testtest

Sig Sauer Sues Attorney for Defamation

wmg1299

Professional
Sig Sauer has filed a lawsuit against a Plaintiffs' Attorney for defamation regarding illustrations on his website that claim to demonstrate how the sear design on the P320 leads to "un-commanded discharges". If the drawings presented in this article are accurate, then Sig may have a valid claim. What's your take on it? Is Sig supporting the 2nd Amendment by standing up against the frivolous lawsuits that threaten to bankrupt gun manufacturers, or are they just another big-money corporation trying to cover-up a legitimate safety issue by scaring away any attorneys who dare to represent innocent victims?

All of this litigation is costing Sig so much money that they’ve created their own version of a Go Fund Me in the form of the $1300 P365 Spectre Comp and the $1400 P320 Spectre Comp to help defray their legal costs.

In other news: Sig Sauer announces higher than expected first quarter profits.

If they made a defective product, and all the complaints suggest to me they have, then 2A has nothing to do with the suit. It's about them making a dangerous product. When it's a firearm manufacturer I have not patience for defective products. They're too dangerous.

The original "agreement" provides $850,000 in attorney fees and payments of $2800 to two plaintiffs and $1400 to another.
Anyone who was charged for a repair under Sigs voluntary recall will get a refund.
If Sig determined the pistol was not repairable the customer will get a refund or a new comparable P320.

Details and actual agreement available here:

HARTLEY V. SIG SAUER, INC. CLASS ACTION AGREEMENT

Last edited:
Let me start with this is “My Opinion”
Many of you know I spent 20 years in manufacturing firearms and I strongly believe that firearm manufacturers build safety into every firearm produced, that being said Sig Sauer has failed in doing the right thing with their P320 now I strongly believe in and enjoy their optics I won’t buy their guns.
Enough said.

I found something interesting recently that mentioned Sig's builds for the government solicitation under the Modular Handgun System. It turns out that Sig built two fire control units, one without a trigger safety and another with the trigger safety installed. I wonder why Sig did not decide to include this additional safety device in their offerings to the civilian market or during the voluntary safety recall.

The original "agreement" provides $850,000 in attorney fees and payments of $2800 to two plaintiffs and $1400 to another.
Anyone who was charged for a repair under Sigs voluntary recall will get a refund.
If Sig determined the pistol was not repairable the customer will get a refund or a new comparable P320.

Details and actual agreement available here:

HARTLEY V. SIG SAUER, INC. CLASS ACTION AGREEMENT
I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express and do not own any Sig Sauer products though they do have a few weapons I wouldn't mind adding to my arsenal but have not kept on the P320 saga other than casual reading about a couple of claims that they've had issues with them going off on their own. Good to see the shoe on the other foot for a change, maybe Sig Sauer will be able to reach into the class action law firms pocket for a change.
Those class action lawyers and the ambulance chasers rankle me to no end. IMHO they are the lowest form of scum. Constantly see the adverts on TV "you may be eligible for $$$ after settlement by (insert company here) for (insert product here)". These lawyers try to make it sound like they are so virtuous by helping their fellow man protect themselves from those dangerous products produced by those evil corporations when all they are doing is lining their pockets and laughing all the way to the bank. In these multi-million/billion dollar settlements a class action lawyer gets 25-35%. Do the math, $500 million average settlements giving the law firms $150 million +/- a shot, right off the top. 100's of law firms out there that do nothing but class action lawsuits.
Why should you care? Because poo-poo runs downhill and we are at the bottom of the hill and paying increased costs for products because of this. How many law firms do they already have working on class action suits for the COVID 19 vaccines? Don't get me wrong, there are some faulty products produced now and will be produced in the future that when used correctly can cause injury and warrant a class action suit but almost every product out there is targeted. How much has it affected innovation?
Don't even get me started on personal injury lawyers. Stupid people, do stupid things and should not be rewarded for it. $3 million paid by McDonald's in punitive damages to a moron who spilled hot coffee on herself and sued because the coffee was too hot. Just one of many cases out there. Read the warning instructions on the next product you buy and realize that the stupid warnings are there because some mental midget did that. Are they going to now have to add a warning to gorilla glue to not use it as hair gel. I owned a restaurant once and everytime you turned around our business insurance premiums would go up because of garbage like this. We seriously need tort reform in this country.

I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express and do not own any Sig Sauer products though they do have a few weapons I wouldn't mind adding to my arsenal but have not kept on the P320 saga other than casual reading about a couple of claims that they've had issues with them going off on their own. Good to see the shoe on the other foot for a change, maybe Sig Sauer will be able to reach into the class action law firms pocket for a change.
Those class action lawyers and the ambulance chasers rankle me to no end. IMHO they are the lowest form of scum. Constantly see the adverts on TV "you may be eligible for $$$ after settlement by (insert company here) for (insert product here)". These lawyers try to make it sound like they are so virtuous by helping their fellow man protect themselves from those dangerous products produced by those evil corporations when all they are doing is lining their pockets and laughing all the way to the bank. In these multi-million/billion dollar settlements a class action lawyer gets 25-35%. Do the math, $500 million average settlements giving the law firms $150 million +/- a shot, right off the top. 100's of law firms out there that do nothing but class action lawsuits.
Why should you care? Because poo-poo runs downhill and we are at the bottom of the hill and paying increased costs for products because of this. How many law firms do they already have working on class action suits for the COVID 19 vaccines? Don't get me wrong, there are some faulty products produced now and will be produced in the future that when used correctly can cause injury and warrant a class action suit but almost every product out there is targeted. How much has it affected innovation?
Don't even get me started on personal injury lawyers. Stupid people, do stupid things and should not be rewarded for it. $3 million paid by McDonald's in punitive damages to a moron who spilled hot coffee on herself and sued because the coffee was too hot. Just one of many cases out there. Read the warning instructions on the next product you buy and realize that the stupid warnings are there because some mental midget did that. Are they going to now have to add a warning to gorilla glue to not use it as hair gel. I owned a restaurant once and everytime you turned around our business insurance premiums would go up because of garbage like this. We seriously need tort reform in this country.
There won't be any COVID vaccine lawsuits unless Pfizer or Moderna committed some willful act that caused damage. It's prohibited by statute. As to the McDonalds suit, that's widely misunderstood. It wasn't about the woman who got burned. McDonalds had had complaints about their coffee being dangerously hot for a long time but it was cheaper for them to keep selling it than retool their makers. So, the jury decided to send McDonalds a message and hit them for one day's profit. Lo and behold, the coffee makers got turned down because McDonalds suddenly had a financial incentive to fix a dangerous situation. That's a big part of tort law, punishing a wrongdoer so they change their behavior. It's not all about stupid people doing stupid things, those are just the ones that make the news because they're so absurd.

The 25-30% fee is standard among all contingent fee lawyers, and up to 40% for something like medical malpractice because they are incredibly expensive cases to pursue and very difficult to win. The law firm shells out a lot of it's own money during the case and takes a big risk. With big risk comes big reward. It's the same with class action and MDL cases. Those things are a ton of work and essentially suck up the lawyers' life for years. It's no 9-5 job. Good luck having a family or free time in the middle of one. Or not developing a serious drinking problem.

With Sig, if they did knowingly put a dangerous weapon on the market, decided to not properly address the problem because they didn't want to spend the money, and people got hurt or killed, you better believe they should pay for it. Companies in capitalist countries like our use that calculus all the time. Do the right thing and fix a dangerous problem, or save money. Money often wins. I don't have the facts to say what did or did not happen here but it's certainly possible Sig followed that playbook. They need to get hit if they did.

I don’t know how offering free upgrades to the P320 was not addressing the situation properly. Not to mention modifying the design from 2019 to incorporate the modification. People complained that Sig didn’t make it a mandatory recall, but I guarantee you those same people would have complained about having to send their gun back. I’m fact, I know several people who opted not to do the update because they didn’t want to be away from their gun for a whole week - which is the turnaround time Sig was performing the updates in. I also know someone who very recently dropped their loaded P320 on a concrete floor and lived to tell the tale.

IMO, this whole lawsuit is about itchy fingered cops and billable lawyer’s hours.

Note to @OkiePewPew - please don’t ban me for using the six letter curse word: lawyer.

I don’t know how offering free upgrades to the P320 was not addressing the situation properly. Not to mention modifying the design from 2019 to incorporate the modification. People complained that Sig didn’t make it a mandatory recall, but I guarantee you those same people would have complained about having to send their gun back. I’m fact, I know several people who opted not to do the update because they didn’t want to be away from their gun for a whole week - which is the turnaround time Sig was performing the updates in. I also know someone who very recently dropped their loaded P320 on a concrete floor and lived to tell the tale.

IMO, this whole lawsuit is about itchy fingered cops and billable lawyer’s hours.

Note to @OkiePewPew - please don’t ban me for using the six letter curse word: lawyer.
Agree @SimonRL. When this problem originally was reported, I already had all four P320 calibers (9mm, 357 Sig, 40 and 45) in different models plus an xChange kit for the 40 Subcompact. After checking that all my serial numbers were affected, I called SIG and quickly received 4 RMA numbers, Prepaid postage and was requested to send in all 4 firearms plus the 40 cal xChange kit slide. I shipped them out, tracked their progress (I did have to call FedEx on one (the 45) that seemed to have remained at an airport while the other 3 were shipped onward to NH. I mentioned to FedEx, that I'd report it as a stolen handgun if I didn't see it forwarded to it destination quickly. Low and behold I see it shipped a few hours later and all 4 arrived at the SIG NH. site at the same time). Total turn around time for the upgrade was about a week and the only inconvenience to me was taking them to a FedEx shipping center and then having to sign for them twice (2 came one day, and 2 the day after). Do I wish they issued a recall instead of a Voluntary Update Program; Yes. Do I wish I got a free mag with each as Ruger did with my two Mark IV pistol that were also under a recalled; Yes. But I must say that I though SIG handled this situation professionally and quickly (even though they were saying it might be a 4+ week turn around), and I've since added a Legion XFive P320 to my collection as well.

Agree @SimonRL. When this problem originally was reported, I already had all four P320 calibers (9mm, 357 Sig, 40 and 45) in different models plus an xChange kit for the 40 Subcompact. After checking that all my serial numbers were affected, I called SIG and quickly received 4 RMA numbers, Prepaid postage and was requested to send in all 4 firearms plus the 40 cal xChange kit slide. I shipped them out, tracked their progress (I did have to call FedEx on one (the 45) that seemed to have remained at an airport while the other 3 were shipped onward to NH. I mentioned to FedEx, that I'd report it as a stolen handgun if I didn't see it forwarded to it destination quickly. Low and behold I see it shipped a few hours later and all 4 arrived at the SIG NH. site at the same time). Total turn around time for the upgrade was about a week and the only inconvenience to me was taking them to a FedEx shipping center and then having to sign for them twice (2 came one day, and 2 the day after). Do I wish they issued a recall instead of a Voluntary Update Program; Yes. Do I wish I got a free mag with each as Ruger did with my two Mark IV pistol that were also under a recalled; Yes. But I must say that I though SIG handled this situation professionally and quickly (even though they were saying it might be a 4+ week turn around), and I've since added a Legion XFive P320 to my collection as well.
Me thinks @BET7 has the dreaded Signess condition……only a few cures that I know for it….. Glockitis……🤣🤣🤣🤣 or XDmania…..🤣🤣🤣🤣

As a follow up to my other posts I remember specifically when this issue first hit the forum that in another thread was an attachment that had information on the possible issue with the very minimal amount of sear
engagement that “could if” suffered a significant blow cause the sear to disengage allowing the gun to fire, I’ve not seen since then any further information on that possibility.

Back