testtest

Spare FP questions; EB, Caspian, Other?

Scevaph

Elite
I am looking to put a few parts aside as spares for my Springfield 9mm Ronin 5" I have recoil springs but I believe I'll pick up a spare Firing pin. The Titanium FP in my Ronin has been completely reliable and has a tip dia of 0.063.

Three questions:

One:
I am looking at an Ed Brown #825 (.065 tip) as I can get one pretty reasonably including shipping but I also saw a Caspian (# S1938S ) 9mm / 38S pin for a couple of bucks less; cannot find tip dia listed on Caspian but assume .068. I can dress the diameter down if necessary but won't touch it if not needed.

I know Ed Brown pins are well liked but how do you feel about Caspian pins? Normally I would also look at Wilson but I can get either the EB or Caspian at a good bit lower price.

Recommendation: EB , Caspian or other?

Two:
When I get one should I leave the stock Ti pin (no issues) in or put in the steel pin and use the Stock TI for a spare?

Three: Also looking at an EB Stainless recoil spring plug to replace the blued one in my Ronin ( I like the looks) are they pratty much drop in?

Well; An Ed Brown # 825 pin is coming. I was offered a deal on it I couldn't pass up.

Since I already had a minimal bid on the Caspian pin I may end up with it too but at a little under $11.00 shipped I don't mind having an extra.

Question for those with a lot more experience: Should I go ahead and put a Steel Firing pin into my Ronin or leave it alone unless a problem comes up?

The Stock Ti has worked flawlessly so far even though a pencil test launches the pencil only a foot or two. , I did replace the heavier XXP stock FP Spring with a Wolfe XP one when I changed the recoil spring. Even though it's working I am tempted to put a steel pin into her.

Well; An Ed Brown # 825 pin is coming. I was offered a deal on it I couldn't pass up.

Since I already had a minimal bid on the Caspian pin I may end up with it too but at a little under $11.00 shipped I don't mind having an extra.

Question for those with a lot more experience: Should I go ahead and put a Steel Firing pin into my Ronin or leave it alone unless a problem comes up?

The Stock Ti has worked flawlessly so far even though a pencil test launches the pencil only a foot or two. , I did replace the heavier XXP stock FP Spring with a Wolfe XP one when I changed the recoil spring. Even though it's working I am tempted to put a steel pin into her.
I like to modify a gun as much as the next guy, but as far as I know the full size Ronin has had no issues whatsoever. I’ve owned the 5in 9mm and currently have the 5in .45 and I wouldn’t change anything that didn’t affect performance.

BTW, My 5in prodigy is bone stock - minus a third party recoil rod and spring - and it is a beast, with a 2.5lb trigger pull (measured pulling the trigger gauge very slowly). It goes shot for shot with my SAO P226 Legion, which IMO, is one of the finest non-gamer guns you can buy.

Back