testtest

State of the Union - Employment

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Well, where are all the folks that were in the workforce previous ?
We cant seem to find folks that want to work, and when/if they show up, gone in a few weeks.
Merchandising stores, warehouse work pulling stock.

2 yrs ago it was $13 hr job.
We have raised wages to $18 hr, $500 sign on bonus after 30 days and benefits after 30 hrs work week

Cant keep anyone.
Cant find anyone

“This is work” is the excuse for leaving

Can we get some MEN and WOMEN back who actually want to work !!!!!
Society today 🤯🤯🤯

My daughter was talking about this the other day. From what she has heard in her job in the education environment is that the baby boomers held a very large segment of "the working segment, of the available workforce" since Covid larger than normal numbers of the workers who could retire, have done so. This included a lot more than anticipated in the group that normally would work later in life.

If this is true I have no real idea but it does tend to ring true since I indeed retired a couple of months ago. And I also always figured on working at least two more years. Now in my case covid had little, but not nothing at all, to do with it but other medical issues did. And I will admit, being in an enclosed environment with dozens of kids many of which were constantly ill did play a consideration. Indeed this is the first time in a dozen years that I have not had two colds since Sept.

According to the news there are 10 million job vacancies, and 7 million single adult males (18-50) sitting on the couch placing video games & waiting for the next govt check to arrive in the mail. The current administration dropped the work requirement & extended the unemployment period because of the massive never-ending covid emergency.

When Covid came I finally thru in the towel. I was sick and tired of sick employees and sick customers! LGS owner didn't want me to go after 5 years but had had enough. Between military retirement and Social Security i knew I would be fine. To this day LGS can't keep a person longer than 3-4 months and they are gone. I was full time but these people are part time and would rather stay home. I can see that the future will be dim.

My customer base in general has had issues finding employees for many years (for a variety of reasons, Covid being the latest). Most have decided to downsize their business and do what they can with what they have, and pass up opportunity for growth. This is why you have trouble finding a contractor to come to your house for just about anything these days, let alone call you back when you leave them a message. It helps explain why 10 years ago I paid $9k to re-shingle my roof, and today the job would cost over $20k with the same type of shingle.

Working from home was growing before 2020 and hasn't slowed. What started for many as part time work has recently turned full time. Many jobs are now outsourced to self employed home workers. Finding skilled craftsman is damn near impossible but this has been true for the last 20yrs but has significantly worsened in the last 5/7 yrs. I find it very troubling that skilled trades are no longer pushed as opportunities. Not much "free" money being given out in my state but still have difficulty staffing jobs.

Well, where are all the folks that were in the workforce previous ?
We cant seem to find folks that want to work, and when/if they show up, gone in a few weeks.
Merchandising stores, warehouse work pulling stock.

2 yrs ago it was $13 hr job.
We have raised wages to $18 hr, $500 sign on bonus after 30 days and benefits after 30 hrs work week

Cant keep anyone.
Cant find anyone

“This is work” is the excuse for leaving

Can we get some MEN and WOMEN back who actually want to work !!!!!
Society today 🤯🤯🤯
it's like the trucking industry.

many times, companies offer hiring bonuses of "up to", $5,000 (paid in installments after xx number of months of employment)

but in the trucking industry, "job hopping" was the big thing to do, to find better paying jobs, benefits, miles, or hours.

but job hopping eventually hurts the employee, as a potential new employer thinks, "well, he won't stay here long, why should i hire him"?

i think this is what is happening due to the covid shut downs. people were highly dissatisfied with thier employer, so it was time to scatter and find jobs in different fields. so one area would see a rise in jobs filled, while other jobs, due to lack of pay, benefits, hours, still see low numbers of job seekers.

My daughter works at a pizza shop. Has been there about 13 months. As far as in store workers (not manager or delivery driver) she has the most seniority. They hire someone, they work a few months at most, and then they are gone. Turnover is pretty much the same for new delivery drivers.
The have managers and drivers that have been there for years, but new hires just don't last.

Another, probably intended, consequence of the C-19 reactions and lockdowns. Companies were forced to figure out how to exist without employees physically at their business. The ones that couldn't went bankrupt. The ones that could continue to contribute to the tax base while subsequently putting their ex employees on the government teat.

Around here at least those businesses that were locked down were targeted. Politically.

Today's generation makes me shake my head. My Dad is 81 just retired the school district kinda forced him out and he runs circles around people 30 years younger than him and YES he still rides his Harley. My Mom is 79 retired nurse and during the pandemic even though she uses a cane to help her walk went back to nursing to help out with the shortages albeit she did walk slow she still dug in and helped out...

Today's generation makes me shake my head. My Dad is 81 just retired the school district kinda forced him out and he runs circles around people 30 years younger than him and YES he still rides his Harley. My Mom is 79 retired nurse and during the pandemic even though she uses a cane to help her walk went back to nursing to help out with the shortages albeit she did walk slow she still dug in and helped out...
I am 54, or will be Sunday, and I work circles around all the young guys they got coming in at work. Totally different work ethic.

So basically you're saying you're wiling to work like a slave while younger people won't.
He was probably raised like I was. When you agree to take a job, and the money offered. No matter if it's 29 cents to pick strawberries or 25 bucks an hour for a job you do the job 100 percent to the best of your ability and you do it THIER way.

You don't like it you find another job, but you always do what you agreed to. It's called honor and pride.

Just when I start thinking we are circling the drain, I meet a young person who “has it together” as they say. Probably more than anything else, these kinds of kids (and I am using “kids” loosely since I am talking about people in their 20’s and 30’s) are a result of parents who took being a parent seriously. You are doing a person a huge disservice by not giving them graduated responsibility as they grow up. There is much more needed than enrolling kids in T-ball, soccer, etc.

Back