testtest

Taking up pipe smoking

My neighbors are both heavy smokers, so much that I think they're beta testers for cigarette companies.

The husband has had a debilitating stroke & is just recovering from triple-bypass surgery, both smoking-caused, and continues to smoke heavily. Both have large monkeys on their backs.

I so enjoyed smoking a pipe. I quit smoking in 1981 when my youngest son was born. When I retired from the USAF in 2011 they did an MRI on me and incidentally the radiologist could see artifacts of smoking on the aorta. Smoking is a scourge. But the hooks of smoking are so deep that I still crave smoking a pipe more than 40 years later. And Borkum Riff and Captain Black were my brands.

I tried smoking a pipe for a while back in the late 80s. Its a real PITA. Gotta carry the pipe and pouch around. Both of which are bulky. Then you seem to be constantly cleaning the thing and what comes out of it is plumb nasty. :poop: I decided it was more trouble than it was worth and gave it up.

As for myself, I'm having a constant battle with nicotine. Got bad sick a couple of years ago and developed mild COPD. I need to quit. I gotta quit. Don't really have a choice anymore. I can and do quit for anywhere from a day to a month, but I keep falling off the wagon. I was once a two pack a day smoker. At least now I can stretch out a pack for about 3 days. So smoking is an on and off thing for me. I have just a few cigarettes left in the current pack. Once they're gone, I'll quit again for a while. I do keep trying. :rolleyes:
Besides, I'm single and the ladies don't want nothing to do with a smoker these days. So there's that too.

I remember as a kid a guy my mom dated named Rick. He was a falconer and was going to take me on as his apprentice but it never happened unfortunately. Other than the intense birds of prey he had (a red tail hawk male and a fierce looking kestrel) he smoked a pipe and it has always stuck with me so 21 years later I'm trying it.
Any one else smoke a tobacco pipe?
i did for a while

there is a huge difference from smacking your face with a cigar in your mouth, to have it happen with a pipe.

you will pretty much have to keep it on one side of your mouth all the time, like if you are driving...

leave it in your left side...SMACK into that left window if you needed to look out at your mirror, or just look out the window, so leaving it on your right side, you're pretty much "clear" from jamming it into your esophagus.

now, don't forget, pipes are harder than cigars, so over time, you will "press down" on your teeth to keep the pipe in place, making your teeth line drop lower on one side or the other.

you're gonna look like Popeye with a crooked mouth.

regular cleaning too is needed, otherwise, you're gonna suck in liquid tar.

there there are the start up costs...pipe(s) tobaccy, pipe cleaners, pipe cleaning tools,

smoke cigars, cheaper, softer on your mouth when you smack into something, and just as much mouth cancer as chewing tobaccy, and pipes........

I’d pick another habit.
My father had lung cancer and continued to smoke through radiation treatments. He also had dementia; he died of a heart attack which is highly more likely when going through cancer Treatment. It puts a tremendous amount of stress on the body.
You did you but also think about your family.

I started smoking because of Swisher Sweet cigars. A buddy smoked them all the time and I asked him for one one day. Was hooked on them after that one. Then one day I realized that I was inhaling them. Thought well , if I am going to inhale , cigarettes would be better so I switched to smoking cigarettes.

I also worked as a welder and many times I had a cig in my mouth while my welding hood was down , puffing away. I tried to quit smoking several times but finally I was able to kick the habit. I started feeling better soon after I quit but 10 years later I started not being able to walk very far without huffing and puffing , actually gasping for oxygen. I went to a lung Dr and was given a breathing test . I found out I have COPD stage 3 sever meaning I was knocking on stage 4 and was put on oxygen full time . I was knocked out of the work force at the age of 50 and had to go on disability.

It was the hardest thing I have ever had to accept , knowing I had done this to myself .

I want you all to know that I didn't post this to get sympathy. I hope and pray that what I have written might sway anyone reading this to stay away from any tobacco products. I wouldn't wish this life on anyone.

Thread started to ask about pipes and tobacco types and devolves into a PSA on smoking. I'm pretty sure the Woodsman knows smoking is bad for you. We all do.

So maybe we can talk about pipes and tobaccos ??

I tried smoking a pipe for a while back in the late 80s. Its a real PITA. Gotta carry the pipe and pouch around. Both of which are bulky. Then you seem to be constantly cleaning the thing and what comes out of it is plumb nasty. :poop: I decided it was more trouble than it was worth and gave it up.

As for myself, I'm having a constant battle with nicotine. Got bad sick a couple of years ago and developed mild COPD. I need to quit. I gotta quit. Don't really have a choice anymore. I can and do quit for anywhere from a day to a month, but I keep falling off the wagon. I was once a two pack a day smoker. At least now I can stretch out a pack for about 3 days. So smoking is an on and off thing for me. I have just a few cigarettes left in the current pack. Once they're gone, I'll quit again for a while. I do keep trying. :rolleyes:
Besides, I'm single and the ladies don't want nothing to do with a smoker these days. So there's that too.
I know a few guys who switched to a pipe to help them put down cigarettes. It's more work to smoke a pipe, therefore you are going to smoke less. You also don't fully inhale pipe smoke like you do a cigarette. It's much better for your lungs than cigarettes.

I started smoking because of Swisher Sweet cigars. A buddy smoked them all the time and I asked him for one one day. Was hooked on them after that one. Then one day I realized that I was inhaling them. Thought well , if I am going to inhale , cigarettes would be better so I switched to smoking cigarettes.

I also worked as a welder and many times I had a cig in my mouth while my welding hood was down , puffing away. I tried to quit smoking several times but finally I was able to kick the habit. I started feeling better soon after I quit but 10 years later I started not being able to walk very far without huffing and puffing , actually gasping for oxygen. I went to a lung Dr and was given a breathing test . I found out I have COPD stage 3 sever meaning I was knocking on stage 4 and was put on oxygen full time . I was knocked out of the work force at the age of 50 and had to go on disability.

It was the hardest thing I have ever had to accept , knowing I had done this to myself .

I want you all to know that I didn't post this to get sympathy. I hope and pray that what I have written might sway anyone reading this to stay away from any tobacco products. I wouldn't wish this life on anyone.
When I was in my 20s and smoking I worked in a body shop. First day I could not stay inside when they sprayed lacquer. A year later I was standing there smoking while spraying enamel. I knew it was going to kill me. That's the day I started college. Wish i had quit smoking that day too.

I have no idea in this age, why, someone who does not smoke would start. Used to be everyone did even on TV. Today its the cast minority so not nearly the pressure or glamor.

I know a few guys who switched to a pipe to help them put down cigarettes. It's more work to smoke a pipe, therefore you are going to smoke less. You also don't fully inhale pipe smoke like you do a cigarette. It's much better for your lungs than cigarettes.
You must be new here Bob, topics never stay on topic. Any old timer knows that.

Or. You smoke and do not wish you hear it...

You must be new here Bob, topics never stay on topic. Any old timer knows that.

Or. You smoke and do not wish you hear it...
I am less new than you Sid. Yes I smoke, but no I don't mind hearing it. Like every smoker in the last 50 years, we know the consequences. My point is that 50 people have chimed in about people dying of cancer and how terrible it is. Hey, both my grandparents died from lung diseases and smoked, my father beat throat cancer twice, most likely caused by Red Man plug and Levi Garrett. My own lung capacity is significantly diminished after smoking for 44 years now ( yes I started around 10 years old and yes I knew it was bad for me even then). I have figured out that car wrecks will not kill me and mostly I figure I am immortal. For now. I figure in my 60s or 70s I'll be on oxygen and/or get lung cancer and it will kill me. Is what it is. Not like I want to live forever anyway.

Anyway, for all of you who lost loved ones, my condolences. Maybe if you don't have anything to add that will answer the OPs questions it might be nice if you just zipped it.

I am less new than you Sid. Yes I smoke, but no I don't mind hearing it. Like every smoker in the last 50 years, we know the consequences. My point is that 50 people have chimed in about people dying of cancer and how terrible it is. Hey, both my grandparents died from lung diseases and smoked, my father beat throat cancer twice, most likely caused by Red Man plug and Levi Garrett. My own lung capacity is significantly diminished after smoking for 44 years now ( yes I started around 10 years old and yes I knew it was bad for me even then). I have figured out that car wrecks will not kill me and mostly I figure I am immortal. For now. I figure in my 60s or 70s I'll be on oxygen and/or get lung cancer and it will kill me. Is what it is. Not like I want to live forever anyway.

Anyway, for all of you who lost loved ones, my condolences. Maybe if you don't have anything to add that will answer the OPs questions it might be nice if you just zipped it.
Tell ya what Bob, I will zip it when I feel like it not when told to how about that.

Sorry Bob but when it comes to smoking and the damage it does , I will never ZIP it. If I can stop someone from making the mistake of starting to smoke or to get someone to stop when they already smoke then I will do so.

While it is true that some are able to smoke all their lives and not have any severe health issues , very few are in that club.

Sorry Bob but when it comes to smoking and the damage it does , I will never ZIP it. If I can stop someone from making the mistake of starting to smoke or to get someone to stop when they already smoke then I will do so.

While it is true that some are able to smoke all their lives and not have any severe health issues , very few are in that club.
and to think, i worked for a trucking company in RIchmond, VA (they had a terminal up here), and they specialized in smokes from the cig makers down south..RJ Reynolds, Brown & Williamson, Lorillard, Phillip Morris, to name a few that i had been to. many even gave out free samples to us drivers, but i did not smoke, i gave them away up here.

by the truckloads we would take them each and every stinking day, to warehouses up here.

what struck me as "funny" this one time, there was a recall (i forget the brand), where apparently the filters were not working properly (or something like that), and truckloads of cigs had to be taken back to VA.

i was later told, those "defective cigs" were put into containers, and shipped overseas.....

yeah @papa ...multi-million dollars worth of cigs 7 days a week that company hauled cigs up here.

on the 'Black market", worth millions more.

our routes was always the I-95 corridor.....a high probability for hijackings.......

but we didn't have to worry about hijackers, but rather "insiders", truckers for the company in with "nefarious people" ...

when caught, and they did get caught, federal charges were pressed since it was interstate commerce.

we also hauled all sorts of liquor from Kentucky (Bardstown), and high value electronics for the former Circuit City stores..

Guilty, as charged.

Been smoking a pipe for 40+ years and love it. Have no intention of giving it up. Yes I inhale but not as much as cigeretts. Like

Back when I started smoking (age 14) it was socially acceptable. Cigarette commercials all over the TV. Most every place you went had smoking and non-smoking sections. You could smoke in a theater. At school you could go behind the gym and have a smoke. Even Doctor's waiting rooms had ashtrays. A carton of cigarettes was a nice Christmas present for friends or acquaintances. They even came in festive holiday packaging. It was big business and considered perfectly normal.
But the times have changed. Today smokers are the lepers of the 21st century. GET AWAY! GET AWAY! 😧
I actually consider myself lucky. A smoker for more than 50 years, yet my COPD is quite mild. No oxygen or daily meds, But I sure can't do things like I once did nor can I walk long distances anymore. I get out of breath far too easily. A rescue inhaler is now part of my EDC gear.
I need to quit. I gotta quit. I know that. I'm working on it. I will get there.
But even when I am smoking, its nowhere close to what it once was. So at least there's that. :rolleyes:

This thread has actually been of some help to me. My next attempt starts tomorrow. I may just come back and read this again as needed. ;)

Back