testtest

T-54/55 Tanks: Russia’s 70-Year-Old Tanks Go Back to War

I found this video and took a pic of Uke tech truck with (what looks like Vickers) WW I water cooled machine gun?

Uke Tech Truck Vickers WW I.jpg

Forced conscription of convicts, a mass exodus of draft-age males, logistical networks crumbling and now trying to re-field 70-year old hardware. I don't imagine Putin saw it coming to this a year ago. Then again, that's what extreme hubris and surrounding yourself with "yes men" gets you.

ZFG.

They may need to resort to 70 yr. olds to fill the ranks…on both sides.

Interesting enough with all this “repurposing“ of old surplus, it will be 6-8 months for The Administration to deliver the 30 or so M1A2 Abrams, recalling the M1A1 was going to take longer up to two years to make ready.
Reminds me of the Belgium man who bought up a surplus 50 Leopard-I tanks for parts, now his speculation on the €40,000 each wants to see a €1 million parlay.

Resorting to refurbishing anything obsolete means something detrimental to the economic war front is afoot. We here can’t rely on our foreign policy advisers, let alone the military logistics experts to line item these costs. Russia teaming up with China was recently deemed as a faltering decision - so says The Administration.

So now it becomes a battle to see who can retrofit or deliver to battle faster. Which amounts to indefinitely extending the unaccountable costs for this, besides all the other aid packages that like continue for two more years.

They may need to resort to 70 yr. olds to fill the ranks…on both sides.

Interesting enough with all this “repurposing“ of old surplus, it will be 6-8 months for The Administration to deliver the 30 or so M1A2 Abrams, recalling the M1A1 was going to take longer up to two years to make ready.
Reminds me of the Belgium man who bought up a surplus 50 Leopard-I tanks for parts, now his speculation on the €40,000 each wants to see a €1 million parlay.

Resorting to refurbishing anything obsolete means something detrimental to the economic war front is afoot. We here can’t rely on our foreign policy advisers, let alone the military logistics experts to line item these costs. Russia teaming up with China was recently deemed as a faltering decision - so says The Administration.

So now it becomes a battle to see who can retrofit or deliver to battle faster. Which amounts to indefinitely extending the unaccountable costs for this, besides all the other aid packages that like continue for two more years.
News this past week indicates the M1A1 SA model will be delivered this late summer/early fall.

UKR tankers have been training on M1As in Poland for several weeks.

Russia has fallen into a trap of their own making. Not only have they depleted their own mil & financial resources, China has sprung their trap on Putin whereas Russia will just be a source of natural resources for China at Chinas' bidding.

Russia is a dying nation.

Last edited:
I found this video and took a pic of Uke tech truck with (what looks like Vickers) WW I water cooled machine gun?

View attachment 37995
Those are M1910 pattern Maxims. Same era, but these were produced as late as the Korean War. These are water cooled and fire the same 7.62x54mmR ammo as modern Soviet/Russian machine guns that Ukraine uses. So it will more than get the job done.

The T-54/55 could not get into an "easier hull down position," in fact, just the opposite. The low profile and the inability of the gun to to depress much less than the M48 meant that the crew actually had to expose more of the tank to get to the top of the hill/ridge to fire the main gun making it a larger target than an M-48/60 in a hull down position.

However, as I said before, don't discount crew training and leadership as vital factors over technical matters. Remember, it was combined arms task forces of the Northern Alliance with modernized T-55s and T-62s which initially beat the Taliban in Afghanistan back in the day. Special Forces helped, but large conventional forces were necessary, it just wasn't ours.

Back