testtest

Should the M1A Have a Scout Scope?

Talyn

Ronin
Founding Member
I have a Burris 2-7x32 scout scope using QR rings on my Scout, albeit using a different mount that in the article.

And the Burris 2-7 is shorter than either the Vortex or Hi-Lux in the article.

My .02

Blackfeather

Operator
When it comes to optics on my M14s I prefer a red dot sight with a 2 MOA dot, or a Holographic sight with a 1 MOA dot. The "have your cake and eat it to" scope that I use on my 16.25" Socom length "Walter Mitty" M14 is an awesome Leupold 1.5-5x33 Scout scope with a 1 MOA Firedot. Unfortunately Leupold discontinued the scope, but you can still find them on the secondary market.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.1.jpg
    IMG_8277.1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7993.JPG
    IMG_7993.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Hello! I just picked up a SOCOM and a Crossfire II for it - I'm glad I found this article! Should I worry about shell ejection and the overhang of the scope? Shells should go up and out, but it only takes one to give that scope I bad day I think.

Talyn

Ronin
Founding Member
Hello! I just picked up a SOCOM and a Crossfire II for it - I'm glad I found this article! Should I worry about shell ejection and the overhang of the scope? Shells should go up and out, but it only takes one to give that scope I bad day I think.
A scout scope should mount entirely forward of the opening of receiver.

If you have a conventional scope then a good mount (over the top of the receiver) should be designed to prevent ejection issues, although if youe ejector/ejector spring has issues that can affect shell ejection.

BlackLion

Operator
I have the M1A Scout Squad with a 2-7X long eye relief scout scope. To date I haven't had any issues with the action or during ejection. I have actually come to really like the forward mounted scout scope idea.