testtest

Sig WINS - SIG Sauer Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
(y)(y)

SIG Sauer has won the contract to provide both the NGSW-Rifle and NGSW-Automatic Rifle. An initial delivery order contract worth $20.4 million has been awarded.

1650409616321.png

SIG’s MCX 6.8 Spear will be designated the XM5 Rifle and the LMG-6.8 belt-fed will be designated the XM250 – designations directly following on from the M4/M4A1 Carbine and M249 SAW which the new weapons will replace.

SIG’s selection means that the US Army’s new 6.8mm round will be based on a hybrid metallic case, not the polymer-based design developed by True Velocity.

SIG Sauer Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

1650408518904.png

1650408543039.png

Last edited:
Fantastic !

And Sig’s will continue to be $$$$$
Think it is $8000 for this new rifle
Other than the recent very limited collectors version of the new M5 (which also included a suppressor), so far there is no general consumption version therefore there is no predicted MSRP for it.

Basic economics will eventually show that prices will be influenced by large-scale production of a civilian version.

But more importantly the new M5 will establish the new mil-spec (like the M-16/AR-15 did) for the larger caliber AR-10-type rifles which hasn't existed to date.

Other than the recent very limited collectors version of the new M5 (which also included a suppressor), so far there is no general consumption version therefore there is no predicted MSRP for it.

Basic economics will eventually show that prices will be influenced by large-scale production of a civilian version.

But more importantly the new M5 will establish the new mil-spec (like the M-16/AR-15 did) for the larger caliber AR-10-type rifles which hasn't existed to date.
Its called the Sig MCX Spear.
Its going for $7999

Its called the Sig MCX Spear.
Its going for $7999

I'm well aware of that, and as I said earlier the MCX-SPEAR has launched as a limited-run production model. These were pre-sold and allotted to certain dealers and distributors. Less than 100 were offered in that configuration based on my LGS being a Sig Elite dealer.

My LGS had one. I checked it out, and it sold for considerably more than the MSRP.

A mass-production version for the civilian market will likely show up in the foreseeable future. MSRP for a new version is unknown at this time.

I'm well aware of that, and as I said earlier the MCX-SPEAR has launched as a limited-run production model. These were pre-sold and allotted to certain dealers and distributors. Less than 100 were offered in that configuration based on my LGS being a Sig Elite dealer.

My LGS had one. I checked it out, and it sold for considerably more than the MSRP.

A mass-production version for the civilian market will likely show up in the foreseeable future. MSRP for a new version is unknown at this time.
And like I said, they did offer a civilian version , which you stated in your OP they did not.
But semantics aside, it was offered.

And like I said, they did offer a civilian version , which you stated in your OP they did not.
But semantics aside, it was offered.
In my first post I did not say they didn't offer a civilian version. In my second post I clearly stated..."Other than the recent very limited collectors version of the new M5 (which also included a suppressor), so far there is no general consumption version therefore there is no predicted MSRP for it."

Sig has not announced a general consumption version as of yet.

Wish someone else would have gotten contract.
The other competitors' proposals couldn't cut the mustard.

One proposal dropped out early & the bullpup proposal changed hands multiple times & was likely DOA last fall.

The best platforms were chosen. The M5 is the new US Army service rifle, and the M250 is the new LMG. Hopefully the Sig MG338 medium MG will be selected soon to replace the M240 & some M2's.

Minimal changes in manual of arms, major performance increases, and relatively easy changes in ammunition manufacturing.

The other Services, especially the USMC, have been monitoring the programs and will likely follow suit and adopt them.

But the M4/M240/M249 etc. will be around for a long time before they go the way of the M-14/M1 Garand/BAR/M60/Browning LMGs of old.

The 6.8x51 is a significant performance enhancement over the 5.56, and the .338 LM will be the same over the 7.62x51 and in some cases the M2.

My .02

BTW - Sig should just change the name of the "commercial" .277 Fury to the 6.8 Fury (same cartridge) to avoid past mistakes & confusion that other manufacturers have made in the past.

Last edited:
In my first post I did not say they didn't offer a civilian version. In my second post I clearly stated..."Other than the recent very limited collectors version of the new M5 (which also included a suppressor), so far there is no general consumption version therefore there is no predicted MSRP for it."

Sig has not announced a general consumption version as of yet.
It’s Sig Sauer, they won’t miss the opportunity to make some coin. I predict the Sig MCX Spear coming to an LGS near you soon. To be followed up with a Spectre, Equinox and Legion version.

It’s Sig Sauer, they won’t miss the opportunity to make some coin. I predict the Sig MCX Spear coming to an LGS near you soon. To be followed up with a Spectre, Equinox and Legion version.
No different than any other manufacturer in the industry, including SA.

With the actual cartridge now selected other manufacturers will be looking at how it will fit into their product lie.

Note: Sig currently offers two versions of the 6.8x51, one with the full mil-power hybrid case and another less powerful version that's all brass. Manufactures will have to see how they can accommodate each version, especially the full mil-power hybrid case.

Last edited:
My question would be how long it will take other NATO countries to adopt the new ammo.
Good question.

Over-seas manufacturers will have to develop new designs or try to modify existing platforms like the current commercial AR-10 types, and existing mil-designs like the H&K MR762A1 and MR308A3.

I don’t currently own a 6.8 but have been thinking about it. Does anyone see the Army’s change resulting in 6.8 being more widely available and cheaper?

I don’t currently own a 6.8 but have been thinking about it. Does anyone see the Army’s change resulting in 6.8 being more widely available and cheaper?
We're not talking about the 6.8 SPC in the new weapons. The 6.8x51 (aka .277 Sig Fury) is a completely new cartridge.
The only thing in common between it and thr 6.8 SPC is the bullet diameter.

Think necked down .308 to .270 caliber.

1650497896307.png
1650498220061.png

5.56 compared to 6.8 SPC
1650498157665.png

Back