testtest

Springfield Armory XD-E 3.8″ Review

I've had mine for almost a year, mine is the 3.3 inch and have fired 2,000 rds through it with no malfunction great little gun. I've added a set of Hogue Grips and Trijicon HD night sights. It's easy to take down and clean. Wish Springfield or another company would develop a short reset trigger kit and a straight trigger for it. Like I've got on my Sig P220, makes that first shot DA a lot easier

Attachments

• 20210123_132739.jpg
    20210123_132739.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 243
I recently (6 months) purchased a XD-E 3.3". Love it. Easy to rack with my old arthritic hands, runs like a dream, and I have absolutely no complaints. I'm thinking of adding a reflex sight, similar to the one on my old Glock. My question is: are all of the dovetail sights on the XD series the same size? I can find information on most of the XD series reflex sights, but nothing specifically mentions the XD-E. I don't want to go through the purchase, try, return, look again routine.

I carry a 1911 Officer model in 9MM. I'm a bit confused about the safety/decocker on the XDE. Here is my question. Empty gun, insert loaded magazine, rack slide, hammer is cocked, put safety in the up position which allows "cocked and locked" carry. But if I de-cock the hammer by pushing the safety/decock lever down I now have a double action gun. Can I then push the decock into the up position and have a safety with the double action mode? In order to fire I would have to push the safety/decock down. Correct?

I carry a 1911 Officer model in 9MM. I'm a bit confused about the safety/decocker on the XDE. Here is my question. Empty gun, insert loaded magazine, rack slide, hammer is cocked, put safety in the up position which allows "cocked and locked" carry. But if I de-cock the hammer by pushing the safety/decock lever down I now have a double action gun. Can I then push the decock into the up position and have a safety with the double action mode? In order to fire I would have to push the safety/decock down. Correct?
I believe this gun operates the same as the M9/Beretta Model 92.

The safety works as you said, however you do not need to place the safety up when it is in double action mode. It is optional at that time the feeling being that the long heavier trigger pull of double action isn't going to have a negligent discharge since you have a 11 +- trigger pull to shoot double action first. Using the safety in the DA mode does add another safety however, so if that is something you would want you can do it.

My wish if after the next 4 years we still have a constitution and a free government that they would make a 45 acp with a 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel. An extended magazine that would hold at least 8 45acp or 10 9mm would be very nice too.

Does anybody have first hand experience with this gun to be able to confirm my description of how I believe it would work?
I've shot the XDe but not the 92 so what I said above it correct. If you have decocked the gun then put the gun on safe with the safety lever taking it off safety would give you a gun in double action mode.

I love my collection of Springfield XD Mod.2, XDS Mod.2, and XDM Elite firearms. I've read great things about the XDE line and am certain that they are high-quality pistols. I'm in the camp that loves the XD grip safety because it prevents negligent discharges while carrying the weapon (a huge plus for those of us who carry appendix), but deactivates naturally when I draw the pistol without requiring the manipulation of an external frame or slide mounted safety. I have considered the XDE's in the past, but I just don't know if they could fill any role better than my other Springfields. I may come around someday, but I'm pretty sure that my first hammer-fired Springfield will be one of their many 1911's.

This is probably my most favorite offering from SA, in terms of handguns. I like DA/SA be it revolvers or autos. CZ or Beretta, which some variants of those models are Decocker only. I don’t one an XD-E, yet but have fondled one and a friend of mine has one and speaks highly of it.

Does anybody have first hand experience with this gun to be able to confirm my description of how I believe it would work?
The XDE has the exact same safety system as a HK USP V1 (or the HK45 V1’s).

Charge pistol, hammer is back. You can now place the safety in the up position (if it isn’t already—unlike a 1911, you can work the slide with the safety engaged) for safe, and carry “Condition 1”—single action. Press it down to fire, just like a 1911. Press it down hard past fire, and you actuate the decocker, dropping the hammer and is now double action. You can also press the safety up, and it is DA with a thumb safety.

My wish if after the next 4 years we still have a constitution and a free government that they would make a 45 acp with a 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel. An extended magazine that would hold at least 8 45acp or 10 9mm would be very nice too.

Get a HK USP (12 rds) or HK 45 (10rds). 4.5” barrels standard.

Compact models each hold 8 rounds with, iirc, 3.8” barrels. Optional 10rd extended magazines (“elephant foot”) available.

The XDE has the exact same safety system as a HK USP V1 (or the HK45 V1’s).

Charge pistol, hammer is back. You can now place the safety in the up position (if it isn’t already—unlike a 1911, you can work the slide with the safety engaged) for safe, and carry “Condition 1”—single action. Press it down to fire, just like a 1911. Press it down hard past fire, and you actuate the decocker, dropping the hammer and is now double action. You can also press the safety up, and it is DA with a thumb safety.
Thanks, this begins to answer my question. So the "safety/decocker" has two positions. Down allows it to fire and past fire position, decocks the hammer. Wonderful! So under stress if you intend to place the gun with a cocked hammer in the fire position by lowering the safety/decocker to the fire position and you push it too far you have now rendered the pistol a double action first shot gun. OK, now I know I'll stick to my 1911's. Pick up the gun which deactivates the grip safety, move safety down to off, shoot gun. Four safeties, all intuitive. Grip safety, thumb safety, trigger, brain.

Thanks, this begins to answer my question. So the "safety/decocker" has two positions. Down allows it to fire and past fire position, decocks the hammer. Wonderful! So under stress if you intend to place the gun with a cocked hammer in the fire position by lowering the safety/decocker to the fire position and you push it too far you have now rendered the pistol a double action first shot gun. OK, now I know I'll stick to my 1911's. Pick up the gun which deactivates the grip safety, move safety down to off, shoot gun. Four safeties, all intuitive. Grip safety, thumb safety, trigger, brain.
You really have to push fairly hard past the positive detente to hit the decocker.

While this wouldn’t be impossible under stress, I can’t say I’ve ever done it with any of my USP’s, even when running it hard in classes.

Get a HK USP (12 rds) or HK 45 (10rds). 4.5” barrels standard.

Compact models each hold 8 rounds with, iirc, 3.8” barrels. Optional 10rd extended magazines (“elephant foot”) available.
I've fired a USP and HK45 while I like H&K guns I really hate paying 50+dollars for a magazine. Besides an XDe with a 4 inch or 3.8 inch barrel is more of a compact gun.

Back