testtest

Should You Reload Your Own Ammo?

Yes nuff said.
Also keep an adequate supply of materials because you never know, times like this and everything's gone. This should be an eye opener for everyone. You can have all the guns in the world but without ammo or the means to make it all you have some fancy sticks and rocks.

Hand loading and reloading are excellent hobbies.

I load all of my big game hunting ammo. I've yet to fire factory ammo that has come close to accuracy of my big game loads.

I used to load for handguns, and still do for .38 Special rounds. I don't have to load 9MM, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP because my former employer gives me free factory ammo to shoot at its range.

My 30.06 hunting ammo and .45-70 ammo is way more precise than anything I've found in factory and the .45-70 is more precise that the hi-po stiff I've gotten from boutique shops like Underwood. I don't make thermonuclear +p handloads to match the potency of Underwood's stuff. My 30.06 load is more potent and with Barnes TSXs it gets sub MOA. Way cheaper, too. I'm still trying to beat Federal GMM in my M1A and my precision AR15, but my handloads are way cheaper than the Federal loads. With big-bore handguns I do it for the cost savings. I don't bother with loading a 9mm. Plus, I really like the process of putting together some truly consistent handloads.

Most factory ammunition is made to function in all kinds of weapons of that caliber. Loading for what works in your particular weapon is priceless! Find what your weapon likes, not so much bullet weight but powder. Once you find this combo? IT IS ROCKIN! Your groups will tighten up, confidence in your ability will increase, and the more you practice with any given powder and bullet weight, the better you will get. The cost per round will drop like a stone. The outlay for reloading equipment will be made up in the savings for buying box after box of complete rounds that will not give you the accuracy you seek. Would you rather have groups that you can cover with a quarter or a barn door?

Last edited:
... Ah but in the times we are in at the moment when you can't find ammo, and you have the tools and the know how to make your own? Skills are power my friend... Skills are power. The more skills you possess? The more powerful you become. And on it goes...

Never thought that much about custom loading, but now that I do think about it.... I use store bought ammo in my 30-30 and have always put 5 shots in a 3" circle @ 100 yards. Never missed a deer I aimed at. That said, I love shooting muzzle loaders. I am very particular about my loads. I buy a bag of 50 caliber round balls and pitch out almost half of them, The ones I use must measure .49 and not have any mold marks on them. I use Pyrodex -P and make sure each measure is exactly 90 grains. My accuracy has always been consistent with 5 shots in a 2" circle @ 100 yards. Guess I should have gotten into reloading back in the day!

Back