testtest

Sights how zero your rifle/handgun

And then you have today's youth that are unsure of what you mean by a 6 O'clock hold.
(my grandchildren don't seem to be able to read an analog clock)

How Does the 6 O'Clock Hold Work?

Using as 6 O'clock hold with my 22 pistol for NRA Precision Pistol (Bullseye) I end up with about a 102 yard "zero"
with the bullet about 2.5" high at 25 yards and 4 inches high at 50 yards with no change in the rear sight elevation.

great read
i go one further or first as it is before i ever hit the range
i have bore sight lasers and i sight in the scope at 100 yards on the rifle and 25 feet on the pistols
this way i know when i get to the range and the wiggles set in or i breathe wrong or the holder is not perfect
i at least started at a zero, knowing the scope pic and sight pic were at the right spot to start with
saves me much time and bullets

I zero my defensive handguns at 50 yards, figgering the mid-range trajectory can't be more than 2-3 inches high anywhere out to there. I zero my .22 rifles at 50 yards, and know that the drop at 100 yards will be somewhere around 6 to 7 inches (from actual shooting experience). I have a couple very accurate .22 rifles that I zero at 100 and know that they'll hit about 3 inches high at 50 (again, from actual experience).

I do demand that all my stuff be dead-on for windage at whatever range, zeroed on as windless a day as I can get.

I scanned the article fairly quickly and didn't notice any mention of sight height above bore. This can be a significant factor with stuff like scopes mounted on the carry handles of early ARs, and on M14 variants.

i left out the adjustment in the field for over 100 is easier for me imo as the scope settings are such that each click is set up for the 100 yard zero

i really like the dial to adjust focus and it corresponds to range to target and that helps me
i generally have a rule in the woods no shot over 100 yards, unless i can see well past 200 or farther. but the woods we are in, even 100 yards is pushing it as far as vision of whats out there. even at the hog place our point of aim ends at a steep hill climb about 200 yards past our feeder, so i know the bullet will hit a hard stop.

Back