testtest

SOG: A Photo History of the Secret Wars

I met a guy a long time ago when I first became a Policeman who was a Sog Warrior Green Beret in Vietnam. He used to carry a few old polaroids of himself and his worn out Beret from those days and he used to always remark how good of shape he was in back then. Wanted to make a career out of it but as he tells it he's seen so much brutality over there he had enough. He would just sit and drink his coffee and never speak much about it but some other patrons who knew him better than I said he is well decorated. That's when I first heard the term 1,000 yard stare and seen it first hand. Now the only thing he shoots is his camera. Great all around guy.

MACV Special Ops Groups were the real deal back in those days. I was a combat photographer with the 1st Infantry Division in '69-'70. The line units I went out with had occasional operations with some of those guys who were on Phoenix Project assignments. Hard times.

Mike

I can't recommend this offering enough. What a great tribute to the members of this highly elite unit. During my Special Operations career I was fortunate to train with all the tier one U.S. military groups and the British SAS which in itself was an honor to have had that opportunity. These guys make Ramboo look like Mary Poppins. I also studied the sniper tactics of John Plaster and Carlos Hathcock when I switched to the sniper team roll. Very solid individuals who provided exceptional real world experience to the Special Operations community. I will be getting this book as I have others about this famed unit. Army,Navy, Air Force and Marines all contributed to this unit and were something very special. If My memory is correct there are still 55 members still MIA. I wish they all could of come home. May god bless them and the remaining MACV-SOG members

When I was in Udorn, Thailand, in Security Police, in 1971, lots of spooky stuff went on in addition to the F4's flying bombing and CAP missions over North Vietnam. Not surprising since Air America was based there, as well as gunships and a number of special mission aircraft. SOG guys would come in from time to time for re-supply and mission briefings and to get some real chow and down time. We did some horse trading from time to time. In one instance, we had trouble getting replacement M2 barrels, and they had trouble getting dog food for their K9's, so we traded 5-gallon cans of dog food and chain link fence for MG barrels. I always admired those guys for their grit. I now live near Hurlburt AFB, HQ for USAF Special Operations Command, and was stationed there for a while. A lot of those Vietnam Era special operators are still around and I never miss an opportunity to engage them in conversation. I am ordering the book, I lived in those times. Maybe I will see someone I know.

MACV Special Ops Groups were the real deal back in those days. I was a combat photographer with the 1st Infantry Division in '69-'70. The line units I went out with had occasional operations with some of those guys who were on Phoenix Project assignments. Hard times.

Mike
Mikeetc, First off thank you for your service. I joined the Marines at the end of Viet Nam so I did not experience that conflict. Your duties must of been hair raising and I bet you have some awesome photos. During my combined 42 year career Military/Law Enforcement I was fortunate enough to train with the best operators in the world. Once the units activities were declassified I really learned a lot about this unit. Some of folks I trained with knew of members from the unit and told me about them. I became aware of John Plaster when I transferred to the sniper position to enhance my skill set. I wish you the very best and welcome home brother. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS……………..FORTIS FORTUNA JUVAT

When I was in Udorn, Thailand, in Security Police, in 1971, lots of spooky stuff went on in addition to the F4's flying bombing and CAP missions over North Vietnam. Not surprising since Air America was based there, as well as gunships and a number of special mission aircraft. SOG guys would come in from time to time for re-supply and mission briefings and to get some real chow and down time. We did some horse trading from time to time. In one instance, we had trouble getting replacement M2 barrels, and they had trouble getting dog food for their K9's, so we traded 5-gallon cans of dog food and chain link fence for MG barrels. I always admired those guys for their grit. I now live near Hurlburt AFB, HQ for USAF Special Operations Command, and was stationed there for a while. A lot of those Vietnam Era special operators are still around and I never miss an opportunity to engage them in conversation. I am ordering the book, I lived in those times. Maybe I will see someone I know.
HayesGreener, I enjoyed your post I like to hear about peoples experiences and I would love to be able to talk with those Air Force Spec Ops guys. No doubt some interesting stories. I wish you the best and welcome home brother. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS…………..FORTIS FORTUNA JUVAT

Mikeetc, First off thank you for your service. I joined the Marines at the end of Viet Nam so I did not experience that conflict. Your duties must of been hair raising and I bet you have some awesome photos. During my combined 42 year career Military/Law Enforcement I was fortunate enough to train with the best operators in the world. Once the units activities were declassified I really learned a lot about this unit. Some of folks I trained with knew of members from the unit and told me about them. I became aware of John Plaster when I transferred to the sniper position to enhance my skill set. I wish you the very best and welcome home brother. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS……………..FORTIS FORTUNA JUVAT
I've you find you have a little time on your hands, click on my signature line. It'll take you over the a motorcycle site where I posted a story about Vietnam and reconnecting with some of the fine people with whom I served.

Mike

I've you find you have a little time on your hands, click on my signature line. It'll take you over the a motorcycle site where I posted a story about Vietnam and reconnecting with some of the fine people with whom I served.

Mike
I read the whole story…
Thanks for your service
God Bless
An amazing act of compassion for all those who touched your life 😍

I did not serve with the eyes. Had hundreds of hours of commercial flight time as a pilot but military wouldn't let me fly.

So I supported a great friends unit during the war in the sand box. Long , long ago.
He asked all for donations of dry goods like summer sausage, etc we could send to his sons unit overseas.
He was in an Army ODA Group.

Well, Im in the liquor biz and asked if I could donate a few cases of high end Macallan 15-30 yr to the unit instead of dry food.
Well, reply came back a few weeks later that he could face court martial … if he didnt figure out a way to get it to the unit 😝
The CO and high brass were huge Macallan fans. A few bottles were needed to ensure safe transit across other services planes to the AO.

Sent 3 cases. Enough for the unit and transport .

Got this is return with a few “trinkets” 😉 of appreciation that went with it.
Like an SAS logo leaded crystal rocks glass from an SAS member training with them.

I still get notes from folks retired when the sit and enjoy a Macallan on their porch
7BE48212-45A5-4195-8060-51AD7B340776.jpeg

I did not serve with the eyes. Had hundreds of hours of commercial flight time as a pilot but military wouldn't let me fly.

So I supported a great friends unit during the war in the sand box. Long , long ago.
He asked all for donations of dry goods like summer sausage, etc we could send to his sons unit overseas.

Well, Im in the liquor biz and asked if I could donate a few cases of high end Macallan 15-30 yr to the unit instead of dry food.
Well, reply came back a few weeks later that he could face court martial … if he didnt figure out a way to get it to the unit 😝
The CO and high brass were huge Macallan fans. A few bottles were needed to ensure safe transit across other services planes to the AO.

Like an SAS logo leaded crystal rocks glass from an SAS member training with them.

I still get notes from folks retired when the sit and enjoy a Macallan on their porchView attachment 31915

That's great!!!!! Those guys will remember that kindness forever! Good on you, sir.

Mke

I still get notes from folks retired when the sit and enjoy a Macallan on their porchView attachment 31915
Killerford1977, I enjoyed your story very nice thing you did as everyone deployed always enjoys receiving care packages like that for sure. I was fortunate to train with U.S.Army SF members and the British SAS with Phil Singleton who was involved in the Iranian Embassy siege in London on April 5 1980. Fantastic warriors I miss those days of running and gunning and of course blowing stuff up. It’s nice that you are still in touch with some of those members. Your post makes me want to have a drink

Mike
Mike I am so humbled and impressed by your service, your masterful work with the camera, and to your lifelong commitment to your brothers in arms. And, There is no greater gesture of respect and comradeship than the gift of weapons between warriors.

Mike I am so humbled and impressed by your service, your masterful work with the camera, and to your lifelong commitment to your brothers in arms. And, There is no greater gesture of respect and comradeship than the gift of weapons between warriors.
HayesGreener, I can’t agree more with your comments. I have the deepest respect for all you Viet Nam veterans who returned home to an ungrateful country and were treated poorly. Mikes contributions are amazing and definitely puts a human element to the story. I joined the Marines after the conflict had ended so I learned about it from marines still serving and my uncles who served several tours of duty. It’s stories like Mike’s that continue to provide information about those times. Thank you to all of you Vets out there who served. With less than 3 percent of our nations population who ever served in the Military we are a special brand of person and something you should be very proud of. Service over self is a quality that not everyone can demonstrate. Joining the Marines was one of the best decisions I made. Allow me to salute all you and it is my sincere hope that all of you have found peace. May God bless all the warriors. Matthew 5:9

Back