testtest

The .40 S&W Comeback: Great for Personal Defense and Available During the Ammo Drought

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I'm interested to know if they are still finding .40 S&W for $0.40 a round. From April until mid-December I had found .40 so often at pre-covid prices that I bought an XDS Mod.2 chambered in .40 S&W. I haven't found it on any major retailer's site since Christmas, and the lowest price on ammoseek.com right now is $0.70 (if you buy 1000 rounds). Most sellers are charging $0.80-$0.89 per round, and a lot of them have pretty steep shipping rates. I like the .40 S&W round, but I think the days of it being widely available during the shortage for under $40 per box seem to have already passed.

I'm interested to know if they are still finding .40 S&W for $0.40 a round. From April until mid-December I had found .40 so often at pre-covid prices that I bought an XDS Mod.2 chambered in .40 S&W. I haven't found it on any major retailer's site since Christmas, and the lowest price on ammoseek.com right now is $0.70 (if you buy 1000 rounds). Most sellers are charging $0.80-$0.89 per round, and a lot of them have pretty steep shipping rates. I like the .40 S&W round, but I think the days of it being widely available during the shortage for under $40 per box seem to have already passed.
I'd love it if I could find .40 reliably. It's been a few months since i got my last box.

Store shelves are void of almost every caliber of handgun ammo. I enjoy my 40 S&W but I've been wanting to buy a 10mm for months. I see no sense in buying one if I can find ammo at a somewhat reasonable price. I'll wait until this shortage finally goes away.

Lucky for me I reload .40 and .45 so I have a decent amount of supplies for both. I never considered 9mm since it was so cheap to buy. I do have 9mm dies, brass, and small primers but not bullets. According to my LGS manufacturer's prices have NOT gone up that much it is just availability and the online sellers screwing us.

I think .40 is about as high and hard to find as anything else. This article was spot on about 6-8 months ago, but is not at this point of the pandemic.

Interestingly, the humble .38 Special and its big brother the .357 Magnum seem to be among the most difficult calibers to find. My nephew only carries revolvers and has had a lot of trouble finding it. If you can find it, we are talking $2 per round. I sent him to the LGS I use (he is out of town and had to drive an hour to come here to visit it), and they would only sell .38 or .357 if you also bought a new revolver, and even then, it was limited to 2 boxes.

.40 was one of the last calibers to disappear around here, but now is actually more scarce...reason being that dealers pretty much always ordered 9, so they often had standing orders of x amount per month...but would only order .40 when they started getting low.

So while 9mm does show up from time to time, .40 is gonna be a long time out.

Back