testtest

Survival Skills

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
Survival can take on many meanings and different skills will be needed in different environments.

What set of special skills do you have that can aide in your survival in different settings?

Examples but not limited to:

Do you have urban knowledge (aka street smarts)?

Do you know how to make field medicine?

Do you have tracking skills?

Do you have hunting skills?

Are you an experienced angler?

Are you proficient in defensive/offensive firearm skills?

Do you have a mountain of toilet paper?

Do you practice a fighting art?

Do you have foraging skills?

What scenario is your bug out bug designed for?

We all have different skills sets what are yours?

Last edited:
10mmLife hitting it out of the park today.

I can check off many things on that list except for two that I need to focus on. I am not sure what you mean by making field medicine. I know first aid, but have no clue how to make field medicine.

I also need to up my forage game. I know very few plants that are edible and those are the obvious ones. There is a book I need to pick up to educate myself about foraging. I cannot remember the name, but maybe someone here can share their source.

Like TSF said above, my bag is set up to get me to the house. Once there I can make the really tough decisions.

I grew up a Scout, and camping. I can survive in wilderness if needed...but more importantly, I can get home. I know multiple routes, both commonly traveled (read: potentially blocked if SHTF) and backroads (as far as two-track trails). My vehicles are all 4 wheel drive simply because I live above snow elevation, and the motorcycle in my avatar is an adventure bike that I've successfully ridden on singletrack for miles and miles on end.

Once I'm home...I can make the decisions.

Deer are always in the yard.
Neighbors have chickens (and eggs).
Well water.
19" thick stone walls on the house.
Good sightlines.
4 acres.
Multiple vehicles, so always something around with a full tank. 2 of which are diesels.
Countless streams and rivers in the area.

And...I know how to think. My uncle taught me how to play chess when I was 4 - I can think around corners and analyze situations, to figure out the best solutions. Once you know how to think...the rest falls into place.

10mmLife hitting it out of the park today.

I can check off many things on that list except for two that I need to focus on. I am not sure what you mean by making field medicine. I know first aid, but have no clue how to make field medicine.

I also need to up my forage game. I know very few plants that are edible and those are the obvious ones. There is a book I need to pick up to educate myself about foraging. I cannot remember the name, but maybe someone here can share their source.

Like TSF said above, my bag is set up to get me to the house. Once there I can make the really tough decisions.
My definition of field medicine is two part one being first aid skills and the other being able to improvise if needed like making a splint or stopping a serious wound from bleeding out.

I grew up a Scout, and camping. I can survive in wilderness if needed...but more importantly, I can get home. I know multiple routes, both commonly traveled (read: potentially blocked if SHTF) and backroads (as far as two-track trails). My vehicles are all 4 wheel drive simply because I live above snow elevation, and the motorcycle in my avatar is an adventure bike that I've successfully ridden on singletrack for miles and miles on end.

Once I'm home...I can make the decisions.

Deer are always in the yard.
Neighbors have chickens (and eggs).
Well water.
19" thick stone walls on the house.
Good sightlines.
4 acres.
Multiple vehicles, so always something around with a full tank. 2 of which are diesels.
Countless streams and rivers in the area.

And...I know how to think. My uncle taught me how to play chess when I was 4 - I can think around corners and analyze situations, to figure out the best solutions. Once you know how to think...the rest falls into place.
Sounds like a good set up!

Do you keep road or trail atlas books handy? If there was every an event that shut down technology these would be very useful! We as a society rely on our tech too much and we can be crippled if our GPS devices or phones go down.

-Pilot multi rated including float planes
-skilled at hunting and fishing
-experienced hiker
-proficient in firearms
-avid cook, and can make meals from damn near anything
-skilled gardener
-basic/limited understanding of Spanish(texas)
- good auto mechanic skills. I fix my own stuff except for computer stuff

While I am no longer in shape to do these things , I do know how to camp , grew up hunting and fishing , know how to build a fire ( Birch bark makes great fire starting fodder ) , know a little bit about foraging for food , and know a little about stopping blood loss. I know my directions and used to be able to tell about what time it was just from the position of the sun in the sky

Being as I am on oxygen 24/7/365 , if the world truly were to go FUBAR , I'm not a good candidate to survive. I would certainly give it my best shot though.

I'm not totally educated of foraging and the topic definitely interest me! When this Corona event ends I'll probably sign up for a local class on the subject.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I worked with a guy who would bring a salad to eat for lunch every day. However it wasn't an everyday salad that most would eat. It was made of things from his yard and surrounding edges .

While I am no longer in shape to do these things , I do know how to camp , grew up hunting and fishing , know how to build a fire ( Birch bark makes great fire starting fodder ) , know a little bit about foraging for food , and know a little about stopping blood loss. I know my directions and used to be able to tell about what time it was just from the position of the sun in the sky

Being as I am on oxygen 24/7/365 , if the world truly were to go FUBAR , I'm not a good candidate to survive. I would certainly give it my best shot though.
If the world were to go to hell I got your back! 😁👍

-Pilot multi rated including float planes
-skilled at hunting and fishing
-experienced hiker
-proficient in firearms
-avid cook, and can make meals from **** near anything
-skilled gardener
-basic/limited understanding of Spanish(texas)
- good auto mechanic skills. I fix my own stuff except for computer stuff
Impressive skill set!

I have a few of the skill sets I listed at the top of the post and I intend to work on some of the ones I'm weak in. Another set of skills for me is that I try and remain healthy by eating right having never smoked or drank alcohol and I workout on a regular basis.

We all have different skills sets with strengths and weakness that can always be improved upon.

Is one person more skilled then another? I think the answer depends on what set of skills is needed in the moment.

Just my thoughts!

Last edited:
@10mmLife, coincidently enough I was having a “B.O.B” conversation with a few friends the other day and it may have been because of what is going on. That being said is there a topic on what we/forum members have in a B.O.B? Would be a neat thread that some that would like to learn or get one together, of course depending on several things, terrain, situation you may be encountering ect.

Back