Springfield Armory

My current Springfield Armory inventory includes:
XD.Mod2 3.3" bbl .45
XDE 3.3" bbl .45
XDS 3.3" bbl .45
XD(M) 5.25" bbl 10mm
TRP 1911 .45 & 10mm (6" bbl)
1911 Range Officer .45
M1a (National Match but w/o National Match sights)
AR15 Saint 1st generation
Hellcat (non OSP, which in hinesight I should have purchased)
Does my 1941 M1 Garand also count?

I have but one Springfield Armory pistol, a 911. My original intent behind the purchase was to have a compact 380ACP that my wife could shoot, and potentially carry. That all went out the window when we went out to shoot it for the first time. Failure to feed. Fine, change ammo. Failure to feed. Okay, try something else...failure to feed. We were able to shoot exactly zero rounds that day. I only paid $25 to receive it at my FFL, but now I get to pay another $25 to send it back to Springfield Armory for warranty work.
Two weeks later the pistol is back at my FFL with a re-cut and polished chamber. But checking it out at the FFL, something doesn’t feel right when racking it. In fact, it keeps locking open, and the slide won’t release. A quick disassembly reveals that the slide stop spring is missing. Marvelous...how did the plant miss this? FFL ordered a new spring, but he had tremendous trouble putting it in. But he did...as long as the slide is in place everything is fine. Pistol shoots every bit as nicely as I’d hoped. But, take off the slide and the slide stop spring shoots out. I have to be extremely careful to only do so in a well lit, uncarpeted room, or I’ll never see that spring again.
I ordered 5 new springs as insurance against the inevitable, but they don’t fit. When I do get one in place it exhibits the same issues as when the spring is not there...and also pops out of position (but stays in the pistol) when I pull the slide off.
I really wanted to love this pistol...but I wouldn’t trust my life to it.

Why not trade it for maybe an xds? They’re relatively inexpensive ... you might find one on armslist, etc for about $300-$350 and probably a much better experience. Sorry it’s been so rough for you.

Last edited:
I have but one Springfield Armory pistol, a 911. My original intent behind the purchase was to have a compact 380ACP that my wife could shoot, and potentially carry. That all went out the window when we went out to shoot it for the first time. Failure to feed. Fine, change ammo. Failure to feed. Okay, try something else...failure to feed. We were able to shoot exactly zero rounds that day. I only paid $25 to receive it at my FFL, but now I get to pay another $25 to send it back to Springfield Armory for warranty work.
Two weeks later the pistol is back at my FFL with a re-cut and polished chamber. But checking it out at the FFL, something doesn’t feel right when racking it. In fact, it keeps locking open, and the slide won’t release. A quick disassembly reveals that the slide stop spring is missing. Marvelous...how did the plant miss this? FFL ordered a new spring, but he had tremendous trouble putting it in. But he did...as long as the slide is in place everything is fine. Pistol shoots every bit as nicely as I’d hoped. But, take off the slide and the slide stop spring shoots out. I have to be extremely careful to only do so in a well lit, uncarpeted room, or I’ll never see that spring again.
I ordered 5 new springs as insurance against the inevitable, but they don’t fit. When I do get one in place it exhibits the same issues as when the spring is not there...and also pops out of position (but stays in the pistol) when I pull the slide off.
I really wanted to love this pistol...but I wouldn’t trust my life to it.
Boy, sorry to hear about all your troubles with this pistol. As other posters responded, you should call Springfield Armory and expalin the issues (including having to send it back once at your cost) and ask them for a prepaid label to ship it back to them for repair. I used FedEx when sending all 4 of my Sig Sauer P320's back for their "Voluntary Update Program" (they refused to call it a recall for thier drop fire issue and trigger and slide modifications). They sent me the prepaid labels with instructions on what to include with the pistols, and I went to a FedEx shipping location and dropped them off. FedEx returned delivery to my door (signature required) after Sig completed thier modifications. Also as another poster responded, you could consider other pistols (I believe SA XDS was mentioned), or a pistol like Smith & Wessons 380EZ (gets good reviews) or their recently new announced 9mm EZ which claims to exhibit easy racking and low recoil like the 380EZ. I'm sure if you inform Springfield you are considering other alternate pistols (especially from another brand company), they'll do their best to repair your 911 and keep you a happy costumer. Whatever you may do, good luck with this issue.

I recently purchased my first 2 firearms from Springfield. The first was a Springfield Saint Victor in 5.56. I just added a Leupold Freedom RDS. The second is the Saint Victor pistol which I added a AT3 RDS and replaced the stock brace with on from Maxim. It is the same brace that comes on the Saint Edge.

Last edited:
I'd go through withdrawals if I haven't fired my firearms within 24 hours
I will be shooting it soon. like I said before in here im just getting in to AR . Im from PA and they just became somewhat legal for hunting. Coyote . I more of a handgun guy. Can't wait to shoot my new saint victor need to put a red dot on it any info on a good one would be very helpful

Question, can’t you just send it back to Springfield yourself, factory usually pays for you to ship it to them and then back to you, in Ohio, you don’t have to go through a FFL to send a gun back for warranty work, you do it yourself.
Proving the value of this forum right from the get go! This is the first I’ve heard of the capability of self-service for a firearm. I actually flew out to Pahrump, NV in 2018 to get warranty service on my Rock Island Armory Baby Rock. I didn’t know I could bypass the FFL.
I appreciate the feedback and I’ll certainly be looking into it. Thanks.

Why not trade it for maybe an xds? They’re relatively inexpensive ... you might find one on armslist, etc for about $300-$350 and probably a much better experience. Sorry it’s been so rough for you.
I really love the looks of the 911, and I also love how it shoots now. I feed everything through it...I just need extra care when field stripping. I’m going to try the self-service approach mentioned by Annihilator and see how that works out. On another note, I’d hate to just transfer my problem to someone else.

Boy, sorry to hear about all your troubles with this pistol. As other posters responded, you should call Springfield Armory and expalin the issues (including having to send it back once at your cost) and ask them for a prepaid label to ship it back to them for repair. I used FedEx when sending all 4 of my Sig Sauer P320's back for their "Voluntary Update Program" (they refused to call it a recall for thier drop fire issue and trigger and slide modifications). They sent me the prepaid labels with instructions on what to include with the pistols, and I went to a FedEx shipping location and dropped them off. FedEx returned delivery to my door (signature required) after Sig completed thier modifications. Also as another poster responded, you could consider other pistols (I believe SA XDS was mentioned), or a pistol like Smith & Wessons 380EZ (gets good reviews) or their recently new announced 9mm EZ which claims to exhibit easy racking and low recoil like the 380EZ. I'm sure if you inform Springfield you are considering other alternate pistols (especially from another brand company), they'll do their best to repair your 911 and keep you a happy costumer. Whatever you may do, good luck with this issue.
Good suggestions and comments. Can you believe I bought the Springfield 911 over the S&W 380EZ? And I’m a Smith & Wesson (now American Outdoors Brands) stockholder. I’m still considering the 380EZ, as well as the Hellcat and the 9mm EZ. But since I’ve picked up 2 Kimber Micro 380s in 38 days (just got the 2nd one, Stainless w Rosewood today), my wife said no more guns until after our Disney World trip in May.

Good suggestions and comments. Can you believe I bought the Springfield 911 over the S&W 380EZ? And I’m a Smith & Wesson (now American Outdoors Brands) stockholder. I’m still considering the 380EZ, as well as the Hellcat and the 9mm EZ. But since I’ve picked up 2 Kimber Micro 380s in 38 days (just got the 2nd one, Stainless w Rosewood today), my wife said no more guns until after our Disney World trip in May.
I hear you brother. I don’t answer to a wife, but my savings account sure isn’t happy. :( But I just can’t stop buying when they keep coming out with these new guns. Springfield’s a good company, I’m sure they’ll do you right if you call them. The few manufactures I’ve called on gun issues were always glad to help, and Ruger once threw in some magazines for my trouble. Plus all have always picked up the shipping costs both ways when it is under warranty. Good luck on which ever way you go Markr6754.

Mark, I bought a new S&W model 66 revolver couple of years ago, the new release of it with the new 2 piece barrel and ball/detent lockup. After a cylinder of .357 mag, the gun went out of time, called S&W up, they sent me shipping label and I sent it back myself, but I’m in Ohio, my dealer said he could send it back, but it would cost me shipping, so I just did it myself. You may want to check where you live at about this, FYI.

I love the Springfiled Armory pistols. I have 5 of them and put several thousand rounds through them and never once had any problems. Hopefully I will be adding the Hellcat soon to that line up.
I've got a SA ro compact and the slide lock is hard to put back in after I break down and clean my gun. Is this because it's new or is there a issue with the small spring in the housing?

I only have 2 40's - one is a Taurus PT101AF that was made on original Beretta tooling right when Taurus got started & bought the Brazil plant and retained the local Beretta employees. Great gun, but I like my XDM40 better. I'd like to get full size XDM's in 9, 10 and 45ACP. I also have an XDE in 45ACP, which got me the Gear-Up.

I have a Taurus .44 Mag that came out of that factory. I bought it 30 some odd years ago and it's still flawless. Killed a whole lot of deer with it, including this little guy which I shot at 90 yards ( Photo is at least 20 years old BTW). I'm not a huge fan of Taurus' current offerings, particularly the semi autos.

fCc8gPc.jpg

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Also just in case some of you old guy's eyesight isn't what it used to be ( Like mine) my finger is NOT on the trigger, it's on the trigger housing. ;-)

I got to the party late. I worked my way through law school as a police officer, and had it drilled into my head that Glock was the ultimate handgun. A few months ago (before the world went crazy) I saw an XD Mod.2 at a price I couldn't pass up. The XD was the most comfortable and accurate handgun I had ever fired. The Glocks were terrific for duty work, and have an amazing ability to stand up to the elements and the constant abuse associated with being carried on a duty belt, but the XD was hands-down more pleasant to shoot. I was disappointed to learn that the Mod.2's were on sale because they have been discontinued, but I was able to pick up a Subcompact at Cabela's to go with my full-size 45. I'm hoping that Springfield may reconsider discontinuing the Mod.2 line now that people seem to be buying any semi-auto they can get their hands on.

I was hoping someone may be able to offer some insight, XDS mod 2 ODS with the crimson trace any notable holsters fit the gun?

My one and only Springfield Armory Model 1911-A1 .45 Cal.

Attachments

• 81201498_2643463222399070_5947005627225079808_n.jpg
    81201498_2643463222399070_5947005627225079808_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 185
Back