testtest

Stronger recoil spring for XDME 10MM 4.5?

No, as I indicated before it's a permanent unit. I went with a replaceable guide rod & springs.

So Springer and Wolff are both wrong about using their springs on the factory XDM guide rod?

I hope it's not necessary, but I feel I should say that I am not trying to be argumentative, but I'm finding contradictory information and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-193152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-193152_Chrome.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 108
So Springer and Wolff are both wrong about using their springs on the factory XDM guide rod?

I hope it's not necessary, but I feel I should say that I am not trying to be argumentative, but I'm finding contradictory information and I'm just trying to figure it out.
The OEM spring/guide rod assembly is permanently welded with the spring in it. It was intended to be replaced as a unit.

If Springer says their spring can be used with the OEM rod I suggest calling Springer and ask them how they do it. Maybe they have some sort of Jedi power to take apart a welded unit & put it back together again.

Other captive guide rods use a head that screws back in to the rod with an allen screw to capture the spring vs. like a 1911 which is loose when disassembled.

I need to make a correction & walk-things back.

My frame of reference is my XDm 5.25's in 9mm & 10mm (both have non-captive guide rods & springs as per TFLs post above), and my XDm-Elite 3.8 10mm, which has a captive & permanent guide rod/spring assembly.

So, my guesstimate is that the XDm-Elites 4.5 & 3.8 10mms have captive (double-spring at least for the 3.8) whereas the XDm 5.25 have single spring non-captive guide rods because the longer/heavier slides adequately soak up the 10mm recoil forces for proper function.

The shorter/lighter 4.5 & 3.8 need a different spring system to run properly so SA/HS Produkt went with that for those models.

Since there is a XDm-Elite 5.25 in 9mm I checked online to see if SA/HS Produkt went with a captive rod spring system for that larger/heavier model, and they did.

In this TFB review it shows the captive two-spring approach vs. the older/simpler non-captive XDm rod/spring system.

1661221123543.png

So I see why some aftermarket vendors stated that their guide rods weren't for the XDm-Elite vs. the older XDm.

I wonder why they changed from the older/simpler non-captive XDm rod/spring system for this larger/heavier model when it seemed to work just fine.

So I stand corrected & learned something in this thread.

Last edited:
As strange as it sounds I own more glocks on this site than anyone else and the includes @BET7 😲. At last count it was by 1. I have several and all have the largest backstrap on them and some have those rubber overmolded grips. Are you just liking the smaller frames like 9mm, 357sig and 40s&w better for your grip?
D92B9116-8B13-465C-B8D8-E3D60815E8D7.gif

Don’t make me get all my Glocks out now….. I am know as Glockman around my parts ……..lol

While SA hasn't re-released a new XDm-Elite 5.25 in 10mm ("yet"?) I'm glad I have my older XDM 9mm & 10mm 5.25's since the springs are easily replaced vs. the Elite system.

I may have to look for a lightly-used XDm 10mm 5.25 to pair up with my first one.

So, looks like I can use the Wolff spring kit I got if I get a Springer guide rod. Springer says it works with the Elite. Wolff has a guide rod, and while I'm sure it'd work, they don't mention Elite anywhere that I can tell, and their guide rod is listed as working with XDM in 9, 40, and 45. No mention of 10mm. Since in my limited experience, Wolff doesn't respond to tech questions, I'm thinking I'll be picking up the Springer rod, unless I learn of a reason not to.

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220823-094123_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220823-094123_Chrome.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 94
There not on the site, but if you call them up, they can sell you one, that’s how I have done it in the past.
I called Springfield about backup recoil spring assemblies for my Mod2 sub compact’s (9mm 40 and 45ACP) and they sent them to me for free.
When I sold the 9 and 45 they went to the new owners.

A stronger recoil spring will slam a slide forward with more force and still cause u problems, beating the gun 10 mil is a powerful fast recoiling round. Id stay stock

A stronger recoil spring will slam a slide forward with more force and still cause u problems, beating the gun 10 mil is a powerful fast recoiling round. Id stay stock

I agree it will slam home harder with a stiffer spring, but feel like it's slamming into the limit of travel harder. I obviously can't prove this.

One must balance spring and/or slide weight with load power.

OEMs typically choose their spring weight based on an average load.

With 10mms load power varies from mild to nuclear (Buffalo Bore/Underwood). If one is going to feed a 10mm nuclear loads the majority of the time tuning the spring weight (for SA XDms = 18 lbs. standard) using 20 or 22 lb. springs with the desired load isn't really a big deal.

Plus, there's difference between the lighter XDms (4.5 & 3.8) vs the heavier XDM 5.25. The 5.25 soaks up a bit more recoil travel due to the longer/heavier slide.

IME, a 20 lb. spring is a good compromise since I use the Buffalo Bore/Underwood loads when out in the woods with my 5.25 in my area.

With my Lone Wolf long-slide (6") 10mm the extra slide mass soaks up the nuclear loads with a standard G20 recoil spring assembly.

My .02

Last edited:
Got the Springer rod, which allows me to use the XDM Wolff springs. Can definitely tell a difference racking it with the 22 lbs spring. Haven't fired it yet. Still have to take the dremel to the ends of the springs.

Back