testtest

Should I carry a spare magazine

There are cases when lethal force is not justified in regard to the threat. Brandishing the weapon can lay in a red-hot legal area.
Like a bigger, stronger than me, guy that is in my face yelling threats. I can feel it's rage in the precipitations... Is that a deadly threat yet? I don't know if I can explain why I shoot him. But a non-lethal way to get out of that situation is easier to explain. Legally fight any eventual charges of assault versus homicide ones...
Again, that's just me. Some people can impose by their size only (Chuck Norris types).

No, that's not what I meant - what I meant was that the spare magazine is ostensibly a backup piece of the lethal-force equation: if that's the case, then substituting its space/weight for the stun device that you'd cited isn't a true 1:1 argument.

I can't carry both in my pockets. I am not Paul Harrell with his coat that can hide three-four guns and their spare magazines :ROFLMAO:

Need a whole new topic for off-body carry, but there's always.....

1630432263534.png

I'd probably carry a technical! :D

Why are people so worried about them failing? Does anyone has a story about factory magazines failing on you? Might as well worry about the whole gun failing.

Where do we stop?
I used my 1911 Mil-Spec during the student and instructor class for the new CCW certification. Roughly 600 rounds between the two classes.
The course requires you to reload from slide lock on multiple occasions. This puts an enormous amount of stress on the front foot of the base plate of the classic 1911 magazine.

I trashed 3 magazines during that course, the front of the base plate separating in all three cases and the magazine eventually failing. Chip McCormick magazines was kind enough to send me three new magazines in exchange for them.

Plus magazines take quite a beating from being dropped on various hard surfaces during reload drills. It is unrealistic to expect them to survive that kind of abuse indefinitely.

I have a separate set of magazine for carry, which are never dropped or loaded into slide lock, and a set of training magazines that get replaced frequently.

So yes magazines can and do fail. They are in fact the number one cause of malfunctions in the 1911 platform.

Last edited:
Yup right at the front of the base plate. Were you doing reloads at slide lock prior to this? Letting it fall to the ground during reloads? How many reloads through the magazine would you estimate?
It was in a Series 80 Gold Cup that I bought used. I think it was a mid-80s production, but I don't know if it came with the pistol. So it may have been dropped to the ground before I got it, and who knows how many rounds had been through it.

I read the article which started this thread. It's good. But the arguments against a spare mag don't amount to more than, "you probably won't need it and it might be a pain." It's the same argument against carrying a gun at all. I think the question of whether to carry spare mags is like whether to carry with a round in the chamber. The answer is, "of course you should!" Why limit yourself so severely? You might need to reload. You might accidentally dump your full magazine. Your magazine might malfunction. All low probability scenarios, but very costly. The remedy is very cheap and easy. Carry one or more spares. There is no good reason not to.

I read the article which started this thread. It's good. But the arguments against a spare mag don't amount to more than, "you probably won't need it and it might be a pain." It's the same argument against carrying a gun at all. I think the question of whether to carry spare mags is like whether to carry with a round in the chamber. The answer is, "of course you should!" Why limit yourself so severely? You might need to reload. You might accidentally dump your full magazine. Your magazine might malfunction. All low probability scenarios, but very costly. The remedy is very cheap and easy. Carry one or more spares. There is no good reason not to.
I made this argument 46 times in this thread alone.

Nothing broke, all systems go, the barrel was scorched,
but ran out of ammo one time in the Nam.

Now. And since that time:

I carry all the weapons, mags, and ammo I can, and with extra boxes (and
loaded mags) in the vehicle door compartment, in the nightstand, on top
the fridge, ah, you get the picture.

Recently shot out the Kimber Micro nine........carried (in the pocket) for a
year and a half, the mag never removed, only blew the lint out on occasion;
she emptied out just fine.

Stay pretty much with manufacturers specs and equipment, don't get fancy
with the whistles & bells, don't mind carrying +P when she proves she will
consume it reliably. Her twin is in the other pocket so something to be
said for standardization/interchangeability if/when things do go south with
unexpected surprises.

Older now, slower, Arthur I. Tiss is my constant companion but I remain 360
aware of my surroundings and survey way down the street. I could become
a victim and I know it, never haughty, BUT, if I go down it won't be because
I don't have spare/functional mags or out of ammunition..................................

I always buy magazines made by the manufacturer of the gun. Might not be necessary to be that careful, but in fact, I want everything working for me if I ever have to shoot for real. If you choose the best in each category -- magazines made by the mfgr; the bullet that always feeds, shoots, and ejects without any failures in your gun; etc. -- then you will have the best chance of success if you ever have to shoot for real. That's why I don't hesitate to spend the extra money required to get a magazine made by the mfgr; and that's why I carry only Spear Gold Dot 124 gr hollow point 9mm in my Beretta, because it is the one bullet which has never ever failed to work in my Beretta. And that's why I replaced the stupid plasic guide rod in my Beretta with a stainless steel guide rod - the plastic one was starting to bend.
Thats probably a good idea, and gives you some quality assurance. But i'm not sure if any gun manufacturers build their own mags. They probably contract out to the lowest bidder. So the list of who builds mags for who is probably always changing.

ETS.....builds OEM mags for Glock
MEC-GAR..... builds OEM mags for Beretta, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger
McCormick ..... builds OEM mags for Colt and Kimber
Metalform and Checkmate..... build OEM mags for Springfield
Magpul.....builds the OEM mags for alot of ARs

Thats probably a good idea, and gives you some quality assurance. But i'm not sure if any gun manufacturers build their own mags. They probably contract out to the lowest bidder. So the list of who builds mags for who is probably always changing.

ETS.....builds OEM mags for Glock
MEC-GAR..... builds OEM mags for Beretta, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger
McCormick ..... builds OEM mags for Colt and Kimber
Metalform and Checkmate..... build OEM mags for Springfield
Magpul.....builds the OEM mags for alot of ARs
My personal experience has been the following:

ETS: I've owned two Glocks, neither one worked. So I'm a bit biased.
Mec-Gar: I have had bad luck with their aftermarket magazines for 1911s.
McCormick: The magazines I carry daily in my 1911 and have for 25+ years.
Metalform: They seem to work fine. No problems for me.
Magpul: I've had good and bad luck with them. AR mags good, AICS mags very bad.

My personal experience has been the following:

ETS: I've owned two Glocks, neither one worked. So I'm a bit biased.
Mec-Gar: I have had bad luck with their aftermarket magazines for 1911s.
McCormick: The magazines I carry daily in my 1911 and have for 25+ years.
Metalform: They seem to work fine. No problems for me.
Magpul: I've had good and bad luck with them. AR mags good, AICS mags very bad.
Same here with the 1911 mags.. Chip McCormick in all mine. The MEC-GAR mags work good in my 92fs, but since they are based in Italy with Beretta maybe they just work good together...lol.

I have three Berettas, two work just fine, the Cheetah has some issues, not sure if it's magazine related or not yet.
I had a Cheetah yrs ago. I bought it used and it never ran right. I liked it tho because it looked like a baby 92. I think those being the blowback design need a little more horsepower to function reliably than what the calibers they come in can provide. But i know a couple guys that have them and they run fine...so ?

@

This brings up another question that might be addressed else where, do you clean or do maintenance on your magazines? I have cleaned and inspected, some, on occassion.
I take the base plates off now and then to make sure no debris has accumulated, make sure the spring still has decent tension and maybe put a drop of oil on the spring. Mostly, and I'm just being completely honest, I very much enjoy the act of breaking down my weapons, inspecting them, cleaning, and just checking them for any abnormalities. I have kind of a "watched pot never boils" mentality when it comes to my weapons. It's kind of a happy place for me if that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't...lol

I take the base plates off now and then to make sure no debris has accumulated, make sure the spring still has decent tension and maybe put a drop of oil on the spring. Mostly, and I'm just being completely honest, I very much enjoy the act of breaking down my weapons, inspecting them, cleaning, and just checking them for any abnormalities. I have kind of a "watched pot never boils" mentality when it comes to my weapons. It's kind of a happy place for me if that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't...lol
It makes perfect sense to us.... But maybe wouldn't to folks on a Basket weaving forum ..lol.

Back