testtest

Should the M1A Have a Scout Scope?

I have a Burris 2-7x32 scout scope using QR rings on my Scout, albeit using a different mount that in the article.

And the Burris 2-7 is shorter than either the Vortex or Hi-Lux in the article.

My .02

When it comes to optics on my M14s I prefer a red dot sight with a 2 MOA dot, or a Holographic sight with a 1 MOA dot. The "have your cake and eat it to" scope that I use on my 16.25" Socom length "Walter Mitty" M14 is an awesome Leupold 1.5-5x33 Scout scope with a 1 MOA Firedot. Unfortunately Leupold discontinued the scope, but you can still find them on the secondary market.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.1.jpg
    IMG_8277.1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_7993.JPG
    IMG_7993.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 277
Hello! I just picked up a SOCOM and a Crossfire II for it - I'm glad I found this article! Should I worry about shell ejection and the overhang of the scope? Shells should go up and out, but it only takes one to give that scope I bad day I think.

Hello! I just picked up a SOCOM and a Crossfire II for it - I'm glad I found this article! Should I worry about shell ejection and the overhang of the scope? Shells should go up and out, but it only takes one to give that scope I bad day I think.
A scout scope should mount entirely forward of the opening of receiver.

If you have a conventional scope then a good mount (over the top of the receiver) should be designed to prevent ejection issues, although if youe ejector/ejector spring has issues that can affect shell ejection.

I have the M1A Scout Squad with a 2-7X long eye relief scout scope. To date I haven't had any issues with the action or during ejection. I have actually come to really like the forward mounted scout scope idea.

What ring height would you recommend for these optics on this rifle?

I tried to zero using medium rings but ran out of elevation play.

Thanks, and great write up!

Really great shooting, I’ve taken my .308 M1A standard out to 200 yards with great result with a Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX 4.5-14X44 scope, the only range available to me only goes to 300 yards but I’d love to see how far out I could take that gun.
I will say that M1A Scout in the video doesn’t jump under recoil like my standard does.

Consider replacing the factory M1A scout mount with an Ultimak or the lighter, cooler running scout hand guard from M14.ca. These rails allow you to position the optic lower than you can on the factory mount, and you can co-witness the iron sights through some low profile RDS.

No, you can't co-witness through the Comp M4 pictured here.

IMG_3606.JPG

I really appreciated this video! It is what partly sold me on the scout idea though I have been thinking about it for a while.

Here's my problem: I have the M1A Socom 16 as well, and the Vortex Crossfire II Scout 2x7 and I am not able to get the optic aligned with my laser boresight. I know the laser is accurate, but the crossfire reticle seems to be high and to the left in comparison with the laser boresight.

I have read about others (including this post) running out of elevation on the scope, but it has 60MOA adjustment so should be more than adequate for the application due to height over bore.

My problem is I went to the range and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 25 yards. I literally couldn't even hit the paper.

I am now on my second Vortex Crossfire II, and a second set (low mount this time) of rings.

Vortex optics had this to say to me by email:

Thank you for reaching out. We have heard and seen here in our shop many issues with M1A's due to their "unique" mounting systems and scopes running out of adjustment. With the old school M1A's and having their barrels drilled and tapped you can have a lot of run out in both windage and elevation and even with the newer ones with the clamping style picatinny rail as well.

But when a scope runs out of adjustment there is really 2 ways for it to be an optic issue. First, the scope is over-torqued in the rings and therefore not allowing the optic to adjust freely. And second, the scope is physically bent from a drop or fall. Aside from complete mechanical failure, everything else would be an alignment issue with the rifle, base, rings, etc. We would always be happy to inspect your optic here though and make sure that it is operating as it should! If you would like to discuss the M1A's more, feel free to give us a call at 800-486-7839 ext. 2, and Ryan M is our in house expert on those (and many other rifles). Let me know if you have any questions!

Best Regards,

I am going to try and get this one to work, I have leveled everything properly, double checked everything, and can't understand why I'm having these problems when many seem to not have the issue.

I am going to test at the range today, and if I am still way off the mark with the reticle this thing is going back to SA for warranty repair for the PIC rail being out of allignment. This is BS for a $2000 brand new rifle.

Certainly it could be the rifle rail, but did you make sure the rifle and scope were level, independently of each other during the mounting?

Just 2 days ago, I mounted a scope on my newly acquired Socom. Basic rings, nothing exceptional. Hi-Lux 2-7 LER scope. Had to move in to 40’ for paper hits and then moved out to 75’(range max unfortunately)

150g ball / elbow rest :

Attachments

• IMG_6292.jpeg
    IMG_6292.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 87
Certainly it could be the rifle rail, but did you make sure the rifle and scope were level, independently of each other during the mounting?

Just 2 days ago, I mounted a scope on my newly acquired Socom. Basic rings, nothing exceptional. Hi-Lux 2-7 LER scope. Had to move in to 40’ for paper hits and then moved out to 75’(range max unfortunately)

150g ball / elbow rest :
Thanks for the info. Yes, I did use leveling tools on both the scope and the barrel, and the gun before all that.

I used proper torque settings and still couldn't get it to laser bore sight.

Ended up taking it to a Scopesmith who literally took it to his back room came back in 2 minutes and said "good news, there's nothing wrong with the rifle or scope - you may have just got outside yourself."

Even if there wasn't a bit of a language barrier - I knew exactly what he was talking about. I had consumed myself with this thing all week, making adjustments, tightening and loosening, thinking up new ideas where I went wrong (loctite, no loctite etc.)

Anyways, I am not sure exactly what he did but he had it fixed in 10 mins free of charge. Went to the range that same day and can now get on paper at 25y. Not as good as I'd like but I'll take it to an outdoor range next week.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I did use leveling tools on both the scope and the barrel, and the gun before all that.

I used proper torque settings and still couldn't get it to laser bore sight.

Ended up taking it to a Scopesmith who literally took it to his back room came back in 2 minutes and said "good news, there's nothing wrong with the rifle or scope - you may have just got outside yourself."

Even if there wasn't a bit of a language barrier - I knew exactly what he was talking about. I had consumed myself with this thing all week, making adjustments, tightening and loosening, thinking up new ideas where I went wrong (loctite, no loctite etc.)

Anyways, I am not sure exactly what he did but he had it fixed in 10 mins free of charge. Went to the range that same day and can now get on paper at 25y. Not as good as I'd like but I'll take it to an outdoor range next week.
Good to hear 👍
Sometimes we overthink the obvious

Back