testtest

Should the M1A Have a Scout Scope?

Talyn

Ronin
Founding Member
I have a Burris 2-7x32 scout scope using QR rings on my Scout, albeit using a different mount that in the article.

And the Burris 2-7 is shorter than either the Vortex or Hi-Lux in the article.

My .02

Blackfeather

Master Class
When it comes to optics on my M14s I prefer a red dot sight with a 2 MOA dot, or a Holographic sight with a 1 MOA dot. The "have your cake and eat it to" scope that I use on my 16.25" Socom length "Walter Mitty" M14 is an awesome Leupold 1.5-5x33 Scout scope with a 1 MOA Firedot. Unfortunately Leupold discontinued the scope, but you can still find them on the secondary market.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.1.jpg
    IMG_8277.1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7993.JPG
    IMG_7993.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
Hello! I just picked up a SOCOM and a Crossfire II for it - I'm glad I found this article! Should I worry about shell ejection and the overhang of the scope? Shells should go up and out, but it only takes one to give that scope I bad day I think.

Talyn

Ronin
Founding Member
Hello! I just picked up a SOCOM and a Crossfire II for it - I'm glad I found this article! Should I worry about shell ejection and the overhang of the scope? Shells should go up and out, but it only takes one to give that scope I bad day I think.
A scout scope should mount entirely forward of the opening of receiver.

If you have a conventional scope then a good mount (over the top of the receiver) should be designed to prevent ejection issues, although if youe ejector/ejector spring has issues that can affect shell ejection.

BlackLion

Operator
I have the M1A Scout Squad with a 2-7X long eye relief scout scope. To date I haven't had any issues with the action or during ejection. I have actually come to really like the forward mounted scout scope idea.

What ring height would you recommend for these optics on this rifle?

I tried to zero using medium rings but ran out of elevation play.

Thanks, and great write up!

Really great shooting, I’ve taken my .308 M1A standard out to 200 yards with great result with a Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX 4.5-14X44 scope, the only range available to me only goes to 300 yards but I’d love to see how far out I could take that gun.
I will say that M1A Scout in the video doesn’t jump under recoil like my standard does.

Blackfeather

Master Class
Consider replacing the factory M1A scout mount with an Ultimak or the lighter, cooler running scout hand guard from M14.ca. These rails allow you to position the optic lower than you can on the factory mount, and you can co-witness the iron sights through some low profile RDS.

No, you can't co-witness through the Comp M4 pictured here.

IMG_3606.JPG