassbob - you do you. Whatever works for you.

Anything that relies on pain to inflict compliance...
I'm even more hesitant to recommend its use in a lethal-force context
You mean like a 9mm round that didn't directly hit the spine or brain?
There are cases when lethal force is not justified in regard to the threat. Brandishing the weapon can lay in a red-hot legal area.
Like a bigger, stronger than me, guy that is in my face yelling threats. I can feel it's rage in the precipitations... Is that a deadly threat yet? I don't know if I can explain why I shoot him. But a non-lethal way to get out of that situation is easier to explain. Legally fight any eventual charges of assault versus homicide ones...
Again, that's just me. Some people can impose by their size only (Chuck Norris types).
It's the cycling of the magazine spring that wears it out.
That's why my EDC magazine is just used for that. I shoot it once every 6 months, maybe longer, and clean/lube it after that. I don't use it at the range. That spring will last a long time.
I know, I'm crazy. I argue with myself all the time. 😁
Wait! You mean that's not normal for everyone? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If carrying my 365 XL, always 1 spare mag. If carrying my Ronin, 2 spare mags. It does get very cumbersome with 2 mags and the full sized 1911 so i've been carrying the Ronin less on the real hot days.

I essentially never leave the house without atleast 1 spare mag. I use belt holders for each gun, although i've been thinking about investing in those pocket concealed holders.

Back