testtest

Strange Noises in the Night

It seems the American way is to mess up a beautiful place then move to another place and mess that up. The ones left in the messed up places are the people who are too financially challenged to move somewhere else.
You might research the native tribes who live on the north shore of Alaska, and their movement(s) down the coastline, and why. Fascinating.

I like 4 legged critters better than most 2 legged ones and I hope in my last days I can be in that kind of back country. I have lived in the Sierra Nevada then the Tetons and then the mountains and deserts of Arizona and my life was much simpler then. Went in to town to get mail and grub along with news updates while having coffee with some others that made the trip to town. We all helped each other when help was needed and no miserable electronics to screw up your day or get hacked but sometimes a invite to a neighbors for supper and admired the new pup or colt that was now part of the family. I have had my share of jug heads but not many like to prowl around a person who doesn't sleep normal hours and one of my favorite movies is Second Hand Lions so it seems that I will live in town for now as it's a must for my wife's needs but if I last longer than she does my son and daughter will return me to one of those few hidden places that still exist and is known by a chosen few.

We have more of them than we can shoot. Season is open 11 months of the year and we never take as many as wldlife biologists would like. And their numbers are always increasing.

That said, I don't kill coyotes unless I have to.
In Utah, we have a bounty on them, plus, no license required.

Many people are surprised to learn that Vancouver Island has the largest concentration of mountain lions in N. America.

We have a very healthy population where I live as well, and people regularly see them in neighborhoods, on the hillside behind our house, etc. My wife saw one last year walking down the road behind our house in broad daylight, just strolling along. And one was shot last week in a neighbor's yard, unfortunately, it had already killed the family dog.

They actually concern me more than bears do, and we have no shortage of those, either. Cats and moose are my biggest concerns when hiking around here.
I have heard of people sewing patches that look like eyes on the back of their headgear to scare off big cats. Heard, not seen

Winter is coming down, so a lot of animals are getting ready, whether it foraging, making a home or looking for a cozy place to settle for the winter. Then we have the large predators, coyotes, bobcats and bears plus the eagles, hawks, turkey vultures and owls. I got face to face a couple times with coyotes at night, a couple foxes and a bear. All they usually want is to go about their business, nothing else. Nature noises are very distinctive from human-made noise. I usually don't react until my dogs really freak out. Last time it was a bear passing by, and the time before that is was a coyote hiding in the bushes...

We do have livestock, so it's not all "kumbaya, one with nature folklore" all the time, but it mostly is. It is fascinating to watch nature taking its course right in your backyard. We are lucky in NH.

This happened to me one morning at work. The video ended because when he bit me I dropped my phone and got out my pepper spray. I heard some on the ground right in front of him he's stuck his nose in it and he never approached another human being again that I saw.

FWIW that was Evergreen Cemetery in Colorado springs.

Thank you for posting this video, it made my day. I’ve played with several fox & yote pups. They are all curious & cute as He)).

Here's the issue with killing coyotes: they're smart. They do a roll call and when one of the members are found to not call back the females ramp up puppy production. There's a reason they went from prairies to cities, including NYC

This is our land owners Coyote protection. They bark more at the Yotes than the noise the yotes make 😏

IMG_9821.jpeg
IMG_4143.jpeg

I woke to screaming in the night like someone getting killed in the backyard. Threw some pants on and grabbed a gun and flashlight. Nothing. Happened twice more until I shined the light in a tree and saw a racoon family looking back at me. I guess they were having family troubles.
We have these little guys in NH, Fisher Cats. They sound like screaming babies, and just like babies, they can scream for hours

1698770344626.png

Back