testtest

Springfield AR-15 pistol ammo

I guess my question is, "Why 75 grain for home defense?". The velocity is such that you are just increasing the likelihood of over penetration. 62 grain BTHP is more than adequate in my opinion. If you are looking at an AR for home defense, I would consider a pistol caliber AR. Best of both worlds. Maybe Springfield will finally make a PCC AR. Then you would be able use proper home defense rounds in an AR Platform. (Springfield, if you're listening, HINT HINT)

Hornady makes their Critical Defense ammo in a 55 grain, .223. I use the 115 grain, 9mm in my EDC. It's designed for self defense.

Hot Rod...….Thanks for the link ! Right now Ive got Hornady BTHP 75 grain .Now seems like overkill (forgive the pun)
Thanks all for the feedback

I guess my question is, "Why 75 grain for home defense?". The velocity is such that you are just increasing the likelihood of over penetration. 62 grain BTHP is more than adequate in my opinion. If you are looking at an AR for home defense, I would consider a pistol caliber AR. Best of both worlds. Maybe Springfield will finally make a PCC AR. Then you would be able use proper home defense rounds in an AR Platform. (Springfield, if you're listening, HINT HINT)
"On the other hand " regarding the 75 grain 5.56. & over penetraton.If I have 2 or 3 coming in at the same time.I may be lucky enough to stop them all :)

Thanks for your reply.I'm fairly new to the 5.56 round. not sure how the "Saint" AR pistol would handle the 75 grain ammo.Yes,over penetration is a good thought

You'll want to get frangible ammo, this will prevent complications from potential overpenetration. Some choices that were at the top of my impromptu search "5.56 frangible ammunition" were:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...ic-frangible-soft-point-xm556nt1-p-78473.aspx
and https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/prod...3-federal-le-ballisticlean-55gr-rht-frangible

These were quite affordable, especially the Lake City ammo.

Back