testtest

Smith and Wesson CSX – Is it Really the New Chief’s Special?

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Can the new S&W CSX be the new chiefs special, good article about this pistol. Some talk about the trigger reset, but I have no input on this since I haven’t handled one yet, looks to be a good gun.

I have nothing against the CSX, but I fail to see how the gun is the next generation of the Chief's Special. The Chief's Special was a small, 5-shot .38 Special revolver. IMO the next generation of the Chief's Special would be the S&W 637/638/642/442 line of Airweight J-frames.

Is it the new Chiefs special, no, it's not. Just like the new Bodyguard is not the Bodyguard. Both of the originals have a long and storied history. And both work just as well today as they ever have, and if sales are any indicator a lot of people still use and trust thier lives to them.

The CSx seems like a nice pistol and should be worthy of carry. No matter what the Csx is, its not the Chiefs special until the Chief is dropped it still is the Chief.

Just an opinion.

Sooooo tired of Micro and subcompact.
Not a fan. At all.
Cant you tell.
Lipstick on a pig
I have to admit I was dubious about them. Until I bought the P365Xl and now, even though still not sure about the lack of hammer, I think it could really be be very easy to use as a do it all defensive pistol. It is as easy to shoot as any larger pistol I have shot, it has ecellant accuracy out to 30 yards the furthest I have shot it. Magazine capacity is good.

It's the best compromise of size and capability I have found. This was my first target with it moving between 5 and 30 yards. I was ok with it. Except I was shooting it left.

20211202_101454.jpg

I have to admit I was dubious about them. Until I bought the P365Xl and now, even though still not sure about the lack of hammer, I think it could really be be very easy to use as a do it all defensive pistol. It is as easy to shoot as any larger pistol I have shot, it has ecellant accuracy out to 30 yards the furthest I have shot it. Magazine capacity is good.

It's the best compromise of size and capability I have found. This was my first target with it moving between 5 and 30 yards. I was ok with it. Except I was shooting it left.

View attachment 27487
I’ve fired about 6 different guns in the category.
Just dont like the size and snap
Not for me.
Hellcat and P365 are well made guns.
Still cannot stand them

View attachment 27487
actually, that target is upside down, look closer...

you were shooting to the right, (just turn the target rightside up)

actually, that target is upside down, look closer...

you were shooting to the right, (just turn the target rightside up)
Nice catch but no, I placed the target upside down accidently. I quite often shoot left with a new handgun because I am left eye dominant and shoot strong hand right handed as I was taught. I have to find out how much to tilt my head for the firearm. If you look at pictures of Jeff Cooper shooting you will notice him doing the same thing with some handguns because he was the same.

Someone else made a similar analogy. I wouldn't have made that comparison, but that's just me. I won't be able to test mine again until next week and I hope to have better results.
On paper, the CSX has a lot going for it. The slide lock is too tough to use to chamber a round and you need to slingshot the slide. The good news is there are ears on the rear of the slide to make it easier to grip. I don't like using a punch to disassemble, but maybe I'll get used to it. The spacer on the extended mag is loose and moves around if not installed. I may put a dab of silicone on it to keep it in place.

I have nothing against the CSX, but I fail to see how the gun is the next generation of the Chief's Special. The Chief's Special was a small, 5-shot .38 Special revolver. IMO the next generation of the Chief's Special would be the S&W 637/638/642/442 line of Airweight J-frames.
Those all came out at pretty much the same time; there were pre-Model 42 “Airweight Centennials” in the early 1950’s, as well as “Chief’s Special Airweights”—aka, a pre-Model 37…and the “Bodyguard” as the Model 38 was originally known as was around then, too.

Additionally, S&W released a 3rd Gen subcompact auto “Chief’s Special” —the CS9, CS40, and CS45–in 9mm, .40, and .45, respectively, so…this is really building off that legacy, if you will.

A8B38126-9F32-4E67-8D1E-EDA1CF516AA7.gif

Those all came out at pretty much the same time; there were pre-Model 42 “Airweight Centennials” in the early 1950’s, as well as “Chief’s Special Airweights”—aka, a pre-Model 37…and the “Bodyguard” as the Model 38 was originally known as was around then, too.

Additionally, S&W released a 3rd Gen subcompact auto “Chief’s Special” —the CS9, CS40, and CS45–in 9mm, .40, and .45, respectively, so…this is really building off that legacy, if you will.

View attachment 27495
I plum forgot about this pistol, completely……lol

I have the CSX and I love it. Like mentioned earlier here the only drawback I have is having to use a small punch for disassembly other than that 100 percent reliable, very small for concealed carry and for its size more than accurate for me actually makes me look like a better shooter although I still carry and love my Hellcat.

All steel- weighs 19.5 ounces.. hmm
The reviewer never said how long the barrel is, 3" I suppose. You need a punch to knockout the slide release.. <Quiet Boo> Seems like a nice gun but I have resistance to S&W semi autos from way back. I have one now that I took in a trade, it works but it needs to be kept wet.
It's good to see hammer fired pistols still being released, just the same.

View attachment 27495
I had no idea these existed. I always cruise the used gun cases at any gun store I visit, but I've never seen one of these. Were they rare, or did the people who bought them just rarely sell or trade them?

Nice catch but no, I placed the target upside down accidently. I quite often shoot left with a new handgun because I am left eye dominant and shoot strong hand right handed as I was taught. I have to find out how much to tilt my head for the firearm. If you look at pictures of Jeff Cooper shooting you will notice him doing the same thing with some handguns because he was the same.
I’m the same way. I go low left as I sometimes gorilla grip the gun first couple shots

Back