testtest

So…I did this today

I bought the wife one of them years ago when they kinda first come out, paid 80 bucks for it.
The battery lasted about six months in it and i went online to buy another, battery was 100 bucks so off to dump it went.
yeah, i bought (in the past) for my computer an APU (auxiliary power unit), or back up battery, which frankly, until the power company put a new transformer on the pole, i needed it, due to brown outs in the summer.

ok, price of APU...$175. excellent unit too.

3 years later battery craps out

replacement battery....??

$200....

new APU, on sale....$150.

i can only imagine what battery/electric powered car owners are going to do with the average $10,000 price tag on a new battery, in as little as 10 years for those extremely expensive cars......junk them..?? and lose all that invested purchase money..??

or trade them in about every 5 years or so, and keep paying the money over and over again..??

yeah, i bought (in the past) for my computer an APU (auxiliary power unit), or back up battery, which frankly, until the power company put a new transformer on the pole, i needed it, due to brown outs in the summer.

ok, price of APU...$175. excellent unit too.

3 years later battery craps out

replacement battery....??

$200....

new APU, on sale....$150.

i can only imagine what battery/electric powered car owners are going to do with the average $10,000 price tag on a new battery, in as little as 10 years for those extremely expensive cars......junk them..?? and lose all that invested purchase money..??

or trade them in about every 5 years or so, and keep paying the money over and over again..??
I have a APC battery backup, 3 years old and still fine, I only use this brand, I have used these in the past for well over 5 years with same battery, I usually just replace the whole unit rather then just the battery, but that’s me

I have a APC battery backup, 3 years old and still fine, I only use this brand, I have used these in the past for well over 5 years with same battery, I usually just replace the whole unit rather then just the battery, but that’s me
yeah, at the original price i paid, i'd have thought the battery would have been cheaper.......

when this one goes, that's the end of extra doo-dads.

The thing is, most people don't even think about keeping cars that long anymore. I've brought that exact point up about battery lifespan with multiple people, and that's exactly what they've told me - "I'll be selling the car before it hits that point" (then again, that's increasingly common with non-EV vehicles as well).

Expect that there are going to be a lot of used EV's with shortened battery lifespans on the market in a few years for drastically less money. Who's going to buy a used EV with 3-5 years left on the battery before facing a major expense to replace them, for anything other than a dirt cheap price?

I think the whole culture of flipping vehicles every few years to get something new is weird (and far worse for the environment, if that's something you care about). I'm still driving a 12-year old truck and I plan on driving it into the ground. And you know what? My V8 Ram is having a lot less impact on the planet than the person buying a new EV every few years and smugly looking at my vehicle like I'm the one that's "destroying the planet." 🙄

I got the notification today that my VP9 arrived at my FFL, but by the time I read it, it was too late to travel 30 miles to pick it up. So I decided to modify my Hellcat with the kit that arrived this week. It was a little bit tricky but not hard at all.

Can’t wait to get this baby to the range!

View attachment 49732
That is a very good looking pistol. Good job putting it together...:)

I bought the wife one of them years ago when they kinda first come out, paid 80 bucks for it.
The battery lasted about six months in it and i went online to buy another, battery was 100 bucks so off to dump it went.
We have 3 of them. The oldest was bought in 2017. Had to replace the motor about 4 years in. The motor was $30. All three of them run just fine. We have an understanding. They are my first line of defense against my wife's Alexa's turning the toaster and refrigerator against me. All ours are iRobot.

We have 3 of them. The oldest was bought in 2017. Had to replace the motor about 4 years in. The motor was $30. All three of them run just fine. We have an understanding. They are my first line of defense against my wife's Alexa's turning the toaster and refrigerator against me. All ours are iRobot.
many cats love the Uber ride to the food dish on one of those robotic vacuums....

many cats love the Uber ride to the food dish on one of those robotic vacuums....

IMG_2406.gif

Oh, it's way worse than that. I'm a mechanic by trade. It's costs somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000 to replace the battery in a hybrid. I've seen reports of the battery on fully electric vehicles running between $20,000 and $50,000. I think in the more expensive cases it's because the manufacturer has ceased making the vehicles, thus ceased making batteries for it - so you have to find someone willing to clone the battery as a one-off at big expense. As soon as I heard that I knew for certain these things are not for me.

Oh, it's way worse than that. I'm a mechanic by trade. It's costs somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000 to replace the battery in a hybrid. I've seen reports of the battery on fully electric vehicles running between $20,000 and $50,000. I think in the more expensive cases it's because the manufacturer has ceased making the vehicles, thus ceased making batteries for it - so you have to find someone willing to clone the battery as a one-off at big expense. As soon as I heard that I knew for certain these things are not for me.
one of the few reasons why i got out of the trade...too many updates, recalls, redesigns, tools to buy, and customers always griping about what they have to pay us for the repairs...

trucking was more rewarding, for my time and expertise.

Back