testtest

Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec change grip safety to beavertail

NotAFed

Alpha
I just bought a new Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. I’d like to add a beavertail safety to it without modifying the frame. I’ve read on another forum where this has been done with a Wilson Combat Drop-In Commander Beavertail (after filing the safety). However, this was done on a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec in 2014. Does anyone know whether the frame dimensions on the Mil-Spec have changed in the intervening 8 years?

Here’s the forum post:

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/mil-spec-drop-in-beavertail-options.455028/

The gun in the photos is marked differently than my new Mil-Spec, which makes me wonder if the Mil-Spec has gone through other changes since then.

I just bought a new Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. I’d like to add a beavertail safety to it without modifying the frame. I’ve read on another forum where this has been done with a Wilson Combat Drop-In Commander Beavertail (after filing the safety). However, this was done on a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec in 2014. Does anyone know whether the frame dimensions on the Mil-Spec have changed in the intervening 8 years?

Here’s the forum post:

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/mil-spec-drop-in-beavertail-options.455028/

The gun in the photos is marked differently than my new Mil-Spec, which makes me wonder if the Mil-Spec has gone through other changes since then.
So…

Any modifications to a 1911 involving putting in new parts will almost certainly involve fitting.

Now, some parts *may* be close enough that, depending on the user, fitting may be minimal/unnecessary…

But, you’ll likely be doing some sanding/grinding.

This is the joy of owning a 1911.

So…

Any modifications to a 1911 involving putting in new parts will almost certainly involve fitting.

Now, some parts *may* be close enough that, depending on the user, fitting may be minimal/unnecessary…

But, you’ll likely be doing some sanding/grinding.

This is the joy of owning a 1911.
Years ago when I first started shooting the 1911 an older gentleman at the range told me that when a 1911 part says "drop in' it meant drop in to your gunsmith and have him do it.

If I may ask, since a beaver tail grip safety isn’t really compatible with the standard hammer style on his mil spec, wouldn’t he have to change the hammer also?

In terms of frame, no nothing has changed.

Most beaver tail safeties require reprofiling the frame horns near the grip safety as you know.

IMO the drop in versions tend to a look a little 'off.

Back