testtest

Springfield Armory XD Tactical Model .45 ACP Review

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Springfield Armory XD Tactical Model .45 ACP Review" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-armory-xd-tactical-model-45-acp-review/.

I bought my first Springfield 5” tactical model in 2009. I loved everything about this handgun and it comes down to everything you said. Mine however, came with one CA. Compliant 10 round magazine and two 13 round magazines as I live in New Mexico. I have been so hooked on the XD model line, I also have the XDM sub-compact in the .40 S&W, and the XDS model in 9mm. I am satisfied with every one of the models. Accurate and dependable for all. These are great weapons that have no need for improvement. (“if it ain't broke don’t fix it“). Thanks for this review. And thank you to Springfield for making quality weapons.

When they came out with the .45 XD Tactical For Dummies model I bought one. You can tell it's the For Dummies model because it tells you where to grip the pistol. :D It is one of my favorite pistols.

IMG_0786_1.jpg

Why did SA discontinue their XD-M .45ACP model?
Never shot the XD...
When XD-M came around, compared the two on paper and in photos, and went with the XD-M simply because of better ergonomics and later design, which appears to be the only difference.

I love my XD-M .45 ACP 4.5", but I had to get one lightly used because they have been discontinued. No big deal, great firearm.

I looked at the SA website, I do not see any XD mod.2 that are not compact. Yet the photo above appears to be full sized. Did they discontinue XD mod.2 models as well?

Why did SA discontinue their XD-M .45ACP model?
Never shot the XD...
When XD-M came around, compared the two on paper and in photos, and went with the XD-M simply because of better ergonomics and later design, which appears to be the only difference.

I love my XD-M .45 ACP 4.5", but I had to get one lightly used because they have been discontinued. No big deal, great firearm.

I looked at the SA website, I do not see any XD mod.2 that are not compact. Yet the photo above appears to be full sized. Did they discontinue XD mod.2 models as well?
Yes. My XD Mod 2 full sized "Service model" in now unobtanium.

I have a 4" XD Mod 2 in .45 ACP. It's a fine pistol.

What makes this one "Tactical" ?
Yea, now a days, that usually means accessories rail provisions, threaded barrel, some tactical color other than black and provisions for red dot sight. Which does not necessarily makes a pistol more tactical....

Looking at the photo, there is a small rail on the dust cover, so subtle its easy to miss? Could that be it?

Yes. My XD Mod 2 full sized "Service model" in now unobtanium.
Maryland having the 10 rnd magazine law (that is different than most 10rnd magazine laws) has made the last of the XD-M .45ACP unobtanium. That is why I had to go used. There are still new old stock XD-M .45 ACP's out there. But I can't get them to send them to my FFL simply because they don't understand the state's law.

Just checked the SA website, all the XD models have that subtle rail on the dust cover.....

So where back to, what makes this on "tactical"?

Yea, now a days, that usually means accessories rail provisions, threaded barrel, some tactical color other than black and provisions for red dot sight. Which does not necessarily makes a pistol more tactical....

Looking at the photo, there is a small rail on the dust cover, so subtle its easy to miss? Could that be it?
Mine has a rail under it. This one has none of the features that usually go along with "Tactical" models that I can see. No threaded barrel. I guess it's just because it's an inch longer.

Mine has a rail under it. This one has none of the features that usually go along with "Tactical" models that I can see. No threaded barrel. I guess it's just because it's an inch longer.
Actually only a 1/2" longer than the XD-M, and I think there was even a 5" model in the XD-M as well, that was also discontinued.

But, I think Talyn is right, just marketing...

SA keeps the original XD line going because it's the only line that's California approved.
So correct me if I'm wrong, when I looked before buying the XD-M, the only difference between XD and XD-M is XD-M looks cooler and the grip has more purchase and fits most people's hand better. Basically there is no reason to get the XD, if there was a corresponding XD-M Model, unless you are in California, or you like your pistols uglier and harder to hold.

Actually only a 1/2" longer than the XD-M, and I think there was even a 5" model in the XD-M as well, that was also discontinued.

But, I think Talyn is right, just marketing...

So correct me if I'm wrong, when I looked before buying the XD-M, the only difference between XD and XD-M is XD-M looks cooler and the grip has more purchase and fits most people's hand better. Basically there is no reason to get the XD, if there was a corresponding XD-M Model, unless you are in California, or you like your pistols uglier and harder to hold.
The XDm line is an evolution of the original XD line with tangible improvements.

It costs alot of $$ to get a handgun evaluated for CA list & CA is reducing their list in order to choke off "approved" models. So, manufacturers have to decide if is worth it. Many don't bother.

The XDm line is an evolution of the original XD line with tangible improvements.

It costs alot of $$ to get a handgun evaluated for CA list & CA is reducing their list in order to choke off "approved" models. So, manufacturers have to decide if is worth it. Many don't bother.
My son is active duty in California, from discussions and a little reading.... ...it appears to be very much a game of exploiting the beuruecracy as a weapon to be as aggressive against gun ownership as possible, since all their other measures are unconstitutional. All under the guise of Safety, although demonstrably nothing to do with safety as they don't ban arguably less safe firearms as they keep arguably safer firearms banned in the state....

But hey, at least all the state employee's are exempt, no not L.E. all state employee's can own banned guns including secretary's and clerks... ...but not active duty military....

SA still markets the 5.25" XDm in 9mm, but while they have the 4.5" XDm in 10mm the 5.25 version (which I prefer) has gone away for some stupid reason. Wish they'd bring it back since the 4.5" is 85% of the way there with only a slightly longer slide & barrel.

SA still markets the 5.25" XDm in 9mm, but while they have the 4.5" XDm in 10mm the 5.25 version (which I prefer) has gone away for some stupid reason. Wish they'd bring it back since the 4.5" is 85% of the way there with only a slightly longer slide & barrel.
I don't own a Glock, but I don't hate Glocks, and will readily acknowledge they are a good pistol for lots of reasons.
Why, well besides the deliberately avoiding the pitfalls of falling into becoming a Fan Boi or Hater, I simply do not like how a glock looks, as well as a few other feature, so while facing a choice of several pistols to buy, the glock simply loses out cause it appeals to me less.

So a possible reason, for me looking at the 4.5" XD-M versions vs the 5" or 5.25" versions of XD-M's, the 4.5" version appeals to me more simply on the way it looks. Yep, the wrong reason for choosing a pistol.

I'm sure SA looks at a comprehensive cost vs benefit of their line up, if a model isn't selling well enough to justify the cost of making it available with the others (so its not as simple as sell enough to cover the overhead costs, its more manage the lineup to sell the most of the entire lineup) they'll discontinue it. And sadly, because of the choices of buyers, that make illogical choices, the discontinued models illogically.

I often wondered why SA kept he XD line at all, till you explained about California.

I'm sure SA looks at a comprehensive cost vs benefit of their line up, if a model isn't selling well enough to justify the cost of making it available with the others (so its not as simple as sell enough to cover the overhead costs, its more manage the lineup to sell the most of the entire lineup) they'll discontinue it. And sadly, because of the choices of buyers, that make illogical choices, the discontinued models illogically.

I often wondered why SA kept he XD line at all, till you explained about California.
Yea, SA does some weird things regarding their product line.

With very minor changes they rename existing 1911 models making it seem that they're releasing an entirely new model. It's a very "Glock" thing to do.

IMO, they sold every one of the 10mm XDm 5.25 models they made. Long-slide Glock 10mm's and the XDm 5.25 are popular in the west & Alaska for the obvious reasons.

A SA rep once told me they got almost all the requests for a 10mm XDm version from 8 states, the majority being western ones.

IMO, they should get the Croatians to make a small run of them each year, like other companies do, to meet the "niche" demand. But the 4.5 version likely appeals to the other parts of the country due to its shorter overall length.

I would like to get another 5.25 XDm 10mm in the Elite model if SA would just offer a limited run of them.

My .02

Back