testtest

Stupid guns!

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
Why can't they have reusable ammuntion so I don't have to keep buying it? I guess I'll have to make do with something that does until this ammunition thing cools down. Like a new bow and arrows. I didn't know how fun archery is until I got sick of stupid expensive bullets and bought a bow :) Thanks to the people who educated me on archery a few months back, I appreciated the advice when I bought one this afternoon :)

Attachments

• 20210122_122913.jpg
    20210122_122913.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 206
Why can't they have reusable ammuntion so I don't have to keep buying it? I guess I'll have to make do with something that does until this ammunition thing cools down. Like a new bow and arrows. I didn't know how fun archery is until I got sick of stupid expensive bullets and bought a bow :) Thanks to the people who educated me on archery a few months back, I appreciated the advice when I bought one this afternoon :)
I love archery also. Grats on that setup.

Yup, archery ROCKS. Taught it for years at a summer camp.

Trick for finding arrows in the grass in the summer? Shoot barefoot. I guarantee you'll feel 'em and never see 'em. They burrow under when you miss the target. After a while you'll get a feel for "I missed this direction" equals "it went that far in the grass".

Keep your bow (strong) wrist angled in, it'll keep the bowstring off your forearm (it hurts less that way!). Keep your draw elbow straight out. Draw to the same point on your cheek every time. Don't adjust windage with your torso, adjust it with your feet and keep your torso locked. Use your cheek draw point to adjust elevation; keep your shoulders and waist locked.

I should dig my old compound out, and see about finding a string for it. The upper body workout might do my old bones some good! But, shooting is shooting - focus on the target, your stance, and the projectile is all just as "zen" as firearms shooting. Enjoy!

Yup, archery ROCKS. Taught it for years at a summer camp.

Trick for finding arrows in the grass in the summer? Shoot barefoot. I guarantee you'll feel 'em and never see 'em. They burrow under when you miss the target. After a while you'll get a feel for "I missed this direction" equals "it went that far in the grass".

Keep your bow (strong) wrist angled in, it'll keep the bowstring off your forearm (it hurts less that way!). Keep your draw elbow straight out. Draw to the same point on your cheek every time. Don't adjust windage with your torso, adjust it with your feet and keep your torso locked. Use your cheek draw point to adjust elevation; keep your shoulders and waist locked.

I should dig my old compound out, and see about finding a string for it. The upper body workout might do my old bones some good! But, shooting is shooting - focus on the target, your stance, and the projectile is all just as "zen" as firearms shooting. Enjoy!
I already caught mu forearm once, and it was in my first string (is it called a volley?). Yeah, there's a good bruise on mt firearm. I do have a lot to learn about positioning and mechanics. I'm looking forward to getting into it. I'll give barefoot shooting a try once the snow melts.

Yep, it has all the same "zen" qualities that I love about getting behind a rifle. Archery is definitely going to keep me not crazy the next few months.

Brace the bow against the first bone in your thumb, not against the cup of your thumb joint. That will force your wrist/hand around enough to keep from getting "string-tattooed".

If it's a consistent issue, they do make leather forearm pads...but proper form is always a better choice. Don't use a trigger, either - get calluses and get your draw hand used to holding the string. You'll get more "feel" that way, and it leads to accuracy and consistency. One finger over the nock, two under, halfway from the tip to the first joint of your index finger. Hook your middle and third fingers so the tips are all lined up, and the string will hit the same spot on each finger for a nice clean release.

I started out in grade school with a 35 LB Recurve Ben Pearson then moved up to a 50 LB Recurve for deer hunting but can't remember the brand . Might have been a Fred Bear.

I know I brought home a lot of bull frogs with that 35LB Recurve. It has been years since I pulled the string on a bow but really enjoyed it when I was younger.

The biggest issue I have with archery these days is the price of bows. 10 years ago you could get a great set up with all the accessories for about $400.

Rights now the same setup would start at $600-$700.

New bows run close to $1k if not more.

Get a Benjamin Air Bow.

The biggest issue I have with archery these days is the price of bows. 10 years ago you could get a great set up with all the accessories for about $400.

I got my entry level setup for just over $550. The prices on some of them were nuts!

I guess it depends on your definition of great. I paid $1300 for my Matthews and that was easily 15-20 years ago. My wife's bow is a Hoyt cam and a half. I bought it around the same time. Over a grand there.

I guess it depends on your definition of great. I paid $1300 for my Matthews and that was easily 15-20 years ago. My wife's bow is a Hoyt cam and a half. I bought it around the same time. Over a grand there.
Top of the line Matthews was about $800 15-20 years ago. I bought a Hoyt about 7 years ago and at that time their top of the line had just reached 1k. So maybe there are some regional price differences going on.

"$1300 and Over a grand..." And to think ..... Native Americans used to just walk out behind the ol' TeePee and cut a stick out of a bush, tied a piece of sinew to it and called it a Bow!!!! (pssst, stupid white men!)

Note: Nothing here is expressed nor implied as an insult to Native Americans nor 'stupid white men'. Simply making a 'funny' observation based on once real world experiences.

Top of the line Matthews was about $800 15-20 years ago. I bought a Hoyt about 7 years ago and at that time their top of the line had just reached 1k. So maybe there are some regional price differences going on.

$800 for just the bow maybe. And the cam and a half was brand new technology when I bought hers. I assure you it was more than $700.

Back