testtest

Springfield Saint - Quality?

jimmay3

Alpha
Received new out of box rifle with rusted compensator and mag release, marred barrel and with barrel etchings that are barley readable, not the quality I had expected. Comnany does not respond to any communication?

Attachments

• 20211227_161627.jpg
    20211227_161627.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 213
  • 20211226_045230.jpg
    20211226_045230.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211
  • 20211227_161836.jpg
    20211227_161836.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20211227_161704.jpg
    20211227_161704.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 194
Sorry, maybe its your pics, but I don’t see any rust…just typical finish on MIM parts.

And laser-etched markings (like in your barrel) are usually faint.

Any way, I believe the they are nitride treated, which penetrates the surface of the metal itself.

Dunno; do cosmetics really bother you on a fighting rifle?

I hear ya about a fighting rifle, but to look like someone ran some kind of tool on the barrel and the pitting on the comp (rust is up in cracks of vent area more, not best pics) right out of the box is just not a great feeling.

I'm just imbarrased to have an out of box rifle so bad looking (cosmetic or not), I'd be imbarrased to have any pitting or rust on any weapon, let alone what we pay for them now.

I’m sure SA like every company is having supplier, parts, and labor issues. This impacts what they can get for QC.
While I understand your frustration, I’m happy rifles are on the shelves again with prices coming down.

Heck, Im happy when we can run 40% staffed in one of my companies key departments.

Sorry, maybe its your pics, but I don’t see any rust…just typical finish on MIM parts.

^ I am also having a hard time seeing the rust, @jimmay3 ?

Maybe it's my settings on. my end? As with @HansGruber , I truly am having a hard time seeing anything resembling rust/oxidation (I even opened each picture in its own tab/window and viewed as-sized by your upload, not just the thumbnails), and instead see the type of finish that's typical on MIM parts.....

Any way, I believe the they are nitride treated, which penetrates the surface of the metal itself.

Dunno; do cosmetics really bother you on a fighting rifle?
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️ Sorry not seeing rust either but not doubting you. Soak a “white” rag in oil and start wiping it down.

There is not much you can do on receipt of a weapon in a non free state transfered via FFL in a factory sealed box, the gun shop receiving it and the one sending it have nothing to do with damage on a sealed factory box, they will simply pack it up, send it back and charge you for a transfer and return shipping. Physical damage may be able to be claimed on shipping company, but they will claim if the outer packaging is not damaged, then it falls on the mfg for poor packaging.

That certainly looks like a "factory second" or a product sold at a discount with cosmetic defects. While the defects won't likely affect accuracy or performance, they certainly are not features of most off-the-rack Saint's I've looked at in shops. You might have been taken for a ride by the seller in this regard. Do you have a local SA sales rep in your area you can schedule an appointment with? I know Smith & Wesson has a local guy near me that might be able to assist in a similar situation for his products (although if you bought the gun from a source outside the local rep's area, you might be out of luck there too). Good luck.

That certainly looks like a "factory second" or a product sold at a discount with cosmetic defects. While the defects won't likely affect accuracy or performance, they certainly are not features of most off-the-rack Saint's I've looked at in shops. You might have been taken for a ride by the seller in this regard. Do you have a local SA sales rep in your area you can schedule an appointment with? I know Smith & Wesson has a local guy near me that might be able to assist in a similar situation for his products (although if you bought the gun from a source outside the local rep's area, you might be out of luck there too). Good luck.
I worked in the firearm industry for 20 years and can honestly tell you there is no such thing as a “factory second” when it comes to a gun.
He needs to call Springfield Armory and talk to a customer service representative.

I thought so Keystone...but I've not seen a flash hider in that bad condition on a new rifle in a store...

And many websites I browse for gun parts have factory second (blemished) parts, like flash hiders, slides, barrels, etc. Lots of factory blemished ammo too.

Last edited:
^ FWIW, my c.2011 LMT MRP CQB-16 - purchased new from a very highly thought of local brick-and-mortar small-business - carried quite a number of cosmetic blemishes.

I had the opportunity to inspect several different new-in-box examples at the time of purchase, and they all had varying levels of cosmetic shortcomings.

I'm *_not_* suggesting that any consumer should be willing to accept cosmetic shortcomings with their AR15 purchases, particularly at today's levels of QA/QC. However, I think it should be noted that not all -even at the "higher tiers"- are necessarily going to be white-glove perfect, either.

My opinion only here, I never buy a firearm over the internet or sight unseen, I go to my shop, examine the gun I plan on purchasing, if my shop doesn’t have what I am looking for, I have the shop find and order one, then when it arrives I examine it, with my shop, you are not obligated to buy what you ordered, which I think is cool, not sure if other shops have a similar procedure

^ I agree, @Annihilator - but it seems that the OP's situation is a bit more complicated, as his follow-up reads:

There is not much you can do on receipt of a weapon in a non free state transfered via FFL in a factory sealed box, the gun shop receiving it and the one sending it have nothing to do with damage on a sealed factory box, they will simply pack it up, send it back and charge you for a transfer and return shipping. Physical damage may be able to be claimed on shipping company, but they will claim if the outer packaging is not damaged, then it falls on the mfg for poor packaging.

Given the transfer fee and return shipping, I'd be more inclined to accept, and then pursue the case with the manufacturer, hoping for their understanding and compassion, and a bit of courtesy-in-ownership. :)

Actually it’s a tough call on this, I still strongly say that he gets ahold of Springfield’s customer service and see what they have to say about it.

Back