testtest

Small of Back Carry

Guess there’s something wrong w/ me - generally that’s the only way I carry !! Carry Sig 229 40/357sig in a LH Bladetech kydex jhook belt attach. HK USP 40 leather Milt Sparks summer special. Colt LW Commander in Galco IWB is uncomfortable SOB so that is at 7:30-8 o’clock sometimes 9. Browning BDM 9mm in newer Bladetech IWB w/ belt loops.

Have had 2 rotator/labrum left shoulder surgeries in ‘13 & ‘17 but have never had trouble even now getting thru & to my back to draw. (if it wasn’t clear, I’m a lefty shooter). It’s not as quick a draw as OWB sure, but I’m good w/ my method of carry.
As far as falling on my back, sure it’s gonna hurt if you fall flat w/ a gun at 6 o’clock - been doing Judo on & off for nearly 20 yrs, same w/ BJJ. I’m rolling &/or turning in the direction of my fall without consciously thinking of it from ingrained muscle memory. I can do a backwards shoulder roll & end up in a crouch - not as smoothly or easily as I did 5 yrs but still keepmyself from getting hurt or comprimised & laying there stunned & dazed.
Because of that, I tend to crank the retention screws tight so my gun doesn’t get left behind when I have to get ‘acrobatic’. Don’t ask how I know.
It’s what seems to conceal best 4 me compared to strong side hip or cross draw. I also have a leatherman wave, Nitecore MH25s eyeblinder light & a Cold Steel Kobun serrated edge tanto blade in a kydex sheath that clips to even shorts that is on my belt or waist. It’s what’s comfortable & makes sense to me & how I dress.
Hope all that helps address the question originally posed.

So if you move a strong hand IWB around to SOB, how you gonna draw ? Opposite hand ?
I'm not that big around. I just reach back a little further. I don't have a whole lot of real estate on my equator.
small of back carry.JPG

Young impressions last a long time. I can't see or hear of SOB carry without thinking of every "office girl" on The Man from UNCLE, circa 1965-66. Apparently that was standard UNCLE gear for the ladies. (Sorry, these are the best pics I could find.)
I found a better pic. And also ended up going down a rabbit hole of someone who has just WAY too much time to devote to an arcane/trivial subject. You think YOU'RE OCD about something? Please. You're the poster child for Mental Health. :oops:

At a place like UNCLE, even manning reception was an important security job, and a gun holster worn at the small of the back was a standard part of the uniform.

1711203415838.png

So if you move a strong hand IWB around to SOB, how you gonna draw ? Opposite hand ?
Same hand, just adjust the clip to cant towards your strong hand. I use a kydex R/H IWB at 6:00. I reach back just as easy as grabbing for my wallet. Plus it doesn't reveal when I'm reaching in my front pocket for keys or change or anything and it leaves my pigsticker accessible in my pocket. No competing for space.

There's absolutely nothing "wrong w/you." "To each their own." Carry however you wish. Just don't be delusional in thinking judo classes or tumbling exercises will totally shield you from potential vertebrae injury.
Oh, you’re absolutely right I’m delusional,… just not about thinking I’ll never jack up my vertebrae. The judo just gives a better chance to mitigate injury as well as redirect the force when it gets up close & ugly. I am fine w/ my decision to carry SOB despite the apparently overall dislike many show; the draw motion is just more twist w/ ur upper body & I’m not trying to outdraw anyone or convince anyone- it works well for me- issues w/ it? sucks to be you. My confidence w/ my defensive CQ skills, MT hands or not, has proven effective & thats all I’ll say on that.
I adapted an old leather IWB for occasional appendix carry, depending on the event & pants - plus I forgot about my all steel 32 acp Autauga Arms MK II pocket pistol in a Desantis Gunhide pocket holster. Got that when Seecamps were impossible to get at any LGS, researched it, & now it is happy eating a steady diet of Winchester Silvertips. Front or back pockets, it looks like a wallet. Reaching 4 it looks innocent enough if my hand isn’t on it already.
All that was to say, having other tools to problem solve will make for better results. If ur only tool is a hammer, everything becomes a nail. BUT you also better be good using every tool or you ARE delusional & dangerously kidding yourself !! Just my 2 centavos ..

Back