testtest

Should You Carry Your Gun With an Empty Chamber?

Most of us have different levels of comfort with firearms in general, and some are more experienced with firearms than others. I personally hesistate to put too much pressure on someone else to adapt to or accept things "my way." I would feel horrible if they tried to comply and wound up getting hurt or killed. I would not be comfortable carrying a 1911 locked and loaded, depending only on the safety and my trigger discipline, especially in the heat of the moment in a life or death confrontation. Others are very comfortable doing that (or at least say they are). If someone is apprehensive, I think the best approach is to try to give them more exposure and experience with firearms and let them decide as they "mature how best to carry. My $0.02 worth

I agree with your sentiment, but its hard to get her to that point because she doesn't really take the initiative to get there, and when I ask her to sign up for some classes with me or come to the range, more often than not I end up going by myself. I guess it's just a bit frustrating but I know I can only push her so much. Hopefully she comes around and becomes more receptive to it. I just want her to be able to take care of herself god forbid i'm not around.

I agree with your sentiment, but its hard to get her to that point because she doesn't really take the initiative to get there, and when I ask her to sign up for some classes with me or come to the range, more often than not I end up going by myself. I guess it's just a bit frustrating but I know I can only push her so much. Hopefully she comes around and becomes more receptive to it. I just want her to be able to take care of herself god forbid i'm not around.
Maybe she is only "into it" because you are? My experience with women is this, if you really want them to do something, first you have to ask them what they want to do and go do that. Not only that, you have to act happy about doing it. Then when you ask her to go to the range, she probably will not say no.

I carried chamber empty for the 1st month I started carrying a firearm, after that it’s been a loaded gun at all times.
every two weeks or so I’ll unload the gun and magazine. I’ll clean the gun wipe down all the rounds, when I reload the mag I load what was in the chamber to the last round in the mag basically rotating all the rounds. Not sure if it makes a difference but just something I do.

I actually just placed an order for my first ever 1911. Springfield Ronin. Not sure exactly when its gonna come in, but when it does, i'm going to have some questions most likely lol. Be ready for me =)

I don't mind answering questions, but there are guys here infinitely more qualified to guide your 1911 experience than I am. Particularly where SA is concerned.

Congrats on the new Ronin though.

Maybe she is only "into it" because you are? My experience with women is this, if you really want them to do something, first you have to ask them what they want to do and go do that. Not only that, you have to act happy about doing it. Then when you ask her to go to the range, she probably will not say no.

She seemed genuinely interested in it originally, she isn't one to do something she doesn't like just because I want her to, usually. We did the LTC class together, went out and bought a couple of firearms, and went to the range a handful of times. But lately it's just been complete lack of interest. I might just be reading into it too much, it could just be distraction with us buying the house. I don't know.

Hoping she comes around though. I will take your advice though and see if there is something she wants to do together that I normally would never do.

Back in the dinosaur ages when I was young, I bought my first handgun, a DA/SA .22 caliber revolver. I always carried it (and I carried it a lot) with an empty chamber under the hammer. There was nothing to prevent a discharge if it was dropped or something hit the back of the hammer. Revolvers (at least centerfires) these days are better. They have a bar between the hammer and the firing pin to prevent that. I can understand folks that are cautious about carrying with a round in the chamber.

As far as your gf, dduece22, give her a little time to adjust. Life and death is a serious business and an awful lot of folks just don't like to think about it. Hopefully she will change before her life is in imminent danger. It might be helpful if you could connect her with other women who are much more comfortable carrying. Good luck, and patience grasshopper. :)

"Then when you ask her to go to the range, she probably will not say no."
May be pleasantly surprised on that? My better half loves doing things together at least to try.

It's not quite in my possession yet but thank you! Once I held it I knew I had to have it. Now to start hunting for some .45 ammo.
When you get your Ronin, make sure you chamber a round, then re-chamber that same round 5 or 10 times, then compare the bullet setback with a new cartridge. My 10mm Ronin sets back a bullet about 1/8" after 5 chamberings. I know you are not supposed to re-chamber...but if you EDC you have to. Rotate your ammo and shoot it regularly if your Ronin sets back like mine.

My EDC is a 9mm P365 though...it does not set back bullets like the 1911...(in 10mm...no idea if a .45 does the same thing).

Whatever I might write on this forum, good or bad, right or wrong, is not intended to try to change the thinking of any of our readers. It is merely to throw my 2 cents into the conversation. Maybe it will be helpful to someone or give them a different way to approach a subject that hadn't occurred to them.
I learn something new every day, not an expert on defensive pistol shooting in any way shape or form.
If you want to still hunt varmints with a long barreled revolver, I might have some insights about that.

As far as carrying a gun all the time, I don't. Can't help you.
Carry on.
When appendix positioned, IWB holstering a charged, striker fired, non manual safety gun, please try not to shoot the family jewels. The horror of that mental picture haunts me.
That's all i got. ;)

I’ll yet again open a big a$$ can of worms.
Practice.
Period.

A non practiced shooter will lose to a well season practiced shooter. Period

Technique whether a round in the chamber or not, well seasoned will win. Ask any Top Tier Military or LEO. Top tier Military practice like no tomorrow

I bet I can draw, rack n slide and shoot before most any novice shooter can react with chamber loaded. Skill, and massive and I mean massive practice. Lets face it. Most gun owners rarely go to the range, let alone skill set practice or drills.

Skilled in any sport is endless practice.

I take heart in the fact my practice in firearms outweighs 98% of folks on the street except for seasoned professionals. Whom I don't expect to mug me, steal my wife's purse or kick in my door

You flinch or hesitate, I win

I’ll yet again open a big a$$ can of worms.
Practice.
Period.

A non practiced shooter will lose to a well season practiced shooter. Period

Technique whether a round in the chamber or not, well seasoned will win. Ask any Top Tier Military or LEO. Top tier Military practice like no tomorrow

I bet I can draw, rack n slide and shoot before most any novice shooter can react with chamber loaded. Skill, and massive and I mean massive practice. Lets face it. Most gun owners rarely go to the range, let alone skill set practice or drills.

Skilled in any sport is endless practice.

I take heart in the fact my practice in firearms outweighs 98% of folks on the street except for seasoned professionals. Whom I don't expect to mug me, steal my wife's purse or kick in my door

You flinch or hesitate, I win
I agree…..
I’ve mentioned practice here before; no can of worms there far as I’m concerned. That and SA outweigh most other factors.

Will mention a couple things:
- The hoodlum generally knows what he’s about to do, so he’s got a potential advantage right off. Imho this is what gets most people.

- How much practice can involve ordinary vulnerabilities like having just climbed out of a car (that point where your feet have just touched ground and you might not even be fully upright & oriented for a carjacking)? Ever practice a scenario where you’ve got something in both hands - sacks groceries in each; or an awkward box ? Face it, vulnerable times are when we’re most vulnerable (duh!… sorry) not when we’re alert and oriented.
Just some food for thought.

I agree…..
I’ve mentioned practice here before; no can of worms there far as I’m concerned. That and SA outweigh most other factors.

Will mention a couple things:
- The hoodlum generally knows what he’s about to do, so he’s got a potential advantage right off. Imho this is what gets most people.

- How much practice can involve ordinary vulnerabilities like having just climbed out of a car (that point where your feet have just touched ground and you might not even be fully upright & oriented for a carjacking)? Ever practice a scenario where you’ve got something in both hands - sacks groceries in each; or an awkward box ? Face it, vulnerable times are when we’re most vulnerable (duh!… sorry) not when we’re alert and oriented.
Just some food for thought.
Totally correct, those that allow themselves to become victims are at most times guilty of the failure to be prepared and understand situational awareness.

Modern semi autos are safe with one in the pipe. Information, training and storage is available for those who are unfamiliar with firearms, you just can't dictate what folks avail themselves with. Me? I have multiple loaded firearms in the house as there are no children about. The wife is a good shooter who only carries when traveling solo. She is more comfortable with me being armed when together. Yes, she has discouraged a carload of creeps with a revolver once, for which I'm grateful.

Back