testtest

Sig mags, might fit Canik

Old_Me

Ronin
as i have mentioned in another posting, my state reduced us to 10 round mags. (a lawsuit has been filed in the US Supreme court)

as it stands, i needed 10 round mags for my Canik METE SFx.

at the range, it was noted that Sig 226 mags fit this model Canik, and it was demonstrated.

So off to Sig's website and i ordered up 10 rd mags.

they just arrived, they insert and lock into place (even with the magwell), they hold back the slide, and eject.

this is a Sig website picture

1659706516447.png

i go to the range on this coming Monday to try them out.

will these mags fit all Caniks...??

i don't know but the part number for the Canik 10 rd mag is.....MA549, and quite a few other Caniks, use that same mag as well...

they are kinda pricey, at nearly $50 each, and right now, the mag websites i usually buy from..??

are out of stock.

as i have mentioned in another posting, my state reduced us to 10 round mags. (a lawsuit has been filed in the US Supreme court)

as it stands, i needed 10 round mags for my Canik METE SFx.

at the range, it was noted that Sig 226 mags fit this model Canik, and it was demonstrated.

So off to Sig's website and i ordered up 10 rd mags.

they just arrived, they insert and lock into place (even with the magwell), they hold back the slide, and eject.

this is a Sig website picture

View attachment 29651

i go to the range on this coming Monday to try them out.

will these mags fit all Caniks...??

i don't know but the part number for the Canik 10 rd mag is.....MA549, and quite a few other Caniks, use that same mag as well...

they are kinda pricey, at nearly $50 each, and right now, the mag websites i usually buy from..??

are out of stock.
Good to Know Old_Me. I have the Mete and the Elite Combat, and as you are aware Canik Magazines are scarce (Killerford continues to buy them all up :LOL:). I did see the Canik rep at this years Shot Show, discuss how they are aware of the magazine supply issue, and are in the process of producing a lot more for sale here in the USA (or so he says). I don't remember him talking about capacities, hopefully they'll take into account States that have limits like your.
Let us know how they worked out at your next range session (and I just might pick up a few myself ;)).

Good to Know Old_Me. I have the Mete and the Elite Combat, and as you are aware Canik Magazines are scarce (Killerford continues to buy them all up :LOL:). I did see the Canik rep at this years Shot Show, discuss how they are aware of the magazine supply issue, and are in the process of producing a lot more for sale here in the USA (or so he says). I don't remember him talking about capacities, hopefully they'll take into account States that have limits like your.
Let us know how they worked out at your next range session (and I just might pick up a few myself ;)).
yeah, i wish that i had the time to have tried them out today (friday), but other time constraints hold me back.

also, i simply DO NOT go to the public range on weekends...too many "weekend Rambos", in camo, face paint, bullet proof vests, and army boots show up...

ok, maybe not face paint, but you kinda get the idea of those that DO show up, on the weekends

yeah, i wish that i had the time to have tried them out today (friday), but other time constraints hold me back.

also, i simply DO NOT go to the public range on weekends...too many "weekend Rambos", in camo, face paint, bullet proof vests, and army boots show up...

ok, maybe not face paint, but you kinda get the idea of those that DO show up, on the weekends
I hear you on that one. Interestingly, my club there would be people there 24/7/7. Since the pandemic, every time I go, or drive by it, it's empty. I see people there once in a while but nothing like it use to be. It's nice to go there and not worry about the 🤡 in the next lane with all of his non-member buddies taking up the rest of the lanes. That usually turns into a very short outing.

I hear you on that one. Interestingly, my club there would be people there 24/7/7. Since the pandemic, every time I go, or drive by it, it's empty. I see people there once in a while but nothing like it use to be. It's nice to go there and not worry about the 🤡 in the next lane with all of his non-member buddies taking up the rest of the lanes. That usually turns into a very short outing.
yeah, my club is open 24/7/365 as well, as we all have key fobs to get in...however, due to it being an old club, then houses built around it, there are rules for us, that NO shooting from 11PM until 8:30 AM...

otherwise, you wanna meet up with someone, have a party, go for it when no shooting can take place.

yeah, my club is open 24/7/365 as well, as we all have key fobs to get in...however, due to it being an old club, then houses built around it, there are rules for us, that NO shooting from 11PM until 8:30 AM...

otherwise, you wanna meet up with someone, have a party, go for it when no shooting can take place.
Similar here. Our indoor range, no issues. Our outdoor range is actually located in another town. They built a very affluent neigthborhood around it on one side, school right across the street. The neighbors have the club presidents number on speed dial so if one shot goes off "after hours" he gets multiple calls, has to look up card access, call you and tell you to knock it off, yada, yada. When he is asked who the "idiots" where that decided to built a gun club across the street from a school, they get very quiet when he tells them the club has been there for decades before the school was even thought of.

i don't know how our key fobs work...i do not know if it logs us in, or just opens the door..we have to sign in/out a log book when we enter/leave.......

we do have security cameras as well

i'd like to see it set up with the key fob, enters us into a program as to time, date that we unlocked the door.

then as "back up", we still sign in.

as it is, if i notice something, and i have more than once, i call one of the VP's, and tell him the issue. from there, they go to the log book, then to the recordings, and see who it was that did, whatever the complaint is about..

i failed to mention, that the public range i belong to, was ripping busy during the pandemic, they have since laid off some of the part time RSO's due to a drastic drop in shooters, since late spring....only us "hard core" members seem to show up..

which is great......we all know each other........and know that each one of us know how to handle our weapons, up to and including they let us rapid fire.

sometimes, an RSO has to leave for a minute or 2, and we can continue shooting.

ok update..

sorta a good/bad thing

went to the range, took my Canik METE SFx, and those Sig 226 mags.

loaded up one mag, inserted it, heard the "click'

fired 1 rd, and mag pops out a bit.

tried another, same thing.

i removed the magwell, thinking this did not allow full insertion of the magazine.

nope.

compared the base plates on the Canik mags, and the Sig, Sig seemed to be a bit higher, where it should rest in the grip.

got home, did some more thinking, then took notice of the mag lock cut outs in both the Canik and Sig mags.

well, Sig was smaller.

so i figure i gotta try something.

took out my dremel tool, and made the Sig a tad bit wider.

inserted it, the mag locked, and even with a screwdriver, i could not get it to pop out.

i cannot get back to the range for another 2 to 3 days to test this out.

but i think it'll work, if not, then i only lose 1 magazine.

untouched Sig mag on far left..."reworked" Sig mag in the middle, and the Canik mag on far right..

1659976268717.png

i should also point out that the snap cap was put in, to hold the mag spring down from the hole.

ok update..

sorta a good/bad thing

went to the range, took my Canik METE SFx, and those Sig 226 mags.

loaded up one mag, inserted it, heard the "click'

fired 1 rd, and mag pops out a bit.

tried another, same thing.

i removed the magwell, thinking this did not allow full insertion of the magazine.

nope.

compared the base plates on the Canik mags, and the Sig, Sig seemed to be a bit higher, where it should rest in the grip.

got home, did some more thinking, then took notice of the mag lock cut outs in both the Canik and Sig mags.

well, Sig was smaller.

so i figure i gotta try something.

took out my dremel tool, and made the Sig a tad bit wider.

inserted it, the mag locked, and even with a screwdriver, i could not get it to pop out.

i cannot get back to the range for another 2 to 3 days to test this out.

but i think it'll work, if not, then i only lose 1 magazine.

untouched Sig mag on far left..."reworked" Sig mag in the middle, and the Canik mag on far right..

View attachment 29719

i should also point out that the snap cap was put in, to hold the mag spring down from the hole.
Just buy a Sig gun and ditch the Canik 🤪🤪🤪🤪

ok an update of the Sig to Canik magazine substitution, with some pics.

went to the range this morning. loaded up the slightly modified Sig 10 rd magazine.

"pop, pop, pop" went the gun 9 times....

why only 9 times..??

the 10th round held open the slide....as if it were an empty mag.....

several attempts, proved fruitless.

what i found is that, the "cut out" for the follower is not as long as the canik....

also what was found, is that the follower itself has a rather "thicker or taller tab"..??? to pop up the slide lever lock.

so now, after searching on how to disassemble a Sig 226 10 round magazine, and came up empty, i just said, "screw it, i'm going in, and if i don't come out, i hope the Mrs calls the Coast Guard"

with pics below, what i now have to do is, extend the followers guide slot longer, then cut down on the size of the followers tab.

Canik mag, on the left, Sig, on the right, look at the length of the slot..

1660160473901.png

thankfully with what tools i have accumulated for "some smithing", the Sig mag came apart...

1660160552901.png

right now, i just cannot easily remove the follower from the spring, but for me and a light hand at the dremel i'll cut down that tab on the follower.

then comes even more fun, the reassembly of my Frankenstein magazine, and yet another range trip.

maybe friday

update....been a less humid day today, got the entire yard and garden up to specs.

decided that i was going to "monkey around" with my Frankenstein Sig mag, then off to the club in the morning.

what i had to do was, take apart the Canik mag, and then look into the magwell, from the top, to see if any interference was present from the Sig mag.

frankly, i did not see any.

but, i still went ahead, and ground down the followers tab, that lifts the slide lock into position on the last round.

then i elongated the followers "guide slot???" in the mag body.

i then ran 2 snap caps....

the first ejected the round, now the second (last round)

well. it ejected, AND held open the slide..>!!!!!

here is a new picture the Sig with the extended cut out on the mag body on the left, and the canik on the right.

you should be able to the the "shaved down" follower as well.

(you can compare it to the pics above, in another posting)

1660246080772.png

i'll post the results of tomorrows range visit, good, bad, or ugly.....

well astronaut Jim Lovell, was quoted as saying after the failed Apollo 13 mission, (from the movie)

"our mission was a successful failure".........(i may have paraphrased that, at least as i recall from the movie with Tom Hanks....)

well, i took the Canik to the club, loaded up the Frankenstein modified Sig magazine, and IT SHOT ALL 10 rounds..!!!!!!!...... (my successful attempt)

however....after the last round?

it did not lock the slide back. (the mission failure)

well, when i got home, i knew from the other day, that the Canik follower would fit into to Sig mag..

so, i switched out the Sig follower to the Canik's.

another range trip, hopefully come monday morning

or i'll have to conjure up another movie quote.......

the actual quote..

“We said shortly after that flight that it was a successful failure,”

UPDATE: August 15, 2022

SUCCESS.......!!!!!

i took the canik to the range, and it worked flawlessly with the modified Sig mag.

it shot all 10 rds, and held back the slide on the last round.

as i mentioned in another posting, i replaced the sig follower, with one from a canik..

now, what i will do is keep the other 2 sig mags, and if i have to, modify them as well, IF MecGar, cannot build them for the Canik in 10 round capacity.

point here too, i don't know why this is typing in bold print, for like a zillion times, i made sure that feature was turned off....

UPDATE: August 15, 2022

SUCCESS.......!!!!!

i took the canik to the range, and it worked flawlessly with the modified Sig mag.

it shot all 10 rds, and held back the slide on the last round.

as i mentioned in another posting, i replaced the sig follower, with one from a canik..

now, what i will do is keep the other 2 sig mags, and if i have to, modify them as well, IF MecGar, cannot build them for the Canik in 10 round capacity.

point here too, i don't know why this is typing in bold print, for like a zillion times, i made sure that feature was turned off....
Thats great to hear !!!

So, now your going to transition to Sig guns as you see even with Mec-Gar, their equipment runs flawless 🤪

Thats great to hear !!!

So, now your going to transition to Sig guns as you see even with Mec-Gar, their equipment runs flawless 🤪

1660577157201.png

uhhhh....

noooooooo........

as it is, i am slowly getting away from plastic, in favor of all metal.

except for the Sig 1911, if and when that gets to my LGS.

View attachment 29886

uhhhh....

noooooooo........

as it is, i am slowly getting away from plastic, in favor of all metal.

except for the Sig 1911, if and when that gets to my LGS.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lots of all metal Sigs in the line up

The Legion series are all metal: 226, 220, 320 X5, etc ….

Not all Sigs are plastic wonders. Lots of great Heavy Metal pistols available.

Back