testtest

SIG P-229 MAG ISSUES

You can leave mags loaded forever and it won’t hurt the springs. If you cleaned and dried the inside of the mags and the springs and made sure there were no burrs it’s gotta be either bad springs or bad followers. I’d try to get Sig to replace them.
These two mags are new and have never been loaded. I inspected them found no burrs, excessive lube, degreased them and applied small amount of powdered silicon. Got same results.

I recently purchased a P-229, it came with 2 15 round mags and I purchased 4 more. Loaded 15 rounds in two mags a little over a month ago. I checked on the loaded mags today and I was only able to thumb two rounds from each. The springs were compressed and the remaining rounds were loose, no compression. I smacked the mags on a table trying shake the springs loose, they stayed compressed. I really hate to send them back, guess I'll just get some aftermarket springs. Has anyone had this problem?
It's generally accepted that long term storage of a compressed spring magazine is far less likely to fatigue it than repeated cycling. Coincidentally I just went through some of mine this past weekend and my oldest/longest under compression are two for my 1982 S&W 659. These two particular ones have been compressed almost since I bought it in 1982-3 and still tight as when new.

We're the mags in a holster, perhaps? Is it possible the retention screws maybe deformed the body if adjusted too tight? I'm reaching here because your problem is not common at all. Have you physically pushed the follower through the body without the spring and base plate? Does it travel smoothly? Does it hang up or bind anywhere?

Its very odd you would have bought two faulty magazines with exactly the same problem. Especially since it's not commonly encountered seemingly.

Did you take them apart at any point tto clean or swap base plates? Any chance something got put together wrong?
That question occurred to me as well but I have to assume they were assembled properly with the pointy ends to the front of the mag barrel. I also have to wonder if they are the right caliber. 40 cal mags will fit in a P229-1 9mm pistol.

I have about 20 P229 and P228 magazines and have never had a problem, but have replaced the magazine springs at about 5000 rounds when I replaced the recoil springs in thr guns. I have only seen this problem with range training magazines where the springs/followers are worn out. If these are new mags there is a manufacturing defect and SIG customer service should take care of it. If something went wrong in manufacturing it won't be the first they have seen it.

That question occurred to me as well but I have to assume they were assembled properly with the pointy ends to the front of the mag barrel. I also have to wonder if they are the right caliber. 40 cal mags will fit in a P229-1 9mm pistol.

I have about 20 P229 and P228 magazines and have never had a problem, but have replaced the magazine springs at about 5000 rounds when I replaced the recoil springs in thr guns. I have only seen this problem with range training magazines where the springs/followers are worn out. If these are new mags there is a manufacturing defect and SIG customer service should take care of it. If something went wrong in manufacturing it won't be the first they have seen it.
You can use .40 229 mags (loaded with 9mm, of course) in a 9mm with no issue; I had a 229 with a .40, .357, and 9mm barrel and used the same mags for all 3 calibers with no issue. In fact…besides the numbers by the witness holes, I don’t think there’s any difference between 9 and .40 mags.

Its very odd you would have bought two faulty magazines with exactly the same problem. Especially since it's not commonly encountered seemingly.

Did you take them apart at any point tto clean or swap base plates? Any chance something got put together wrong?
These are new mags, never had been loaded. Inspected mags for burrs, binding, degreased them. Reloaded the mags same outcome.

We're the mags in a holster, perhaps? Is it possible the retention screws maybe deformed the body if adjusted too tight? I'm reaching here because your problem is not common at all. Have you physically pushed the follower through the body without the spring and base plate? Does it travel smoothly? Does it hang up or bind anywhere?
No. The mags are new, never loaded

Last edited:

They are clearly marked 9mm.

Back