testtest

Taurus G3C

I find it hard to get behind a gun that costs less than a case of ammo.
I have shot a lot of the Taurus models and the only one that ever had problems was the mistake they made the released the 24/7 model and that was a fubar. The one I liked best was when the bought the old Baretta 92 plans and I bought the PT 101 which was excellent and if it had not been for hard times I would still have it. My wife has a Taurus model 85 that she has had over 25yrs and has more rounds thru it then I can count and never a hick up. She likes wheel guns and she is a positive backup and will make her impact felt. I may try and pickup a raging bull in the 10mm or get my 41mag back by S&W. most people think that Brazil may have shoddy work but they have improved over the years and the union does not tax them along with other strings. If things should ever goes reall bad a Taurus just might be a golden gun.

Not very fond of Taurus. While working at LGS we sold a few but always seemed to have issues with them. Hi-points seemed to work better! Nobody ever complained about a Hi-point.

@PilatusTurbo what did you end up doing to make it run better?

I apologize for spacing this request for info.

I ended up polishing the feed ramp, and the sides of the ramp where it funnels up into the chamber. There was no chamfering around that portion of the chamber, critically important as this is where the mouth of the case was catching badly inducing jams with even ball ammo.

I had a thread where I asked a question, and detailed some of my work to it:

However, long story short, I took it out after that work I did. It ran ball ammo without a hitch, and even the JHPs it had a little trouble with, without issue. Got home, cleaned it up and reassembled, and readied to load carry ammo into it. Racked the slide, the JHP caught on the bottom of the feed ramp, which was still an issue that persisted intermittently no matter what I did. I was done. Sold it off at a loss. It was at least running, and I just had no patience left for it. It was a problem child out of the gate that I sunk 800 rounds into figuring out. Magazine springs are weak, and Mecgar stated that Taurus handles those; it's just their name on it. Recoil spring assembly was too weak and I had a Lakeline laying around from a G3 I had years ago before I sold it. It was a myriad of problems. I simply wasn't going to ever trust it, so I dumped it.

I learned a lesson on this one. Know when to say when.

I think Taurus' problem is getting big, again. They had some success in the last decade with stuff like the G series pistols, and it's gotten them to get a little lazy. They're also making the exact same mistake Ruger made with their autoloaders, in the sense that Taurus is now chasing every trend, and making a gun model for virtually everyone. Their QC is beginning to slip, again. Not just my story, there are several here and other places that are showing Taurus issues are rearing their ugly heads again. Taurus is even putting heavy emphasis on Customer Service, which like Ruger, is great. Their turn around time was under 2 weeks, but they didn't fix anything. And, like Ruger, I've joined the ranks of people who just say we wish we didn't need Ruger's awesome Customer Service so much to begin with. I've personally had 3 Ruger autoloaders that had big QC misses. I get that this era is rough on QC and manufacturing with shortages and labor issues, but maybe Taurus should stick to the few models that are successful for the time being. Same for Ruger. Additionally, for the life of me, I'll never understand why they changed their successful barrel formulation from the PT 111 G2 and G2C to this new bead blast finish G3C and G3 barrels. I would assume cost cutting, and it has resulted in a substantially less reliable platform, on average.

Back