testtest

Springfield Prodigy 5" with Vortex Viper Red Dot installed

I emailed after the above post. It’s already in the mail. Lol. Bought it to be a placeholder till the STO plate comes in. But the service may get me to stay. Hopefully the optic is good if/when I get a replacement plate and correct screws. Never had different screws in all the mounting and all the platforms. Kinda disheartening. But learned something today.
Don’t forget that you have to unlock the elevation and windage set screws before you zero the dot. This means you will have to remove the dot after it is zeroed to lock them because the rear sight blocks access to them when it’s mounted to the gun. Mine maintained zero when I re-installed it - just about. That’s a system that needs to go away. Mine will be getting an RMR when the plate arrives.

I just recently picked up an IWI Masada and it comes with four sets of plates to handle most of the major footprints and screws to fit. If it can be done with a $400 gun how come it can’t with a $1500 gun.
Did I suggest it wasn't possible?

I was merely responding to the post about screw compatibility provided from the optics manufacturer.

Last edited:
Everyone knocks the Hex Wasp and Dragonfly and I don't really see what's wrong with them. What's so great about all the other Red Dots out there ? I already have a Wasp for my Hellcat which I'll admit has had some battery issues and a Dragonfly for my Prodigy and I don't have any problems with the performance of either one. After all, these are Springfield made and what are supposed to go with each firearm.

Everyone knocks the Hex Wasp and Dragonfly and I don't really see what's wrong with them. What's so great about all the other Red Dots out there ? I already have a Wasp for my Hellcat which I'll admit has had some battery issues and a Dragonfly for my Prodigy and I don't have any problems with the performance of either one. After all, these are Springfield made and what are supposed to go with each firearm.
Like almost all the other "Branded" red dots, they are not actually Springfield made. They are sourced from a Chinese Company. Don't get me wrong, I have Chinese dots. I'm not making a comment on the quality of the Hex or the Dragonfly, just pointing out that they aren't actually Springfield made.

Because after using a Wasp on an RDP, and having 9 years with a pistol mounted dot, my experience across a dozen examples knows the difference. The Hex line is just not there yet.

Like almost all the other "Branded" red dots, they are not actually Springfield made. They are sourced from a Chinese Company. Don't get me wrong, I have Chinese dots. I'm not making a comment on the quality of the Hex or the Dragonfly, just pointing out that they aren't actually Springfield made.
Vortex, Sig, Holosun all offer chinese made reddots.

I appreciate all your input. I'm still curious about what is wrong with the Wasp and Dragonfly performance wise. It's a shame if they're not good when I paid between 2-300 dollars for each one.

I appreciate all your input. I'm still curious about what is wrong with the Wasp and Dragonfly performance wise. It's a shame if they're not good when I paid between 2-300 dollars for each one.
Honestly, what do you want from a red dot? It keeps it’s zero. It turns on and off when you want it to. The dot itself is a decent quality. All the other stuff - shake awake, multi reticle, top mounted battery, USA made, etc is gravy. There are a massive amount of dots on the market running from a few dollars to the price of an expensive pistol and for the most part they all do the job fairly well. What’s wrong with Glocks, Sigs, Springfield? If they are all as awesome as people say why doesn’t everyone by one? The Wasp and Dragonfly are fine. I like Delta Point Pros and Romeo1Pros, but I’m also running a Chinese knock off of an SRO that cost 1/3 of the real thing, has a 3 moa dot and shake awake and so far is working nicely.

I would say the difference is whether or not it is a gun you will use to defend yourself. Particularly carry pistols. ANd even more important if it is a duty pistol. THEN, you need something that is provably, utterly reliable. If I put a dot on a carry pistol, it's almost certainly going to be a DPP. If I was military I would probably have an Eotech on my rifle.

Barring that it really doesn't matter all that much. I have a Venom on my Walther and I have Romeos and Holosuns on my ARs and shotguns. All Chinese.

Yeah. I understand that. My Prodigy is just for fun and a range gun and my Hellcat Pro would be my carry gun if I ever decide to. I have me CCW but I never really have the chance to carry because I'm always at work or somewhere where I feel I don't need it. It's nice to have the option though, just in case.

Back