testtest

Shoulder Holsters for Concealed Carry: Boom or Burden?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
For concealed carry, belt holsters remain the most popular choice. Such a holster worn either inside or outside the waistband affords the user the most efficient draw stroke. And they can be very low profile with the right covering garment.

1703047954909.png

Good and balanced article.

I generally default to strong side hip carry, but. Shoulder holsters have their place. My first use of one for duty was in a foreign country where we had no SOFA agreement. I worked armed forces patrol off base. The local police didn't care if we were armed as long as the guns were not visible so we carried our Model 15's in shoulder holsters under the BDU blouse.

As an Air Force agent in plain clothes we had the option of holsters and shoulder holsters were pretty popular in the 70's and 80's. I found them especially useful when driving the limo or at a seated entry point on protection details. I liked the vertical breakfront style when we had M9's but preferred the horizontal rig after we were issued the M11. I think every agent has at least one shoulder rig in their kit. I have a rig that has a carrier on the off side that carried magazines, a surefire light, and handcuffs. When you strap it to your belt on both sides it is a pretty secure setup.

I also have a vertical rig for a N frame revolver that I have found useful for hunting applications but don't use it much any more since starting to carry the 10mm SIG in a belt holster. It is good to have options.

I usually carry in a belt holster, but…for long drives, I very much prefer a shoulder holster; it’s a lot more comfortable, and a lot easier to access when seated…which is why she I se a movie, I’m wearing a shoulder holster.

It’s also preferred under a longer winter jacket.

I wore a cheap shoulder rig when I rode a motorcycle into South Phoenix for work. Not sure where it ended up, but it served its purpose back then. Honestly, I had a greater risk from ladders, furniture and tires on the freeway than a gang banger in the hood. It takes a while for your brain register exactly what object you dodged as you are traveling 75 mph. I also had a few stoppies that raised my blood pressure. Back to the topic, SH work well, but waist and pocket carry work for me now.

I wore a cheap shoulder rig when I rode a motorcycle into South Phoenix for work. Not sure where it ended up, but it served its purpose back then. Honestly, I had a greater risk from ladders, furniture and tires on the freeway than a gang banger in the hood. It takes a while for your brain register exactly what object you dodged as you are traveling 75 mph. I also had a few stoppies that raised my blood pressure. Back to the topic, SH work well, but waist and pocket carry work for me now.
Depending on when you were in S. PHX, I was there in the early 60s, when things were a bit interesting! More to th3 point. As a P.I., especially doing executive protection, I tended to use shoulder holsters. My usual was a MnuteMan holster, which allowed the use of different pistols. Back then, I tended to carry a 5904 or a Sigma 40. Actually I still use the Sigma, but include a CZ-40 and CZ-83. I recently found a couple of extra holsters which I will convert to other pistols. As mentioned, I still use the holster set and find it very useful when using a coat or even heavy shirt…

Back