testtest

Should You Carry Your Gun With an Empty Chamber?

Was just skimming through and thought you all might be interested in seeing a piece we ran (by no less than Mas Ayoob) on this very subject: https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-an-empty-chamber-dangerous/
… very well written, from a very clear thinking guy.

Only one comment, and it’s largely immaterial: Mas has no doubt drawn & fired an already chambered round a bazillion times. But wonder how much actual practice he has in drawing, chambering and firing? There’d be some impact to his time, however minimal.

Was just skimming through and thought you all might be interested in seeing a piece we ran (by no less than Mas Ayoob) on this very subject: https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-an-empty-chamber-dangerous/
A good article and as usual good information however With the author being a highly trained professional it would have also been a benefit and definitely made a bigger impact to bring in someone who is trained but doesn’t have the thousands of hours behind the gun to see the time differences between the two ways to carry.
Just my thoughts.

I agree 100% with this article. Carrying on an empty chamber was fine back in the old west when there were no safety mechanisms in the lockwork of single action revolvers. There is no reason to do so with modern handguns used for EDC. It is a practice that would get you second place and dead in a gun fight.

Simply stated, with current firearms, anyone who carries empty chamber has a knowledge/confidence/skill deficit and is at a disadvantage.

Apologies if someone mentioned this, or if I missed it in Ayoobs article, but you are also shorting yourself one shot if you carry non-chambered.
Talking about that ‘plus one’ round you see advertised for a guns magazine capacity.

Some guys, my father included, were trained in carrying the pistol with an empty chamber. Back after wwii , peace time troops, in this case the navy, were trained to carry unchambered for guard duty in non combat areas, including Cuba.

It took my dad a long time to break that habit he had drummed into him as an 18 year old learning the pistol for the first time.

Simply stated, with current firearms, anyone who carries empty chamber has a knowledge/confidence/skill deficit and is at a disadvantage.
Not true.
Training.
I have neither lack of skill, confidence or knowledge.
I can draw, rack the slide as it comes out of the holster in one fluid motion, and engage whether hip or arm extended.

We can debate advantage and disadvantage all day long.
I carry both round in chamber and without. Personal circumstance and personal choice for both.
Averages are You are simply not likely to come across a highly trained individual in a gunfight
Even the perp who has a gun drawn say for a car jacking isnt expecting resistance. He thinks he has the upper hand.
Training.
Mind set
Continuous training

Both round in chamber and round out.

Oh, round in chamber doesnt mean you wont have a failure to fire. Better train on failure drills.

Like I stated. You can debate this topic forever.

Not true.
Training.
I can draw, rack the slide as it comes out of the holster in one fluid motion, and engage whether hip or arm extended.

I carry both round in chamber and without. Personal circumstance and personal choice for both.
Averages are You are simply not likely to come across a highly trained individual in a gunfight
Even the perp who has a gun drawn say for a car jacking isnt expecting resistance. He thinks he has the upper hand.
Training.
Mind set
Continuous training

Oh, round in chamber doesnt mean you wont have a failure to fire. Better train on failure drills.

Agree. Training is included in the knowledge part. Personally, I find no reason to ever carry empty chamber.

Not true.
Training.

Training.
Mind set
Continuous training

☝️☝️☝️☝️All day long

Not true.
Training.

Training.
Mind set
Continuous training

I guess then I'm interested in examples of empty chamber carry?

Back