testtest

So You Like Taking Guns Apart?

I’m going to take the 1911 frame apart on my Tisas or one of the RIAs… got a couple springers and my WC now, so I’m not overly concerned if I mess something up on one of the budget models.
Its just for learning…

I can recall the “all thumbs” feeling i had learning to field strip my first one. Recoil spring flying; 20 min and a backache moving kitchen stuff to find the spring plug (oughta just shoot those and forget the ammo. Dang things are deadly!); fiddling with getting the firing pin and plate coordinated into the frame (then taking it back out cause I forgot the extractor - even more fiddly that way).

Ah, well. At least I can take my time on frame lesson :)
that is my thought, on tearing down my Tisas, "just for learning", and maybe for future trigger replacement, etc.

that is my thought, on tearing down my Tisas, "just for learning", and maybe for future trigger replacement, etc.
Yeah, I’d like to replace the ‘soft’ ambi thumb safety in mine with one that ‘clicks’ on & off with more authority… i have the Carry model in .45 stainless.
I fitted an Ed Brown barrel in it, and it seems to be right. Heck, it fires and cycles, and I see no visible damage or excessive wear. But I’ve never entirely understood or found a good explanation for barrel lock up.

There comes a point with every firearm I own, except the ARs, where I am not willing to go any further. That's where I stop.
Yeah... I don't have that. Ive broken a few springs (Sig owners know) had to make a few special tools. But I learn from studying the sub assembly until I can further disassemble.
An old-timer I worked for years back said, "man built it, you can unbuild it and build it again. It's that simple." I have been living by those words ever since.

Yeah... I don't have that. Ive broken a few springs (Sig owners know) had to make a few special tools. But I learn from studying the sub assembly until I can further disassemble.
An old-timer I worked for years back said, "man built it, you can unbuild it and build it again. It's that simple." I have been living by those words ever since.

I respect that and if I was interested in becoming a gunsmith I certainly think I could pull it off with the right tools and training. The fact is though, barring broken parts there really isn't a point in going on after a certain point with regards to cleaning, maintenance or whatever. I enjoy tinkering and modding as much as the next guy, but I am much more concerned with them being reliable and accurate so I can train with them and shoot them.

"An old-timer I worked for years back said, "man built it, you can unbuild it and build it again. It's that simple." I have been living by those words ever since." - Very inspirational and true with the right mindset.

I respect that and if I was interested in becoming a gunsmith I certainly think I could pull it off with the right tools and training. The fact is though, barring broken parts there really isn't a point in going on after a certain point with regards to cleaning, maintenance or whatever. I enjoy tinkering and modding as much as the next guy, but I am much more concerned with them being reliable and accurate so I can train with them and shoot them.

"I enjoy tinkering and modding as much as the next guy, but I am much more concerned with them being reliable and accurate so I can train with them and shoot them." - Agreed, should always be the main goal. But, tinkering's a blast!

if the guys in the linked video, can tear apart a complicated car engine, then you can take apart a simple handgun.

these are are the best of the best, out there, and we could all learn from thier expertise

you can watch the entire video, or start at the 3:30 point, and watch the experts..

"An old-timer I worked for years back said, "man built it, you can unbuild it and build it again. It's that simple." I have been living by those words ever since." - Very inspirational and true with the right mindset.
1640277661705.jpeg

Unless the assembly/disassembly is really simple, I won't tackle it--I'm mechanically declined; even if I manage to put the assembly back together, there's always at least one part that I find later that should have gone inside the assembly.

Word to the wise: Never disassemble anything within four square blocks of shag carpet...and yes, that's the voice of experience talkin'.

A member on here once stated, "If it ain't broke take it apart and see how it works"! I could be off a word or 2? Maybe the poster will come clean!
Unless the assembly/disassembly is really simple, I won't tackle it--I'm mechanically declined; even if I manage to put the assembly back together, there's always at least one part that I find later that should have gone inside the assembly.

Word to the wise: Never disassemble anything within four square blocks of shag carpet...and yes, that's the voice of experience talkin'.
i think that............"if it ain't broke, DON'T take it apart" sounds about right......(but i didn't say that, being a former mechanic, taking things apart is well...a part of the job......it's figurin' how to put it BACK TOGETHER requires 3 stooges ...

i can fully understand anyone's apprehension to take something apart. cuz taking apart is what's the easiest thing to do.

it really is a situational awareness, much like what we need when we are out and about and have our side arm with us, to be aware of the situation around us at all times. observation plays an important part in our daily lives, whether it be for protection, or to recall how to put something back together again.

videos or pictures help here too.

and yes, shag carpets are the bane of many apartment dwellers and homeowners. when the Mrs and i had shag carpeting in our house, decades ago, we found that we had the Munchkins of Oz living in there. they thought the shag carpeting was a jungle, we thought we had crickets.

I have no issues taking things apart if needed since I’m very mechanically minded. When I owned my last motorcycle, 2005 Honda GoldWing it took 1.5 hours to change the air filter, you can’t imagine what had to be removed just to get to it. Let alone every time I did it I found a mouse condo had been built into it.
For me firearms are different, if it’s not broken why would I take it apart to see how it works? If it shoots? It works.

I'm probably not the only member here who has taken a gun apart and prayed to God that I could get it back together without permanently damaging it to the point I'd end up with an expensive paper weight. I've found some .22 cal semi-autos to be worst, and they usually ones that have to be disassembled to be properly cleaned and lubed. As far as most other guns I own, a squirt or two of Ballistol cleans and lubes to the extent I'm happy with.

I have no issues taking things apart if needed since I’m very mechanically minded. When I owned my last motorcycle, 2005 Honda GoldWing it took 1.5 hours to change the air filter, you can’t imagine what had to be removed just to get to it. Let alone every time I did it I found a mouse condo had been built into it.
For me firearms are different, if it’s not broken why would I take it apart to see how it works? If it shoots? It works.
well Harleys are associated with hogs.

you have a unique situation at that.

a leather chaps, jacket, helmet and goggle wearing mouse, as your riding partner.

1640299258718.png
1640299402348.png

Back