testtest

Should You Choose a Pump-Action or Semi-Automatic Shotgun for Home Defense?

I just went and snapped a couple pics real quick. This is the current set up, which I like very much.

SS5I6YC.jpg

25PQ3H6.jpg

gfk36yX.jpg

4YdPjTp.jpg

I prefer semis, but there’s nothing wrong with a pump.

Benelli M1 is my first choice; Mossberg 500/590 is my second.
Ive had problem s with the 590 dropping rounds out of the bottom of the action before the trap dropped. Do I sold it! In my opinion you can't go wrong with either as long as they are good quality with a good design. Look at the 870, Winchester Defender or Benelli M4. My personal favorite is my trusty recoil operated Belgium made Browning Auto-5 with with an improved cylinder barrel for home defense. It's never jammed after several hundred rounds through it and just hearing that "CLANG!!?CLANG!!! CLANG!!!" Every time I squezz the trigger and that barrel slides the action back and then into full battery is so Awesome! So much fun! Shoot fun shoot safe and shoot straight!

Brother, I have been shotgunning a very long time, I am in good shape with good upper body strength and I am intimately familiar with the push/pull method, proper LOP, stance and recoil mitigation techniques with a shotgun and I don't care who you are if you run 20 3" slugs or even the 2 3/4 1600 FPS Truball slugs through a KSG25 or a 500 or any pump gun it's going to get uncomfortable. Painful may not be the right word, but uncomfortable is definitely an accurate description.

^ I get what you mean, and similarly, I think that distinction really is key.

Discomfort and pain are different things.

Discomfort and even some bruising/chafing from repeated recoil -but properly managed- recoil is one thing- getting one's cheek whacked so hard that their teeth cuts the inside of their mouths or that they don't want to return to the second day of class.....that's something that definitely signals improper technique.

I was never truly comfortable with the SpeedFeed stocks (on my run-of-the-mill 870), even though I really liked their balance and the fact that they carried the spare shells so securely and in such a unobtrusive manner. Even at 6' even, with an average armspan-for-size, it was just a bit too long, and shooting hundreds of high-brass birdshot plus a few boxes of slugs -while it wasn't unpleasant to me- still felt like work. 😅 With the Magpul stock, I go through the same volume without a second thought .

^ I get what you mean, and similarly, I think that distinction really is key.

Discomfort and pain are different things.

Discomfort and even some bruising/chafing from repeated recoil -but properly managed- recoil is one thing- getting one's cheek whacked so hard that their teeth cuts the inside of their mouths or that they don't want to return to the second day of class.....that's something that definitely signals improper technique.

I was never truly comfortable with the SpeedFeed stocks (on my run-of-the-mill 870), even though I really liked their balance and the fact that they carried the spare shells so securely and in such a unobtrusive manner. Even at 6' even, with an average armspan-for-size, it was just a bit too long, and shooting hundreds of high-brass birdshot plus a few boxes of slugs -while it wasn't unpleasant to me- still felt like work. 😅 With the Magpul stock, I go through the same volume without a second thought .
The Mesa Tactical Urbino is great too.

I've got a RIA VR-80 (Magazine Fed Semi-Auto) at the ready with magazines full of slugs and 00Buck to choose from
but realistically, it's the Pistols in Biometric Safes that I'd get to first if I had to

I've got a RIA VR-80 (Magazine Fed Semi-Auto) at the ready with magazines full of slugs and 00Buck to choose from
but realistically, it's the Pistols in Biometric Safes that I'd get to first if I had to
How many rounds have you put through it ? How reliable has it been feeding/ejecting wise. I almost bought one, but I have always had an aversion to external box fed magazines on shotguns. I opted instead for the KSG25 and the IWI TS-12, both of which have tube magazines and hold 25 and 16 rounds respectively. They ( VR80) look like a lot of fun though and one thing I have a really hard time saying no to is fun with shotguns.

As much as I love my shotguns for bird hunting and a couple different games, I just never felt like I wanted one for home defense, etc. But if I did, it would undoubtedly be my 12ga Ithaca Featherlight pump.

I'm sure they are great for those who choose to use them in that way, and I'm just as sure there's no sound in the world that will put the 'fear of god' into a bad guy that the sound of a 12ga pump being racked in the dark of night. Especially if you're the bad guy in a dark place where you shouldn't be. LOL! LOL!

So, if I were to be inclined to use a shotgun, it would undoubtedly be a 12ga pump action.

Back