testtest

State of the Union - Employment

it's like the trucking industry.

many times, companies offer hiring bonuses of "up to", $5,000 (paid in installments after xx number of months of employment)

but in the trucking industry, "job hopping" was the big thing to do, to find better paying jobs, benefits, miles, or hours.

but job hopping eventually hurts the employee, as a potential new employer thinks, "well, he won't stay here long, why should i hire him"?

i think this is what is happening due to the covid shut downs. people were highly dissatisfied with thier employer, so it was time to scatter and find jobs in different fields. so one area would see a rise in jobs filled, while other jobs, due to lack of pay, benefits, hours, still see low numbers of job seekers.
Some time last year I heard an ad on the radio for a company hiring drivers in Detroit and they were giving $15000 sign on bonuses.

Just when I start thinking we are circling the drain, I meet a young person who “has it together” as they say. Probably more than anything else, these kinds of kids (and I am using “kids” loosely since I am talking about people in their 20’s and 30’s) are a result of parents who took being a parent seriously. You are doing a person a huge disservice by not giving them graduated responsibility as they grow up. There is much more needed than enrolling kids in T-ball, soccer, etc.
Participation trophies was one of the worst ideas for kids. Life does not have participation trophies, or it did not. Who know what the future holds.

From the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 8.04.36 AM.png

You also have to look at the labor participation rate.

ARTICLE DECEMBER 2013

Labor force projections to 2022: the labor force participation rate continues to fall​

Because of the decreasing labor force participation rate of youths and the prime age group, the overall labor force participation rate is expected to decline. The participation rates of older workers are projected to increase, but remain significantly lower than those of the prime age group. A combination of a slower growth of the civilian noninstitutional population and falling participation rates will lower labor force growth to a projected 0.5 percent annually.

Plus, add in the new fad of showing up for work, not doing much, then just not showing up again & quitting. I think the term for that is "Quiet Quitting".

Last edited:
2nd (and 3rd) order effects will be ugly. Industries that can't find people to work WILL find other solutions. Once they find that solution, why go back? Then what happens when people finally decide they NEED the work.....and it doesn't exist......? The robot revolution is coming.😂:sneaky::oops:
True for many sectors, and has been increasing for a long time. Many industries that have experienced large job losses, and that people blame on a host of reasons, are largely the result of automation more than anything.

We are in kind of a perfect storm. The generation reaching retirement is greater in size than those coming in to the labor force, and it is a long term problem we are going to need to solve. I work with a mid sized company that will have 1/3 of their staff retire in the next three years and they are incredibly anxious. The answer will be more automation, more remote workers, more work for those left, less services, etc. Covid, among other reasons, has given many the push they needed to start their own business while pushing others to early retirement. Look around at how many are now self employed in about any service you can imagine. Dual income families are changing priorities and more are becoming one income families for more of a family life. Teens are incredibly involved in activities today and many don't have the time to work. The academic schedule of some of these kids would put most of us to shame. Daycare cost and availability that has kept a parent out of the workforce as paying daycare can exceed income earned. A less friendly immigration environment that has impacted the unskilled labor force. Many of these are jobs that most of us wouldn't consider. These are some of the multiple causes that are all hitting at the same time. When historians look back at this moment, it will been seen as an inflection point that created significant change in our society. Some good, some bad.

Some time last year I heard an ad on the radio for a company hiring drivers in Detroit and they were giving $15000 sign on bonuses.
that "might" have been for a team operation. but like anything else, "read the fine print". with some companies you must be employed there for 1 year, some 6 months. then of course, you get monthly checks that are taxed as well, until you reach the bonus payout.

i always sought after jobs that did not offer any such hiring bonuses, as i always liked telling the boss or the company what he can do with a fire extinguisher (or any other inanimate object) ...............if he/they ticked me off enough.......

Participation trophies was one of the worst ideas for kids. Life does not have participation trophies, or it did not. Who know what the future holds.
my kids never got any such trophies....as far as i know too, they don't allow thier kids to accept any.

the world went soft decades ago.

even in the military, DI's, cannot yell at a recruit anymore, so i guess the enemy must serve milk and cookies to the POW's as well..????

He was probably raised like I was. When you agree to take a job, and the money offered. No matter if it's 29 cents to pick strawberries or 25 bucks an hour for a job you do the job 100 percent to the best of your ability and you do it THIER way.

You don't like it you find another job, but you always do what you agreed to. It's called honor and pride.
That’s where young people lacking most of them don’t want to do 💩

Bassbob said: "I'm saying I was raised to have some pride and dignity in the job I do regardless of the pay and regardless of the politics of the situation."....... and;

somorris said: "Just when I start thinking we are circling the drain, I meet a young person who “has it together” as they say.".... and .... "You are doing a person a huge disservice by not giving them graduated responsibility as they grow up." .......and;

I can't argue or find fault with either one. They both hit the proverbial nail on the head. So many kids today have grown up in the 'Participation Trophy' days, never been required to produce anything, had so little expected of them, spent the best of their days on video games, social media, etc, etc, etc, that there is very little self respect and personal responsibility these days in the young masses. And it's not only the work force ...................but;

My wife and I were dining out a few nights ago and for some reason it just hit me like a load of bricks .... every young lady working in that restaurant, probably 10-12, ........ I'm talking primarily high school age girls, were really heavy. Now I would never say that to any of them because my comment is not in a personal vein towards any of them. My observation was that when I was a teen in school and even in my 20's (their average ages I'm sure), it seems the girls worked very hard to stay shapely and slim, and especially in swimming season. Most of the jocks did as well. Now this may have been primarily due to some very primitive and subconscious need to help attract a mate, who knows. I never was very good in biology but I did know what I liked....... anyway;

I mentioned it to my wife and she explained that the majority of them (young women) no longer have that personal need to be slim and 'bikini appropriate'. That personal appearance and sensuality are not as important today as back in the 60's and 70's.

Now I can appreciate their personal confidence and feeling of self worth as they are, even admire it, but where did they lose that desire to be attractive to the opposite sex, or to 'attract a mate'? I don't mean to be flippant here but I am curious as to what became the attitude difference between back then and now. And whether or not that same or similar attitude difference may have something to do with the general lack of self respect and personal responsibility in the usual work force?

Just something to ponder y'all!!!!

I am 54, or will be Sunday, and I work circles around all the young guys they got coming in at work. Totally different work ethic.
A happy soon to be birthday Bob, I hope it’s a good one. The celebration of my 65th year will be mid January and I feel the same way you do and have no issues commenting to the younger employees I work with that they don’t have a good work ethic.

In fact there is one employee where I work that has no anger management control whatsoever and literally every shift I work with him he has totally lost his mind over being directed to do something he either doesn’t agree with or simply doesn’t want to do, his outburst include throwing things and using profanity loud enough for customers to hear and although his behavior has been reported to upper management multiple times the company refuses to intervene.
Trust me when I say I keep my eyes on him as much as possible when I’m on shift with him as it’s impossible to know when he’s going to have a meltdown.

Let’s me just say I find it reprehensible that the company has done nothing especially in today’s environment of disgruntled employees taking their anger out on innocent people and I’m currently looking for other employment.

I grew up on a farm where there was never any question about whether you worked. Hard work was expected and valued from a young age.

I am back on a farm in retirement in farm country in NW Florida. When I still had the hay business it was a real challenge finding help. Some never showed up, some quit after a day or two, and a few lasted a couple hours. A few really took pride and applied themselves. One of the best was a college football player home for the summer.

Farm boys are the gold standard because they don't mind work and they are in great demand among farmers and construction outfits. Kids with good work ethic will be successful. Those with a sense of entitlement who do not have a work ethic will enter the job market with shock, resentment, and anger. Some will get it but some never will. I wish we still had the draft and compulsory service. For many it is their only hope.

Last edited:
I grew up on a farm where there was never any question about whether you worked. Hard work was expected and valued from a young age.

I am back on a farm in retirement in farm country in NW Florida. When I still had the hay business it was a real challenge finding help. Some never showed up, some quit after a day or two, and a few lasted a couple hours. A few really took pride and applied themselves. One of the best was a college football player home for the summer.

Farm boys are the gold standard because they don't mind work and they are in great demand among farmers and construction outfits. Kids with good work ethic will be successful. Those with a sense of entitlement who do not have a work ethic will enter the job market with shock, resentment, and anger. Some will get it but some never will. I wish we still had the draft and compulsory service. For many it is their only hope.
i always believed in the draft as well...2 years(??) mandatory military service, like if i recall is mandatory in Israel.????

i think it makes one appreciate all that they have, by giving something back to thier country.

"don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what YOU CAN DO, for your country"..

someone famous said that a time or two.......

I don’t know how things are in your neck of the woods, but I don’t know a single person, other than retirees, who are unemployed. I don’t know anyone who is getting “free money.” Even the high school aged teens I know have jobs, although they do seem to change jobs because of crappy bosses and/or they are expected to work ridiculous schedules that conflict with their studies. Maybe where you folks live there are a lot of lazy people, but where I live I don’t know any.

I don’t know how things are in your neck of the woods, but I don’t know a single person, other than retirees, who are unemployed. I don’t know anyone who is getting “free money.” Even the high school aged teens I know have jobs, although they do seem to change jobs because of crappy bosses and/or they are expected to work ridiculous schedules that conflict with their studies. Maybe where you folks live there are a lot of lazy people, but where I live I don’t know any.
That's nice, but the numbers don't lie and your hometown clearly isn't a microcosm of the real world.

Back