testtest

Spidey senses were tingling

I've said it before, you can't teach somebody to be situationally aware. And IMO it's not something that you can turn on or off.

To me, situational awareness is like a radar detector. Most of the time it's sitting there on your dashboard, doing its thing and you're paying it no mind. Then it picks up a signal and it beeps and it focuses your attention.

Just so you're aware, in a lot of jurisdictions what you are describing would be menacing or brandishing.
It would also very likely be impossible to prove. Unless you think the cops are going to believe some dude in a hoodie in summertime over a regular citizen. And even if they did, they still gotta prove it. Maybe his shirt just rode up a little and the gun became visible for a second, who's to say. While I have never showed a gun as a means to deter a dirtbag, I have on more than one occasion employed the tactic that Michael Corleone had Enzo the baker do in front of the Hospital where Vito was alone and defenseless. That is, stick my hand in my shirt in a very obvious way to imply I had my hand on a gun. It once stopped two hood rats heading for me and turned them around.

It would also very likely be impossible to prove. Unless you think the cops are going to believe some dude in a hoodie in summertime over a regular citizen. And even if they did, they still gotta prove it. Maybe his shirt just rode up a little and the gun became visible for a second, who's to say. While I have never showed a gun as a means to deter a dirtbag, I have on more than one occasion employed the tactic that Michael Corleone had Enzo the baker do in front of the Hospital where Vito was alone and defenseless. That is, stick my hand in my shirt in a very obvious way to imply I had my hand on a gun. It once stopped two hood rats heading for me and turned them around.
But, as an informational he is correct, in some states that could be considered brandishing. Michigan being one. Proving of course is a different matter, but if a police office saw the act it could get you a misdemeanor charge if they wanted to be a Richard.

It would also very likely be impossible to prove.
Depends on how much effort they wanted to put into it.

One of the things that Masaad Ayoob has been saying for years is if you're charged with a Firearms related crime they're going to check your social media.

And that particular poster all but admitted that he deliberately displayed his firearm with the intent of intimidating the two guys (who never did anything to him or even approached him) at the gas station.

The odds are low but not zero.

The primary reason that I made that comment though is because I've seen it happen so many times on various gun forms.

The poster (Not this guy specifically) will go out of their way to state that they displayed their firearm or made sure the bad guys saw it or removed their jacket so the guys could see their gun with the specific intent of making sure that that person knew that they weren't the guy to screw with. Then when somebody calls them on it they deny that's what they did at all.

Last edited:
Of course virtually all of these situations are false alarms. So I commend everyone on their level headedness.

What's the obsession with hoodies though? It's a completely unreliable indicator.
In some quarters the hoodie is a thug uniform item. Along with saggy britches. But not always, some kids wear that stuff because their parents are too clueless to understand what the attire signifies.

We should all read and evangelize a book called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker. He calls it intuition; I call it the Holy Ghost. Same diff.
FB_IMG_1686152456729.jpg

JMO but there's another Book we should be reading and evangelizing for.

As for Gavin, he wrote a good book and it's well worth reading but he's pretty anti-second amendment.

Back