testtest

Smith and Wesson needs to step it up!

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
As some of you know, I had to send my 686 back to Smith and Wesson for some warranty repairs. They replaced the yoke and firing pin. That all got completed on August 30. Since then it's been sitting in shipping for THREE WEEKS! They give me the same song and dance every time I call: it has to go through security before they can send if back. Earlier this week they said someone was going to go find it in shipping and get it out. That didn't happen. I didn't have this issue with Springfield; they had it in Fed Ex good and fast. A part of me things Smith and Wesson lost my revolver and doesn't know what to do about it. A week I can understand, maybe even 10 days given how busy the industry is right now, but three weeks is excessive by any measure.

As some of you know, I had to send my 686 back to Smith and Wesson for some warranty repairs. They replaced the yoke and firing pin. That all got completed on August 30. Since then it's been sitting in shipping for THREE WEEKS! They give me the same song and dance every time I call: it has to go through security before they can send if back. Earlier this week they said someone was going to go find it in shipping and get it out. That didn't happen. I didn't have this issue with Springfield; they had it in Fed Ex good and fast. A part of me things Smith and Wesson lost my revolver and doesn't know what to do about it. A week I can understand, maybe even 10 days given how busy the industry is right now, but three weeks is excessive by any measure.
Sorry to hear this, but I did let you know how they handled my issue years back, was hoping they got better, but after reading your post, I see they didn’t. Hope you get it back soon and it’s repaired.

That sucks . I hope this gets resolved soon. The only time I have ever had to send a firearm back was when the trigger safety broke on my XDs . 45. Took a week and a half from time it was sent to time I had it back in my hands.

There is no reason it should be sitting in shipping for 3 weeks after being fixed. That does make one wonder if they lost it.

I have only one instance where I had to send a handgun back to the manufacturer. This was a voluntary recall of my Ruger American Compact pistol slide assembly, and it was returned to me 10 days after I dropped it in the mail.

Update: I only sent the slide in for the recall, not the entire firearm.

Last edited:
I'm going on three and a half months since I sent it in for repair. This does not make me a happy customer.
In some ways seems like yesterday when you sent it in. But, has been awhile. Would think they'd want to ship it out asap for a variety of reasons? You may want to contact someone further up the ladder? Even under circumstances the wait sounds excessive. If they lost or misplaced it, they may send you a replacement if possible? Am hoping they express your original back in great condition soon.

Oh damn we had a S&W bodyguard in the store that was brand new with a cracked slide. We sent it back back In Feb, we just got it back last week. Not even a free sticker.
I feel like Smith and Wesson and I are going to tussle if it goes like that. I'm not sure what I could do but I'd find something. The repair is already done, they're just taking their sweet time shipping it back.

Ok that’s just not right, I would hope they didn’t lose it or send it to someone else accidentally but it does seem that they don’t know what their doing. Sad.

Son gave me a T/C Contender .44 Mag barrel made for shot cartridges with a removeable choke. Put it on my T/C Contender frame and could not open it . Sent it to S&W as they now own T/C. Sent it back to me fixed in about three weeks. Turns out it was for old frames and had to be fixed to work with new frames.
No charge which I thought was great. Sounds like things have changed there not necessarily for the better.

My Shield 9MM came with the front side off, as in not put on correctly. My fault for not noticing it. The gun I handled at the counter was fine. He went out back and got a new one. Opened it right in front of me. What could be wrong with a brand new one, right? I thought I shouldn't have to fix a brand new gun (albeit just the front site) so I sent it back. Another dumb idea. 8 weeks of listening to their BS excuses as to why it was taking so long. Supposedly, it spent 4 weeks in the "revolver dept". They can't tell the difference? Their CS is a joke.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with S&W. I had a similar experience with Taurus. I wasn't too upset about the wait from Taurus because I knew up-front that I was buying a budget gun from a company with questionable customer service. I would not be so forgiving if I had bought a premium product from a manufacturer that markets themselves as having excellent service.

When I got my .45 Shield I thought the strange ratcheting sound it makes when cycling it was abnormal so I sent it to SAW. I got it back less than 2 weeks later with the sight realigned and a note saying the ratcheting sound was normal. They got the sight right too, that gun is a tack driver inside 20 yards.

Back