testtest

Sig X Series

Jright

Alpha
Founding Member
I want to preface this thread with I am new to firearms, I went into my local shop and they had the Sig Sauer X Carry and X Compact both felt great in my hand. The gentleman at the shop had told me about how Sig Sauer had came out with the X series with interchangable grips. I am curious anyone have any experience with this?

I believe he would be referring to the grip modules. You can swap grip modules out for the one you like the best.

I believe he would be referring to the grip modules. You can swap grip modules out for the one you like the best.
What an awesome feature, I have been researching and apparently one can do slides as well with certain models.

I am pretty familiar with the 320 series, we work on them a lot at the shop and I run one in competition. The 320 is somewhat unique in that the part that is the "gun" is a small drop in "cassette" containing the trigger and sear. It can be inserted into a wide variety of different grip frames, running from sub compact to full size race gun. There are also the regular grip frames, the X frames which I prefer, and the M17 frames in addition to several companies making frames of their own design. There is even a SMG/PCC out there that you can buy in the mail and just drop trigger module into.

The 320 has a lot going for it. Great trigger, the modularity is unparalleled and it is a reliable, good shooting gun. If you wanted to do so, you could buy one "gun" that is the serialized trigger chassis, and then get barrels, slides and grips in 380, 9mm, 40, 45 and 357 Sig.

So I could take my daily carry subcompact 9mm gun that I conceal carry on the weekdays, pull the chasis, drop it into an X series tungsten infused and weighted frame, rack up the RMR equipped match grade slide and barrel, and go run it as a major power factor race gun Saturday. Or drop in onto a compact grip frame and rack a 357 Sig barrel/slide and have a hiking gun that will handle anything in the lower 48.

I have attempted to upload a pic of the part that is the "gun" as far as the ATF is concerned. I keep waiting form someone to come up with an AR lower I can drop one into! Let me know if you have any questions on them.
P320_FrameAssembly-Hero_FPOShadow-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have all the P320’s (I know. I could have just bought 1 and swapped the Fire Control Unit into another frame). The 9, 40 & 357 Sig‘s FCU can be swapped between calibers listed, while the 45 fcu cannot be swapped with the 9, 40, & 357 Sig, only with its own grips, slides & barrels. I bought a Xchange kit to make my 40 compact into the subcompact, an Xchange kit for my 9mm subcompact into the compact, several small grips for the 45, (making my 45 carry into a subcompact), and assorted grips for the 9,40,357 with the different size Mags to fit. It‘s a fantastic system to allow you to swap & build different size & caliber pistols. But be aware that the Xchange kits cost about $100 less than if you just bought a new P320 (at least when I bought them). BTW, I found the Website “Proven Arms Outfitters (formerly Quantico Tactical)” to have very good prices on grips, Xchange kits & Mags for the P320 (when in. Stock). And if you happen to be a First Responder, Veteran, or LEO active or retired, (which I’m not), good prices on the pistols themselves.

while the 45 fcu cannot be swapped with the 9, 40, & 357 Sig, only with its own grips, slides & barrels.
Slight point of clarification. You can take a 45 FCU and run any other caliber in it, with the appropriate grip frame, slide and barrel, but Sig will put its fingers in its ears and close its eyes and say you can't, because the takedown safety bar in the 45 is so much more open (to allow the 45 magazine) than the one in the 9mm, the bar from the 45 chassis will not block the 9mm magazine. Since that is a safety feature they will not endorse it, even though you can do it just fine.

Conversely, you can grind that shelf off or replace the bar in a 9mm chassis, and along with replacing your slide stop lever and maybe adjusting your ejector a smidge, you can make the 9/40/357 chassis play with a 45. Realistically I don't think there is a lot of folks wanting to do this, and since you are playing with the safety system, even if its a somewhat silly passive safety, not something anyone would recommend. Myself included. Totally don't do that. ;)
P320FCU_9-45.jpg

Great info Epeeist, thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, I was going by the Sig Sauer site & researched the internet for reasons why which you have explained. And no, I’m not that experienced that I’d take on the modifications you also describe as I’d probably screw something up :cool:

I have all the P320’s (I know. I could have just bought 1 and swapped the Fire Control Unit into another frame). The 9, 40 & 357 Sig‘s FCU can be swapped between calibers listed, while the 45 fcu cannot be swapped with the 9, 40, & 357 Sig, only with its own grips, slides & barrels. I bought a Xchange kit to make my 40 compact into the subcompact, an Xchange kit for my 9mm subcompact into the compact, several small grips for the 45, (making my 45 carry into a subcompact), and assorted grips for the 9,40,357 with the different size Mags to fit. It‘s a fantastic system to allow you to swap & build different size & caliber pistols. But be aware that the Xchange kits cost about $100 less than if you just bought a new P320 (at least when I bought them). BTW, I found the Website “Proven Arms Outfitters (formerly Quantico Tactical)” to have very good prices on grips, Xchange kits & Mags for the P320 (when in. Stock). And if you happen to be a First Responder, Veteran, or LEO active or retired, (which I’m not), good prices on the pistols themselves.
That's good to know I am an EMT and always on the lookout for good deals. I have not had any experience with 357 Sig although I hear recoil is very manageable, I do however know that it is pricey.

Back