testtest

Steel casings / XD-s 9mm?

Peglegjoe

Professional
Founding Member
Think they'd be OK in the XD-s? Looks to be about all I can find to stock up on at the moment (Wolf). Using for practicing at home. Strip and clean after every session (cleaning / Hoppe's is as therapeautic for me as the shooting itself!). Think I'd have any unusual wear issues?

Think they'd be OK in the XD-s? Looks to be about all I can find to stock up on at the moment (Wolf). Using for practicing at home. Strip and clean after every session (cleaning / Hoppe's is as therapeautic for me as the shooting itself!). Think I'd have any unusual wear issues?
There are studies out there of guns being fired for 10s of thousands of rounds using steel and brass showing no considerable difference in chamber wear between the 2 types of cases. Other members on here may have different thoughts or experience on this subject.

Steel case ammo may have cycling issues in certain guns. I've had issues with steel chambering in a P365 and an LC9s pistols but it works fine in a Vp9, M&P shield & M&P full-size I've loaded it into.

If the ammo is can be found at a reasonable price I'd pick it up and with the worst case scenario it doesn't work for you then you can sell it pretty much right away with the scarcity of available ammo now.

If using steel cased in an AR platform I stick a small piece of electrical tape on the brass deflector to limit potential wear on the finish. I'm not sure if this is even an issue but it's a preventative step I take.

I've shot thousands of steel case Wolf 9mm 115 grain FMJs in my XD-M 9mm 5.25 inch competition model. Zero issues. Up until recently, the cost of cheap factory steel case versus reloaded brass case ammo in 9mm wasn't worth the return on time. I reload 10mm and 45 acp with cast bullets for $5 a box of 50, compared to nearly a dollar a round for self-defense ammo in the same calibers. The most costly right now is 38 Special for target shooting factory ammo! I have been warned that the coating on steel case might build up in the chamber, but haven't noticed it myself.

Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind and if I can snag some steel case I will. Place online showed available when I posted my question; when I went back to order, it showed out of stock. $0.26/rd, 1,000 rd package.

Dammit.

I've had Tula/Wolf steel cases (non-coated) hang-up in my XDM 19 rd. mags from time to time. Based on that I only use those brands for practice, and would not use for self-defense if possible.

However, my Glock mag PCC eats all that 100%, so things can vary between firearms.

My .02

Last edited:
Back