testtest

Strange Noises in the Night

We have indeed encroached on their territory. But, they need to respect humans enough to not (hopefully) attack us when we run into one another. That is the “boundary” I was talking about, not geographical boundaries or anything like that.
Not to argue, but certain animals as we know will under certain circumstances. will always be agressive.Coyotes in packs.We had a large fire here a couple years ago and mountain lions & many other critters came looking for food and water. If a mountain lion is hungry, and you run into them out there.You have a problem. In my life I have noted that most of the time. They come up on you from the back and have you by the neck before you know they are there. They just have no darn respect.

I have a relative who is a retired medical examiner of 30+ years from Canada. I once asked him about the injuries from bear attacks. He said he didn't see a lot of bear deaths but quite a few mountain lion deaths, which surprised me. They bite the neck. Regarding bear deaths, he told me he had one case where the bear "killed him big time, I mean big time!". I didn't ask to see photos.

We have coyotes here in NW Florida. They are not native. We hear them often at night. I am conflicted about hunting them as they will take feral piglets and they help control rats and mice.

Last edited:
I have a relative who is a retired medical examiner of 30+ years from Canada. I once asked him about the injuries from bear attacks. He said he didn't see a lot of bear deaths but quite a few mountain lion deaths, which surprised me. They bite the neck. Regarding bear deaths, he told me he had one case where the bear "killed him big time, I mean big time!". I didn't ask to see photos.

We have coyotes here in NW Florida. They are not native. We hear them often at night. I am conflicted about hunting them as they will take feral piglets and they help control rats and mice.
We have more of them than we can shoot. Season is open 11 months of the year and we never take as many as wldlife biologists would like. And their numbers are always increasing.

That said, I don't kill coyotes unless I have to.

We have more of them than we can shoot. Season is open 11 months of the year and we never take as many as wldlife biologists would like. And their numbers are always increasing.

That said, I don't kill coyotes unless I have to.
The same here. Ranchers shoot them some for obvious reasons but I haven't shot one in probably 35 years. If anything isn't a threat to me or mine, pass on by.

The same here. Ranchers shoot them some for obvious reasons but I haven't shot one in probably 35 years. If anything isn't a threat to me or mine, pass on by.

I agree. I only shoot something I plan to clean and eat or something that is attacking me or someone else.

Not intending to highjack the thread, but this seems like a good place to throw this story in. I have often read about “things that go bump in the night.” A few weeks ago, a loud crash woke me up about 2:00 a.m. I thought somebody was in our house, or could be. I got out of bed, put on my robe, and grabbed my XDe out of a drawer. Most of my guns are in a safe, but it is only my wife and I here so I keep a few loose “just in case.” After I woke up a little, I realized our dog was quiet, so I relaxed just a little. I still checked the house and found a “Command Hook” hangar had turned loose and a large pot hanging there hit the floor. What a relief!

I know quite a few here are LEO’s, etc. Even for them, I think it is different when it is in your house. It is hard to train for waking up in the middle of the night and going from zero to full alert and ready to fight, whether it is a coyote across the road or something more threatening!

I agree. I only shoot something I plan to clean and eat or something that is attacking me or someone else.

Not intending to highjack the thread, but this seems like a good place to throw this story in. I have often read about “things that go bump in the night.” A few weeks ago, a loud crash woke me up about 2:00 a.m. I thought somebody was in our house, or could be. I got out of bed, put on my robe, and grabbed my XDe out of a drawer. Most of my guns are in a safe, but it is only my wife and I here so I keep a few loose “just in case.” After I woke up a little, I realized our dog was quiet, so I relaxed just a little. I still checked the house and found a “Command Hook” hangar had turned loose and a large pot hanging there hit the floor. What a relief!

I know quite a few here are LEO’s, etc. Even for them, I think it is different when it is in your house. It is hard to train for waking up in the middle of the night and going from zero to full alert and ready to fight, whether it is a coyote across the road or something more threatening!
Can your dog hear? Something like a pot crashing to the floor would cause utter chaos with my dogs barking and running out to check things...

Having started the thread, I would welcome anything that fits under the title...I'm surprised more haven't chimed in with stories of things causing them to grab their "tool of choice" to check things out...or just weird stuff!

Just now while checking in to this forum before lumbering off to work, a pack of coyotes all started hooting across the street from my place (4:45am, southern WI, edge of small town of 6k). I see them all the time but never heard that kind of racket before (lived here 20 years). I feel sorry for any neighbors' cat or dog that just was let out! I hear that this time of year they are mating and are more dangerous than normal...Too bad it's illegal for me to discharge a firearm where I live (but across the street it is not!).
Well, walk across the street to where it is legal and go to town on them.

I have a relative who is a retired medical examiner of 30+ years from Canada. I once asked him about the injuries from bear attacks. He said he didn't see a lot of bear deaths but quite a few mountain lion deaths, which surprised me. They bite the neck.
Many people are surprised to learn that Vancouver Island has the largest concentration of mountain lions in N. America.

We have a very healthy population where I live as well, and people regularly see them in neighborhoods, on the hillside behind our house, etc. My wife saw one last year walking down the road behind our house in broad daylight, just strolling along. And one was shot last week in a neighbor's yard, unfortunately, it had already killed the family dog.

They actually concern me more than bears do, and we have no shortage of those, either. Cats and moose are my biggest concerns when hiking around here.

we have a pack/congress/herd here of four or five with a few small ones. a few months ago the neighborhood leaders put out notice to not leave you small animals out overnight as they might become missing.
our feral cat population has dwindled (y)
(y) (y) which is good. i guess this new bunch likes the little furry pussy cats at night.
we used to have many of the coyotes, then they thinned out. this year they are back
this morning around 3 05 ish am on my way back from the creamery i saw a little fox, havent seen one in long time here.
he stopped and turned to watch as passed by.
cool looking critter

Whenever a cat takes a deer down in someone's yard the newbies just freak out and call F&G to come take the cat away. They did the dame when a couple of young griz would feed in their garbage cans since the idiots put their cans out the day/night before & that just drew them in. F&G had to come & live trap and relocate them. The newbies think MT is Disneyland-like places where they came from.

This winter we've also had black bears that didn't hibernate since they can forage in the city limits & its warmer there due to concentrated housing.

1676080675159.jpeg

The only thing I ever see in my backyard are the squirrels and birds eating the bird seed I put out in the feeders! Such is the hazard of living in suburbia on the East coast.
We have had a pair of bald eagles back there for as long as I can remember. I also see squirrels and birds at the feeders, coyotes, deer, herons, beaver, black faced buzzards, groundhogs, turtles, river otters, owls, snakes, fox, opossum, raccoons and very occasionally bobcats.

I guess what bothers me is that we have so many people moving out here to the high desert. From all over. Mostly from the Midwest and East Coast. And that other coast. Upon arrival. Hey want firearms, all wildlife. and some locals. Removed from their town. they want grass, all sort of vegetation they had from where they lived before. Basically, they want to live in the high desert, but they want it to be exactly like their old home. unfortunately, it seems they are also bringing their politics with them. Most humans it seems are totally detached from the reality of the life that's going on around them. Meaning nature. We live as one with our critters. I don't want to change that.

It seems the American way is to mess up a beautiful place then move to another place and mess that up. The ones left in the messed up places are the people who are too financially challenged to move somewhere else.
Yes , The people who have lived here forever are now basically.Out of luck They refer to the two new large subdivisions as "Cance of the Earth" Prices are through the roof and the rich are taking over

Back