testtest

Should You Shoot? Self-Defense Tips You Don’t Know

On the subject of self-defense...

By our (and many states') definitions, you're permitted to shoot bad guys to stop an immediate, deadly threat to your person (and others.) I wonder, though, how many self-defense cases transitioned from self-defense into executions. Not taking into account "the heat of the moment," human nature is such that it would be REALLY tempting to let off more than the necessary rounds to stop the threat from a bad guy and punish him "with extreme prejudice." True, you'd be doing the world a favor in offing bad guys like that, but it would be hard to explain to the police "I felt threatened while letting fly the first five rounds but I felt that the sixth one stopped the threat."

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Should You Shoot? Self-Defense Tips You Don’t Know" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/should-you-shoot-self-defense-tips-you-dont-know/.

I really appreciate this article. As a first time firearm owner, I want to be absolutely sure before making the decision to fire my weapon at another human, and this article really put that into focus for me. I personally want to try to de-escalate first. Why am I being threatened? Can I do anything to calm the possible assailant down? Second is to remove myself from the situation, which the author suggests in the article. Get away, get cover, call 911. Now I need to add jeopardy into the mix and make it the reason why I draw my weapon. I'm glad I got a fresh look at the many ways a confrontation could go.

In Chicago, the situations are even more complex. Most robberies involve several (3-4) felons exiting a vehicle, where at least 2-3 are armed, with a back up car containing more thugs. I am not saying that it is a good idea to get into a shootout in such a scenario, but if you do, it is very unclear as to who you can shoot and who you cannot. The Illinois law requires a reasonable belief in imminent grievous bodily harm. How does one apply that standard where there are multiple participants? Can you shoot an unarmed thug when his accomplices are armed? What about the driver of the first escape vehicle? What if participants start to exit the second vehicle? Do you have to wait to see if they are armed? As a result of the uncertainty, the risk of being prosecuted may outweigh the benefits of carrying.

Use of force cases are judged with the reasonable man standard within the framework of the law. That is, Would a reasonable person under the circumstances believe he or others were in imminent peril of death or grievous bodily harm? In some states, there is justification if there is imminent commission of a forcible felony, regardless of who the victim is.
Know the law where you are, get training, don't produce a gun until you intend to use it. Many LE organizations offer courses where you can hear it directly from your LEO's.

Mas Ayoob phrases the standard as "Immediate, otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm to innocent human life." (y)
Drpneson the terrain and situation, as the Marines taught me 50+ years ago. In that respect, lot of considerations…your age (I am 78), physical condition and others impact what is unavoidable danger. And always remember… you shoot to stop his actions, not to kill!

Always be familiar with the three different types of self-defense laws that apply to your state/locality.

Plus, some states may have additional clarification in their state codes, as does my state.

Last edited:
Back